Hello from Central PA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Steelplate, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    My name is Jim and I'm from Central Pennsylvania.

I am a Commonwealth employee who works with the Developmentally Disabled. I am an Avid Steelers Fan(reason for "Steel" in my Nick) and also am a semi-professional musician. I play in an acoustic blues trio who has a small local following.

Politically, I am pretty liberal. However, I can be a realist and am fairly open minded. After a long stint as a Republican I recently switched to the Democratic Party. Why? Well, when I joined the GOP, I was 18 and did so basically because my parents were bother Republicans. But my leanings were always more Democratic, I was just too young to know the difference. As time went on, I really didn't vote along my party's lines and shortly before the 2008 election I decided to make the change.

Well, anyway... thanks for having me and hope to talk to you all soon!

Jim

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,824
    Jimmy, you sound far too reasonable for this board....are you sure you didn't make a wrong turn somewhere?

Welcome.

3. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    Hello. A realist and fairly open minded liberal Democrat???? You're shitting me, right?

4. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    Welcome.

Don't drink that PA water. We all know it's contaminated by carcinogenics carelessly dumped into rivers by the evil people drilling shale gas and employing thousands in your state.

5. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    Welcome! My wife and I live about 15 miles from Gettysburg.

6. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Hey... as long as we all agree that the pandering to Corporate America by bought off politicians(from both parties) is what is ruining our country and not the working class, unions and "welfare bums"? I'm reasonable as heck.

7. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    Welcome

8. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Thanks for your welcome!

So far our water is OK. I do live in rural PA, and our water does come from ground water. As far as Marcellus Shale and the exponential increases in Natural Gas Mining? I just hope the hell they know what they are doing, because if they don't... they won't be in business long. The lawsuits will kill them... oh, who am I kidding? They'll just buy off whoever they have to to make it go away.

Remember something.. Industry is good.. even great. However... you can't drink money and I am not real confident when it comes to Industrial honesty in these things. However, I am a realist and while I am skeptical as to the eventual outcome of this particular industry's impact on ground water, I am hoping they have their collective crap together and it will end up a win/win.

In other words... I hope I'm wrong about my own misgivings.

9. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Thanks! The Gettysburg area is a beautiful spot. Love it in Southern PA where the hills flatten out a little and become the more gradual, rolling variety. Also rich in history. Been there many times and always stop off at Gettysbrew to fill my growler!

I live in Snyder County, where cows outnumber people and where the standard greeting is "didyagetyerdeeryet?" in the fall. Now, just because I'm a "Lib" and poking fun at my neck of the woods... Gun Control is something that I am fairly Conservative on. Maybe it's because I was raised a country boy, But I think that aside from assault weapons and rocket launchers, people should be allowed to own guns, even handguns(minus the 30 round clips, anyway).

If you go about 50 miles N of Harrisburg, your getting into my stomping Grounds.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Thank you Grace!