'Hate Crime' Laws: An Assault on Freedom

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
"Hate crime" laws pose a danger to civil liberties in three ways:

--They pave the way for suppression of the freedoms of speech, association and religion.
--They violate the concept of equal protection under the law.
--They introduce the un-American concept of "thought crime," in which someone's actions are "more" illegal based on their thoughts or beliefs.

A grandmother walking down the street should have at least as much protection under the law as someone who is leaving a "gay" bar. But under "hate crimes" laws that include "sexual orientation," the same assault would be punished with greater penalties if the victim were perceived as homosexual.

Per capita, the most vulnerable class of crime victims is young, black men who are assaulted and murdered by other young, black men. But "hate crimes" laws divide people into racial and other categories. The drive for "hate crime" laws diverts attention from the unfolding tragedy in our nation's cities.

There is no evidence that victims of "hate crimes" are receiving any less protection than victims of other crimes. To suggest otherwise insults the men and women of the nation's law enforcement community.

We deplore any act of violence against innocent victims (including homosexuals), but we strongly oppose as unjust and dangerous the entire concept of "hate crimes" legislation.

Such laws:

--violate the concept of equal protection under the law by designating special classes of victims, who get a higher level of government protection than others victimized by similar crimes.
--politicize criminal law, leading to pressure on police and prosecutors to devote more of their limited resources to some cases, at the expense of other crime victims' cases.
--vastly expand the power and jurisdiction of the federal government to intervene in local law enforcement matters, once a crime is called a "hate crime.
--have a chilling effect on free speech by making unpopular ideas a basis for harsher treatment in criminal proceedings. More than half of the so-called "hate crimes" in the last U.S. Justice Department report were categorized as "intimidation" or "simple assault," which do not necessarily involve anything more than words. In terms of the proposed national hate crimes bill, this makes name-calling literally a federal case.
--confuse law enforcers, because the definition of what constitutes a "hate crime" is clear in some instances but unclear in others. This burdens prosecutors and opens up endless opportunities for defense attorneys to invoke technicalities.
--are not necessary. There is no evidence to substantiate the claim that "hate crime" victims are receiving less justice than other crime victims.

Homosexual activists often exaggerate the incidence of "hate crimes," which make up less than 1 percent of all crimes. Over the past several years, even with more law enforcement agencies reporting, the number of "hate crimes" based on "sexual orientation" has dropped.

In 2003, Americans were victimized by approximately 11 million "non-hate" crimes such as muggings, beatings, murders and property crime, such as burglaries, car theft and vandalism. Nearly 1.4 million of the crimes were classified as "violent crimes."

By contrast, there were 7,489 "hate crime" incidents, of which 1,239 were attributed to "sexual orientation" bias. That's a drop of five from the 2002 total of 1,244, and down 154 from 1,393 in 2001.

Meanwhile, homosexual activist groups and law enforcement agencies tracking "gay-on-gay" domestic violence reported 6,523 cases in 2003, up 13 percent from 5,718 in 2002. People involved in homosexual behavior are astronomically more likely to be assaulted by another homosexual than to become the victim of a "hate crime."

More than 90,000 Non-"Hate Crime" Rapes

What's more, the "hate crime" concept is profoundly subjective. According to FBI statistics, five forcible rapes in 2003 were classified as "hate crimes." Overall, 93,433 forcible rapes were reported in 2003, which means the other 93,428 rapes were not "hate crimes."

Also in 2003, some 16,503 criminal homicides were reported, of which 14 were classified as "hate crimes." Six were said to be based on "sexual orientation," and five were said to be based on racial bias.

From Crime to Speech

Liberal activists increasingly invoke such phrases as "hostile speech" and a "climate of violence" to describe pro-family opinion on homosexual issues. The net effect is to reclassify legitimate opinion and free speech as "hate speech" that can be censored.

Here's Matt Foreman, executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, in a press release blaming conservative Christians for what Foreman claims is a "spike" in "hate crimes" against homosexuals in late 2003 and early 2004:

The leaders of America's anti-gay industry are directly responsible for the continuing surge in hate violence against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people. ... The right went into demonic, anti-gay hyperdrive following the Supreme Court's Lawrence v. Texas decision in July of 2003. Since then, church pews have been awash in ugly, anti-gay rhetoric and fear-mongering. ... The literal blood of thousands of gay people physically wounded by hatred during 2004 is on the hands of Jerry Falwell, James Dobson, Tony Perkins and so many others who spew hate for partisan gain and personal enrichment.[Emphasis added.]

According to a study of the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs, which Mr. Foreman cites to document his charges, 744 incidents of physical violence against homosexuals were recorded in 2004. While any attack is deplorable, the facts don't match Mr. Foreman's rhetoric. The three categories that comprise physical attack - murder, assault and attempted assault, and rape/sexual assault, actually dropped in 2004 by 7 percent. Physical assault and simple assault combined dropped by 8 percent in 2004.

