Here’s the answer.

Hey 1%. I love your idea. I have a plan, I will run my business (I do own one) and pay 100% of my profits to my new employee!!!!!!!!!!! My wife. Thanks for 0% taxes no matter how much I make.

I know you will love it when big corps are making even bigger profits for their CEO's. Grats, you once again made the poor pooer and the rich vastly more wealthy!

This is where you start putting caps on how much a wage can be or how much someone can ear before you re-apply the tax you took away. What, 20 mil a year for one person was too much to not tax?

-Raise minimum wage to $23.50/hr. Based on where minimum wage should be using 1970-2013 rise in food, shelter, and transportation.
\
Not that I don't think Min Wage doesn't need to go up but this would be a shock to the system that would be catastrophe,

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-off’s/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, state, and Federal taxes and fees.

How about legit business expenses? Of Course those need to be written off.

-Adjust Social Security and private/public retirement and pension payments using 1970-2013 price structure.

Not sure what that means. But I do think we ought o computer COLA's based on the PRE CLINTON system of computing CPI.

If that were done Social Security recipients would be owned a staggering amount of repayments for the GRAND THEFT this system really has become since the 90s

-Back down ALL costs, prices, fees, to January 1, 2009 levels and hold them for 10 years.

Proce controls are almost always bad idea ..except perhaps in times of WAR or I(REAL) national emergency.

Nixxon tried that, ya know?

It blew up in everybody's faces.

Sure it would be a shock to the system. Almost every American would receive an increase in pay and business would pay zero taxes and fees.

Price controls are also good with huge business subsidies.

-Raise minimum wage to $23.50/hr. Based on where minimum wage should be using 1970-2013 rise in food, shelter, and transportation.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-off’s/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, state, and Federal taxes and fees.

-Adjust Social Security and private/public retirement and pension payments using 1970-2013 price structure.

-Back down ALL costs, prices, fees, to January 1, 2009 levels and hold them for 10 years.

It doesn't matter how much minimum wage is. Minimum wage workers will always be on the bottom rung.

Are you willing to pay $10 for a Big Mac? Or would you rather McDonald's goes out of business?

Why would you? McDonalds costs aren't going to increase.

Your figures are entirely made up. 1968 is generally accepted as having the highest federal minimum wage in terms of real value since the inception of the law in the US, at $1.60 an hour. Use an inflation calculator and that works out to $10.72 an hour, half of what you suggest.

Here's a pretty good overview of the topic here

U.S. Minimum Wage History

You aren't being realistic with your figures at all.

Sure I am. Food, shelter, and transportation is more accurate than any 'inflation calculator', and leaps more accurate than CPI. 1970-2013 price increase, and contrast to minimum wage will give you $23.50/hr.

The question is "What is the dumbest set of policy arguments anyone has ever made?"

Why?

Hey 1%. I love your idea. I have a plan, I will run my business (I do own one) and pay 100% of my profits to my new employee!!!!!!!!!!! My wife. Thanks for 0% taxes no matter how much I make.

I know you will love it when big corps are making even bigger profits for their CEO's. Grats, you once again made the poor pooer and the rich vastly more wealthy!

So your employee expenses exceed gross taxes and fees?

This is where you start putting caps on how much a wage can be or how much someone can ear before you re-apply the tax you took away. What, 20 mil a year for one person was too much to not tax?

I never wrote capping wage.

It doesn't matter how much minimum wage is. Minimum wage workers will always be on the bottom rung.

In the 60's, a minimum wage worker was able to support a family. I'm correcting for the obvious 'screwing' the middle-class received.

Last edited:

Yikes.

What was the QUESTION?

How do you fix the economy.

If THATS the problem ---- you got the wrong toolbox.. You tinkering around with duct tape and a hammer.... This country is losing relevance in a global economy. Bleeding jobs and skills at a time when 10000 folks a day are retiring and education levels are no longer sufficient for survival for 70% of the population.

You need to hike up the hill a bit and get a wider picture of the problem.. Raising Min Wage would INCREASE our abysmal HS dropout rates.. Couldnt do more damage with dynamite.

\
Not that I don't think Min Wage doesn't need to go up but this would be a shock to the system that would be catastrophe,

How about legit business expenses? Of Course those need to be written off.

Not sure what that means. But I do think we ought o computer COLA's based on the PRE CLINTON system of computing CPI.

If that were done Social Security recipients would be owned a staggering amount of repayments for the GRAND THEFT this system really has become since the 90s

Proce controls are almost always bad idea ..except perhaps in times of WAR or I(REAL) national emergency.

Nixxon tried that, ya know?

It blew up in everybody's faces.

Sure it would be a shock to the system. Almost every American would receive an increase in pay and business would pay zero taxes and fees.

Price controls are also good with huge business subsidies.

Why not eliminate the need for subsidies by eliminating the price controls.

My bad. The object of this thread is to post the stupid and unworkable ideas, not the ones that make sense.

Are you willing to pay $10 for a Big Mac? Or would you rather McDonald's goes out of business?

Why would you? McDonalds costs aren't going to increase.

Of course they won't, because they are using magic money to pay their employees.

Newsflash, a tax deduction does not mean the government pays you money, it means you don't pay them. Costs will still go up, and the government will get less money.

The question is "What is the dumbest set of policy arguments anyone has ever made?"

Why?

Because I have never heard anything dumber? If you have an example of something more stupid feel free to lay it out, until then I am sticking with my assessment.

In the 60's, a minimum wage worker was able to support a family. I'm correcting for the obvious 'screwing' the middle-class received.

In 1969 the minimum wage was $1.60/hr, which works out to just over $3000 a year. I know for a fact that it is possible to survive on less, even today. You just have to live without cable TV and eating steak every night.

Last edited:
I really love the way everyone tosses out numbers for Min wage as tho the numbers mean the same EVERYWHERE in the 50 states. Cost of living is a very LOCAL parameter. Ther are 2:1 or 3:1 differences in rent, utilities, insurance even healthcare --- People who propose Flat solutions to setting wages are true amatuers at economics and oblivious of the diverse choices in location...

Same deal for setting COLAS and safety nets...

So your employee expenses exceed gross taxes and fees?

If you have an employee that works for 10$ an hour, and there is 2$ in taxes... that's 12$ an hour.... Now 10 employee's would be 960$ a day.

Under your costs of 22.50$ an hour (if I remember correctly) is 1,800$ a day.

Now lets just say 10 employee's work 1 shift a day for 30days a month.

54,000$ payroll a month no taxes!
VS
28,800$ payroll a month with taxes!

Now lets do that by 1 year.....

648,000$
VS
345,600$

Now, if you know anything about business, you know that payroll is usually the highest cost you have, more than inventory/rent/energy.... So you took by far the most $ cost and doubled it. Even with no taxes added you bankrupted 85% (yes I made that up but I would prolly be surprisingly correct) of all business's in the US that have a staff outside of owner operated.

My Payroll will be around 190,000k this year, jumping to 400,000k would mean I fire every single employee and downsize.

Ooooor, I could raise rates on customers by about 120% seeing as not only did you double my payroll you also took all the deductions away... So, you were saying prices wouldn't go up? Tell me more about this, I just can't see it because you know, I can do math and all.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back