Hey, What’s This Button For?

Sounds like an episode of "I Love Lucy."
Sounds like a fun ride.

Not as fun as you might think. I've known a pilot or two in my day who had to eject from FA-18 aircraft (mechanical failure), and they had to go see the aviation medical doctor before they could be cleared to fly again. Ejecting from a jet is very hard on the body because of the g forces experienced.
Yeah, usually broken arms and legs from being shot into a 200-400 mph wind.
8-10 G's for 2 seconds tends to break extremities..

Last edited:
A-6 landed when his copilot was hanging half way out of the canopy after an accidental ejection. He lived.
upload_2019-4-6_20-3-24.jpeg

Civilian on Fly-Along Accidentally Ejected from Fighter Jet

A civilian was reportedly injured late last month after his ride-along with the French Air Force took an unexpected turn. The man’s ejection seat somehow fired, sending him soaring into the sky. The French temporarily grounded their fleet of Rafale fighter jets pending an investigation.

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/civilian-on-fly-along-accidentally-ejected-from-fighter-1833821292
Nice. I'd put up with the ejection for that sweet ride.

I remember one time while on a carrier, I was standing on Vulture's Row (a safe place to watch the operations down on the flight deck), when a F-14 Tomcat flew by low and slow. When I looked at the plane, I thought there was something strange about it, but didn't know what it was right away. The F-14 flew a circle and then came back and landed on the ship. When I looked at the jet again, I saw why it didn't look right. The nosecone had somehow came unhitched, and it went over the canopy where it left a hole in the front of it.

Fortunately, nobody was seriously hurt. The pilot caught some glass to his face, but that was about it. The nosecone was gone, and the radar that was under it had been pretty badly damaged. They also had to replace the canopy.

At Ubon RTAB, we had OV-10s TDY there. One Aussie got a ride on one. He was F-4 qualified and was going for a checkride on the OV-10. The OV-10 has the yellow handle for ejection on the opposite side and the throttle on the other side unlike the 4. He throttle up, blew the canopy, ejected himself, floated down just ahead of the props. No one was hurt, the Canopy was trashed. Needless to say, his checkride never happened.

When i was a kid i wanted to be a navy pilot ....i almost walked into the recruiting station one day .
at 18 and scratching my head what to do what to do .
almost doesn't count.....but almost ...pretty close

When i was a kid i wanted to be a navy pilot ....i almost walked into the recruiting station one day .
at 18 and scratching my head what to do what to do .
almost doesn't count.....but almost ...pretty close

You would have also needed a college degree. Only officers are pilots in the Navy.

Forum List

Back