Meanwhile, "hate crime" laws are being used to silence people who publicly oppose homosexuality.

For example:

--In Philadelphia, 11 Christians were arrested and jailed overnight in 2004 for singing and preaching in a public park at a homosexual street festival. Five of them were bound over and charged with five felonies and three misdemeanors, totaling a possible 47 years in jail. These charges, based on Pennsylvania's "hate crimes" law, hung over them for months until a judge finally dismissed them.
--In Canada, a newspaper publisher and a man who placed a newspaper ad faced jail and were fined $4,500 each, merely for running an ad containing references to several Bible verses regarding homosexuality.
--A pastor in New York saw his billboard with a Bible verse on it taken down under pressure from city officials, who cited "hate crime" rhetoric.
--The San Francisco Board of Supervisors officially approved a resolution urging local media to decline to run advertisements by pro-family groups that offered hope for change to homosexuals. A liberal court then winked at this egregious violation of the First Amendment.

As the definition of "hate crimes" expands, practitioners of traditional religion and those who support policies favoring the traditional family increasingly will face legal sanctions.

In Holland, it is now "illegal for any employer and for any provider of goods or services, to distinguish between married and unmarried couples."

Will recognition of marriage someday be a "hate crime" in America? Yes, if "hate crime" laws continue to be enacted by well-meaning but misinformed legislators.

The proper response to "hate crimes" is to enforce the law impartially and firmly. Every citizen deserves equal protection under the law.

By Robert H. Knight
http://www.cwfa.org/printerfriendly.asp?id=2575&department=cfi&categoryid=papers

"Hate crime" laws pose a danger to civil liberties in three ways:

--They pave the way for suppression of the freedoms of speech, association and religion.
--They introduce the un-American concept of "thought crime," in which someone's actions are "more" illegal based on their thoughts or beliefs.

No they don't.

That's your claim. But you need to show some evidence for it. If you were so concerned about the suppression of freedoms you might want to check your country's Patriot Act rather than point the finger at very mild legislation.

No they don't. Hate crime legislation doesn't reduce anyone's right to equal protection.

--They introduce the un-American concept of "thought crime," in which someone's actions are "more" illegal based on their thoughts or beliefs

Rubbish. Any crime still requires mens rea and actus reus to be a crime. People are still free to hate people based on their feelings towards their sexuality or ethnicity or sex, they just can't beat them up, that's all.

Next?

No they don't.

That's your claim. But you need to show some evidence for it. If you were so concerned about the suppression of freedoms you might want to check your country's Patriot Act rather than point the finger at very mild legislation.

No they don't. Hate crime legislation doesn't reduce anyone's right to equal protection.

--They introduce the un-American concept of "thought crime," in which someone's actions are "more" illegal based on their thoughts or beliefs

Rubbish. Any crime still requires mens rea and actus reus to be a crime. People are still free to hate people based on their feelings towards their sexuality or ethnicity or sex, they just can't beat them up, that's all.

Next?

Hate crimes tend to focus more on the characteristics of the victim and perpetrator. It's the crime that should be prosecuted, not the state trying to mind read. There is enough flexibility in sentencing to cover obvious circumstances of such crimes for example as: lynchings, burning of churches, mosques, synagogs, and crimes such as Matthew Shepard. The only 'hate crimes' that seem to be prosecuted are those where the perp is a member of the 'majority class', as if those of minority status are incapable of hate, that's just wrong.

Hate crimes tend to focus more on the characteristics of the victim and perpetrator. It's the crime that should be prosecuted, not the state trying to mind read. There is enough flexibility in sentencing to cover obvious circumstances of such crimes for example as: lynchings, burning of churches, mosques, synagogs, and crimes such as Matthew Shepard. The only 'hate crimes' that seem to be prosecuted are those where the perp is a member of the 'majority class', as if those of minority status are incapable of hate, that's just wrong.

So all of you who are against 'thought crimes' think someone should be punished the same if they get into a car crash that is their fault and kill someone, as someone who walks up to a random person and shoots them in the face and kills them?

After all, the only difference between the two is in the mind of the killer.

So all of you who are against 'thought crimes' think someone should be punished the same if they get into a car crash that is their fault and kill someone, as someone who walks up to a random person and shoots them in the face and kills them?

Good Morning Larkinn,

A person that killed a person in a car accident is charged with Involuntary or voluntary manslaughter in the 1st or 2nd degree.

A person that shoots someone in the face is charged with Murder....premeditated 1st degree, 2nd degree.

Our Laws on the books already distinguish the gravity of each crime and gives a Sentencing range, that is up to the judge hearing the case who has heard all the facts from both sides during the trial, to apply during sentencing.

There is no need to add an additional crime, on top of the crimes they have already committed, in order to give these criminals more time than the next criminal that committed the exact same act, the Judge has this responsibility.

As I have mention once before in one of these threads...

