Have you heard of Hard Work University? Tuition free if you WORK what a concept!

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I have a friend who's daughter was just accepted at College of the Ozarks, a.k.a Hard Work U. Pretty awesome tuition assurance if you work and study. Hey kind of sounds like what a lot of us did back in the day!

I have a friend who's daughter was just accepted at College of the Ozarks, a.k.a Hard Work U. Pretty awesome tuition assurance if you work and study. Hey kind of sounds like what a lot of us did back in the day!

They send me a small packet of flower seeds every year and I get a mailer from them a few times a year. I've donated to them before and infrequently buy things from their online store---jams and jellies and such--to give away as Christmas gifts at work. It has never struck me as a place of high academic rigor, but I support their concept.

I worked 35 hours a week at a regular job, and did gigs of all kinds as time and investment allowed, from painting signs to mowing yards to moving people's house stuff to producing records and running sound boards at band gigs. I would have made better grades if I studied full time, but on the other hand I had a great resume and references and got hired in my field in the middle of my Junior year. I still need an English and foreign language credit to graduate, lol. After a couple of years of real experience nobody ever asked me for a degree, and I never bothered going through those idiot 'human resources' bureaucrats either, I went directly to managers and company owners. Then I became a consultant and contractor, pays a whole lot better and you don't get stuck in some slot with crappy raises every year or in a company that goes bankrupt, as a lot of tech companies do, trying to rely on green card slaves.

Last edited:
They send me a small packet of flower seeds every year and I get a mailer from them a few times a year. I've donated to them before and infrequently buy things from their online store---jams and jellies and such--to give away as Christmas gifts at work. It has never struck me as a place of high academic rigor, but I support their concept.

Well, looking at university rankings every year and seeing shitholes like Harvard and Yale still ranking in the top 5 worldwide, I don't see any sign of intelligence and high academic standards among the people who rank these joke schools, so that place is just as good as any for those who want an education as opposed to mere credentialism. The latter has been a miserable failure as a guide to employment and professionalism.

Well, looking at university rankings every year and seeing shitholes like Harvard and Yale still ranking in the top 5 worldwide, I don't see any sign of intelligence and high academic standards among the people who rank these joke schools, so that place is just as good as any for those who want an education as opposed to mere credentialism. The latter has been a miserable failure as a guide to employment and professionalism.
In retrospect, I am so glad our kids were not accepted to the Ivy's we applied to. One got a math degree the other an aerospace degree and are doing fine with no student debt.

In retrospect, I am so glad our kids were not accepted to the Ivy's we applied to. One got a math degree the other an aerospace degree and are doing fine with no student debt.

Some of the Jr. colleges have much better academic training than 4 year schools, who mostly use foreign grad students who are almost unintelligible to teach their freshman and sophomore course.

Some of the Jr. colleges have much better academic training than 4 year schools, who mostly use foreign grad students who are almost unintelligible to teach their freshman and sophomore course.
I can't speak to better academics per se but I certainly enjoyed the 2 years I did at a jr college to get cheaper credits before entering engineering. I met such a fascinating cross section of people, Viet Nam vets, Black people from Wash DC, foreign students, it was a great experience.

Jr colleges are what they are. These days many people attend 2 year colleges and then transfer to four year universities to get the paper.

It's still possible to get a 4 year undergrad degree without debt. Not easy, but possible.

You can totally land a good, high paying job with a 2 year community college degree

Community colleges are good stepping stones to higher education, but that’s not all they are

As a nurse, I can testify that bachelor’s prepared (BSN) RN is no better or worse than an associate’s prepared RN

They both take the exact same NCLEX and hold the exact same license

Employers, especially in big metropolitan hospitals, like to brag about “BSN only” nurse staffing. But that’s just for show. An experienced BSN nurse vs an experienced community college educated nurse…. Zero difference in competence

The extra classes the BSN nurse takes are largely fluff unrelated to actual nursing

The best trained nurses were probably the old diploma-trained nurse who attended nursing programs ran by hospitals that revolves around hands on clinical training

Forum List

Back