Health Insurance Profits Soar

9.3 billion in profit in just a few months.... is an awful lot of money that could be spent on ACTUAL HEALTH CARE INSTEAD of going to a middle man that provides no Medical Care what so ever....

Scuze me. Large insurance companies are publicly traded and have an obligation to their shareholders to earn a decent return on capital. Those shares are widely held by pension funds, btw. So destroying insurance company profits just worsens the pension liabilities that are crushing state budgets.

that's correct, they owe their stock holders and THIS IS PRECISELY why we should not support this method of getting our health care....ONE'S HEALTH IS TOO IMPORTANT.

We could solve this problem of wasted money going to the middle man for our health with no medical treatment at all given, by cutting out the middle man and using OUR OWN $9.3 BILLION that they take as profit, on our own actual, medical treatments.

Whether we take the libertarian approach of us just going to the doctor and paying for what we needed done, without health insurance or two, moving in to a single payer gvt plan or a single payer non profit coop plan.

It's not something that could be done overnight to these health insurance companies, but it could be done slowly....in increments, and these companies can find another insurance to build their business on....most are not just in to health insurance alone either, they invest a great deal in the market and have other ventures and other items to sell....it could be they expand their supplemental insurance businesses to make due.

I disagree. Investors who enable an industry to provide service and products have every right to a proper return. If you don't like it, get your health care from a nonprofit and don't invest in AET.

It's simple. Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing.

Remember, boys and girl, free enterprise is about competing away extraordinary returns. If these are real profit number accounting for the guaranteed future devastation by ObamaCare, other insurance companies, even in other states, would lower their prices for the same policy...oh wait! The government won't allow much competition! Drats!

Remember, boys and girl, free enterprise is about competing away extraordinary returns. If these are real profit number accounting for the guaranteed future devastation by ObamaCare, other insurance companies, even in other states, would lower their prices for the same policy...oh wait! The government won't allow much competition! Drats!

Niiiiice!!

What would you do after the first month, since health insurers would cease to be in business, much less make a profit, after you took away their profits the first time?

They would not stick around to give you more.

Health insurance is a business that is greatly supported by us tax payers....the gvt. It is NOT a normal business that has to get it's own customers on its own merits,

The government gives all business tax breaks to support them buying insurance for us and the gvt pays for all plans for all Military personnel and their families and the government who pays for the insurance of all Millitary retirees and the government who pays for a good deal of the insurance cost for all civil service employees from the clerk working at the unemployment office to the guy working the front dest at an FAA facility, it is the gvt who also pays for the health insurance for all of Congress and for all of their clerks as well, and the gvt who pays for the health insurance for those on medicaid, and the gvt who is now also paying for the health insurance for those on Unemployment.

THIS IS A TOTALLY SUBSIDIZED business and their profits....by PRIMARILY our government.....VIA our taxes.

It does NOT make sense to me, WHY ANYONE, or any conservative, would support such a golden egg, transfer of wealth to an individual private industry.

Health insurance is a business that is greatly supported by us tax payers....the gvt. It is NOT a normal business that has to get it's own customers on its own merits,

The government gives all business tax breaks to support them buying insurance for us and the gvt pays for all plans for all Military personnel and their families and the government who pays for the insurance of all Millitary retirees and the government who pays for a good deal of the insurance cost for all civil service employees from the clerk working at the unemployment office to the guy working the front dest at an FAA facility, it is the gvt who also pays for the health insurance for all of Congress and for all of their clerks as well, and the gvt who pays for the health insurance for those on medicaid, and the gvt who is now also paying for the health insurance for those on Unemployment.

THIS IS A TOTALLY SUBSIDIZED business and their profits....by PRIMARILY our government.....VIA our taxes.

It does NOT make sense to me, WHY ANYONE, or any conservative, would support such a golden egg, transfer of wealth to an individual private industry.

And when you take their profits away, you can make them last one month under your sick ponzi scheme.

And when you take their profits away, you can make them last one month under your sick ponzi scheme.

I don't want to take their profits away, I want to take their gvt subsidized business of pushing paper away....I want to get rid of the middle man, which is all they are, to our health care. It will cost all of us AT LEAST the 9.3 billion less for a few months.

And if the gvt got OUT OF THE HEALTH CARE INSURANCE SUBSIDIZING and MANDATING completely, then maybe we would have medical care, that we all could actually afford.

And as I stated, this would be the libertarian approach...let the free market work, without government interference and subsidies or gift horses like the mandate.

OR

have a single payer plan.

I did not choose one over the other, on these choices.

I don't want to take their profits away, I want to take their gvt subsidized business of pushing paper away....I want to get rid of the middle man, which is all they are, to our health care. It will cost all of us AT LEAST the 9.3 billion less for a few months.

And if the gvt got OUT OF THE HEALTH CARE INSURANCE SUBSIDIZING and MANDATING completely, then maybe we would have medical care, that we all could actually afford.

