Have you ever walked out of store without paying?

tycho1572

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2016
i did that yesterday at a grocery store.

After stopping to pick up a couple of items, I went to the self checkout. One of the items scanned at a higher price than advertised, and the girl working that area adjusted the price. That’s when I promptly bagged the items and walked out. lol

After realizing I didn’t pay, I went back in and saw the girl talking with another employee. She smiled as I walked up and said “hey... I don’t think I paid for this”. Still smiling, she said “you didn’t”.
We rescanned the items and all was now good.

I later thought about how I could have been accused of shoplifting.

Has anyone here ever done something like that?

Last edited:

After stopping to pick up a couple of items, I went to the self checkout. One of the items scanned at a higher price than advertised, and the girl working that area adjusted the price. That’s when I promptly bagged the items and walked out. lol

After realizing I didn’t pay, I went back in and saw the girl talking with another employee. She smiled as I walked up and said “hey... I don’t think I payed for this”. Still smiling, she said “you didn’t”.

I've left a store and then realized I did not pay for something, sure. I don't recall what, specifically, or if I went back in and paid for it; I might not have noticed until I was long gone. I imagine it's not all that uncommon. :dunno:

No but I did pay the people in the middle window of mcdonald's while jabbering with people in the car then drive away without picking up the food hahahahaha.

Yeah...same thing with self checkout. I went back and paid. I don't need to collect any bad karma on the small shit.

After realizing I didn’t pay, I went back in and saw the girl talking with another employee. She smiled as I walked up and said “hey... I don’t think I payed for this”. Still smiling, she said “you didn’t”.

I've left a store and then realized I did not pay for something, sure. I don't recall what, specifically, or if I went back in and paid for it; I might not have noticed until I was long gone. I imagine it's not all that uncommon. :dunno:
I felt like an idiot. lol
That was first time I’ve ever done that.

I was in the grocery store looking at small batteries to go in my fathers hearing aid. I picked out the right one and went on to the next item on my list. Unfortunately, I dropped the battery in my pocket and went on with the rest of my needs. When I got home I meant to put my keys on the key board and what did I find? That battery! I was shocked! Left the ice cream on the counter and ran to the store. I told the cashier what I had done and she laughed... She thanked me for being so honest. As I was leaving I wanted to tell everyone that I brought back the battery I shoplifted letting them know I wasn't a thief. Well, I was, but not intentionally. No one seemed to care.

Now about that ice cream running down my cabinets...

I have walked out with a bag of charcoal on the bottom rack of the shopping cart without paying for it.

The next time I got charcoal at the same store I told the cashier to ring up twice because I had not paid for the last one.
The cashier smiled and said ... "Happy birthday, I see you got my gift and hoped you like it".

I don’t know but the other day they overcharged me. By about 15 bucks. So if that happens I would think about all the times I have been overcharged and didn’t notice and evening the score! A battle of the conscience.

I don’t know but the other day they overcharged me. By about 15 bucks. So if that happens I would think about all the times I have been overcharged and didn’t notice and evening the score! A battle of the conscience.
Two wrongs don’t make a right.

That was something my parents would often tell us kids. lol

Never walked out of a store without paying, but I did have an interesting situation one time.

People go to the Navy Exchange all the time to cash checks, and I did one time and walked away without counting my money (yeah, stupid I know). Well, when I opened my wallet a bit later, I noticed that there was 50 dollars more than the check I'd just cashed in it. Well, because I've worked in jobs where if your drawer is wrong, it comes out of your check, I went back the next day and saw the same teller. I asked her if she was 50 bucks short last night, and she got this shocked look on her face and said yes, she was short when she counted out. I then told her that she had miscounted my money yesterday and gave her back the 50 bucks.

Never saw someone so grateful for me being honest, and I felt pretty damn good about myself.

After realizing I didn’t pay, I went back in and saw the girl talking with another employee. She smiled as I walked up and said “hey... I don’t think I paid for this”. Still smiling, she said “you didn’t”.

I have done it when the shop is not too heavy to lift...

I usually don't have to pay at the grocer. The cashier takes one look at me and declares my items to be complementary. Being awesome has its perks.

An honest mistake...good thing the employee wasn't a democrat or you might be called in by Mueller for questioning...

I have driven off without paying for gas, but called then later and told them.......

I've done the same thing. When I went back to pay, the cashier said she wasn't worried, because she knew me and knew I would be back to pay. I figured she had to be at least a little worried, cause if I hadn't come back, she would have had to pay for it.

Forum List

Back