Here's an Idea. Ask them (Native Americans)

hylandrdet

Oct 5, 2004
Tennessee
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=6944

Recently, the NCAA, in the most liberal move ever made, decided to ban the use of native american props, during post season tournaments.

I was outraged by the decision of the NCAA and I was equally outraged by the reaction of the conservatives.

I had to hear such crap as "We need to protest the Buffalo Bills, because they offend guys named William".

:puke: Bad Kool Aid!!!

Look it's really simple, ask the native american tribes for permission to use their image. Think about it; if someone were to establish a hockey team called the "Hartford Hylandrs", using my image, I have a fundemental right to say, "Hey! Where's my cut, where's my permission?"

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=6944

Unreal
hydra said:
...Recently, the NCAA, in the most liberal move ever made, decided to ban the use of native american props, during post season tournaments.

I was outraged by the decision of the NCAA and I was equally outraged by the reaction of the conservatives.

I had to hear such crap as "We need to protest the Buffalo Bills, because they offend guys named William".

:puke: Bad Kool Aid!!!

Look it's really simple, ask the native american tribes for permission to use their image. Think about it; if someone were to establish a hockey team called the "Hartford Hylandrs", using my image, I have a fundemental right to say, "Hey! Where's my cut, where's my permission?"

The NCAA is out of control:

http://tampatribune.com/MGBHCC4B1CE.html

``Florida State University is stunned at the complete lack of appreciation for cultural diversity shown by the National Collegiate Athletic Association's executive committee. ... That the NCAA would now label our close bond with the Seminole Tribe of Florida as culturally `hostile and abusive' is both outrageous and insulting,'' Wetherell said Friday in a statement.

State Sen. Jim King, R-Jacksonville, one of FSU's most ardent backers in the Legislature, said a lawsuit challenging the ruling is in the works.

``When a lawsuit is filed - and there will be a lawsuit - the Seminole tribes will be participants in that suit,'' King said.

`Narrow-Minded Policy'

Max Osceola, a member of the five-person Tribal Council of the Seminole Tribe of Florida, said the NCAA's ban is presumptuous. He said NCAA officials did not consult the tribe before issuing their ruling. The tribe passed a resolution in June supporting the school's use of the nickname and tribal images.

``We're not going to change our point of view,'' Osceola said. ``Our tribe has endorsed it, and we would hope another group would respect our wishes, but I guess the NCAA knows better for the Seminoles than the Seminoles do.''

Osceola drew a distinction between FSU's use of the tribe's name and the Washington Redskins. The latter is a name American Indians find offensive, Osceola said...

Forum List

Back