And as I stated, this would be the libertarian approach...let the free market work, without government interference and subsidies or gift horses like the mandate.

OR

You're absolutely clueless about the impact of for profit health care relative to what Obamacare costs.

Government can buy health insurance from whomever they want. They could put their employees on Medicaid if they wanted.

There is a reason they don't.

OR

You're absolutely clueless about the impact of for profit health care relative to what Obamacare costs.

Government can buy health insurance from whomever they want. They could put their employees on Medicaid if they wanted.

i don't know about your state, but in massachusetts and in maine, Medicaid recipients are given health insurance policies, paid for by the gvt. in massachusetts it was blue cross blue shield of massachusetts, here in maine, i know it is a private insurance company covering them as well.

I AM NOT supporting obamacare and i have not done such, in my posts discussing this with you dear....so WHY you keep trying to make this in to some ''hate obamacare/love obamacare'' debate, is beyond me??

i guess i should have been more clear....i am discussing our health care costs, and WHY the free market has not worked to hold the costs down...and this is because it is NOT nor has been, 'the free market'' driving this industry....it has been one of the most if not the most government subsidized industry out there for several decades.

due to regulations and other things....true competition has not been at work among those in the business, nor any true resistance by the end consumer of the product BECAUSE it is heavily subsidized (through employer tax deductions).....and the individual end users are not the ones paying the full bill, thus little resistance by the individual... to the double digit increases the health industry has imposed year after year for the last decade.

that 35% is deceiving Boe....that is 35% of their profit, after all bills and bonuses and perks and bennies to employees and cost of goods and overhead etc is paid....this is not 35% of their Revenues.... or 35% of their income, as it would be for an individual.

Dumbshit. That's what "profit" means. Business gets taxed on "profit", not revenue.

9.3 billion in profit in just a few months.... is an awful lot of money that could be spent on ACTUAL HEALTH CARE INSTEAD of going to a middle man that provides no Medical Care what so ever....

9.3B for an entire industry? Confiscate it! Give it to the children!
Are you really this stupid? Don't answer that because I already know the answer is yes.

Health insurance is not a "middle man". Health insurance is insurance, a financial product. Do you have any idea what insurance is?
Don't answer that. I already know the answer is No.

OR

i don't know about your state, but in massachusetts and in maine, Medicaid recipients are given health insurance policies, paid for by the gvt. in massachusetts it was blue cross blue shield of massachusetts, here in maine, i know it is a private insurance company covering them as well.

I AM NOT supporting obamacare and i have not done such, in my posts discussing this with you dear....so WHY you keep trying to make this in to some ''hate obamacare/love obamacare'' debate, is beyond me??

i guess i should have been more clear....i am discussing our health care costs, and WHY the free market has not worked to hold the costs down...and this is because it is NOT nor has been, 'the free market'' driving this industry....it has been one of the most if not the most government subsidized industry out there for several decades.

due to regulations and other things....true competition has not been at work among those in the business, nor any true resistance by the end consumer of the product BECAUSE it is heavily subsidized (through employer tax deductions).....and the individual end users are not the ones paying the full bill, thus little resistance by the individual... to the double digit increases the health industry has imposed year after year for the last decade.

Massachusetts is throwing people off the plan left and right. 30,000 legal immigrants just got cut loose. Hardly a success story.

All business expenses are deductible. All companies government buys products from are allowed to make profits.

Grow up.

Scuze me. Large insurance companies are publicly traded and have an obligation to their shareholders to earn a decent return on capital. Those shares are widely held by pension funds, btw. So destroying insurance company profits just worsens the pension liabilities that are crushing state budgets.

that's correct, they owe their stock holders and THIS IS PRECISELY why we should not support this method of getting our health care....ONE'S HEALTH IS TOO IMPORTANT.

We could solve this problem of wasted money going to the middle man for our health with no medical treatment at all given, by cutting out the middle man and using OUR OWN $9.3 BILLION that they take as profit, on our own actual, medical treatments.

Whether we take the libertarian approach of us just going to the doctor and paying for what we needed done, without health insurance or two, moving in to a single payer gvt plan or a single payer non profit coop plan.

It's not something that could be done overnight to these health insurance companies, but it could be done slowly....in increments, and these companies can find another insurance to build their business on....most are not just in to health insurance alone either, they invest a great deal in the market and have other ventures and other items to sell....it could be they expand their supplemental insurance businesses to make due.

That you have no understanding of insurance or any other business is evidenced in every post.
I suggest you drop your health, car, and homeowners insurance immediately and start paying directly. Cut out the middleman!

Do you know what you're talking about/ Don't answer that.
Companies get to deduct their medical payments as expense. On your view electricity is subsidized too because companies can deduct their electric bills from income. So is any rent paid on facilities. I guess real estate is subsidized by the gov't too.
While gov't provides insurance to its employees, plenty of other companies supply insurance to its employees as well. That is an argument for making gov't pay going rates in the private sector for labor.

Forum List

Back