If someone brutally murdered my sister...
And someone murdered the Gay guy next door, or the Muslim guy next door or the Priest next door....

WHY shouldn't my sister's murderer get the same harsh punishment/sentence as the person killing the guy next door?

Did the murderer who brutally killed my sister HATE her LESS than the Murderer who killed the guy next door?

Hate bCrime Legislation is inheriently unfair, to the victims of violent crimes that are not covered by this extra hate crime penalty....they have less protection than the guy or gal covered....yes, less protection because the penalty for hurting them is much less than the penalty for hurting a Priest.

It flies in the face of equal protection and rights under the Law.

Good Morning Larkinn,

A person that killed a person in a car accident is charged with Involuntary or voluntary manslaughter in the 1st or 2nd degree.

A person that shoots someone in the face is charged with Murder....premeditated 1st degree, 2nd degree.

Our Laws on the books already distinguish the gravity of each crime and gives a Sentencing range, that is up to the judge hearing the case who has heard all the facts from both sides during the trial, to apply during sentencing.

There is no need to add an additional crime, on top of the crimes they have already committed, in order to give these criminals more time than the next criminal that committed the exact same act, the Judge has this responsibility.

And someone murdered the Gay guy next door, or the Muslim guy next door or the Priest next door....

WHY shouldn't my sister's murderer get the same harsh punishment/sentence as the person killing the guy next door?

Did the murderer who brutally killed my sister HATE her LESS than the Murderer who killed the guy next door?

Hate bCrime Legislation is inheriently unfair, to the victims of violent crimes that are not covered by this extra hate crime penalty....they have less protection than the guy or gal covered....yes, less protection because the penalty for hurting them is much less than the penalty for hurting a Priest.

My only point was that those bitching about it being a "thought crime" don't know much about the law, as we already punish people for their thoughts.

Good Morning Larkinn,

We are in total agreement. "Hate" manifests itself either through premeditated actions, or through temporary insanity. There is no need to create a new definition of crime to pander to special interests when the existing criminal codes provide sufficient means to prosecute accused offenders.

If the guy in the car is DUI, the charges would be upgraded. If the guy that shoots their victim in the face, had been threatened or physically harmed by the one shot, the court has it within its power to mitigate punishment or if justified, dismiss the charges all together.

Gee, and here I would imagine that the specific actions you detail would be the primary difference. A car crash is not the same action as shooting a person in the face. As to the mitigating circumstances, were the actions accidental, premeditated or impulsed? Such circumstances are already encompassed in our criminal codes, so adding a special class of crimes called "hate crimes" is superfluous, and only serves the political pandering of our wonderful politicians.

My only point was that those bitching about it being a "thought crime" don't know much about the law, as we already punish people for their thoughts.
I agree that most complaining about Hate Crime Legislation and most supporting it too, do not know exactly what this Federal Hate Crime Legislation really is....

Hell, I did not know what it really was and what it really meant and I am still a little confused on parts of it and I have read the Bill! :(

Many people act as though anyone that just intimidates through words one of these protected groups, they could be charged with a "hate Crime" but from all that I have read so far on it, ONLY if a person has committed a VIOLENT CRIME that is already on the books as a crime, can the person be given an additional charge, with additional penalties, (hate crime penalties) if the person the harm was done to, was part of one of these covered groups.

To:

Anyone on this board, am I wrong on this...?

Care

I agree that most complaining about Hate Crime Legislation and most supporting it too, do not know exactly what this Federal Hate Crime Legislation really is....

Hell, I did not know what it really was and what it really meant and I am still a little confused on parts of it and I have read the Bill! :(

Many people act as though anyone that just intimidates through words one of these protected groups, they could be charged with a "hate Crime" but from all that I have read so far on it, ONLY if a person has committed a VIOLENT CRIME that is already on the books as a crime, can the person be given an additional charge, with additional penalties, (hate crime penalties) if the person the harm was done to, was part of one of these covered groups.

To:

Anyone on this board, am I wrong on this...?

Care

I think this may help, there are more resources on the left side of site:

http://www.adl.org/99hatecrime/intro.asp

I. Introduction

All Americans have a stake in an effective response to violent bigotry. Hate crimes demand a priority response because of their special emotional and psychological impact on the victim and the victim's community. The damage done by hate crimes cannot be measured solely in terms of physical injury or dollars and cents. Hate crimes may effectively intimidate other members of the victim's community, leaving them feeling isolated, vulnerable and unprotected by the law. By making members of minority communities fearful, angry and suspicious of other groups -- and of the power structure that is supposed to protect them -- these incidents can damage the fabric of our society and fragment communities.

ADL has long been in the forefront of national and state efforts to deter and counteract hate-motivated criminal activity. Hate crime statutes are necessary because the failure to recognize and effectively address this unique type of crime could cause an isolated incident to explode into widespread community tension.

In June 1993, the United States Supreme Court upheld a Wisconsin hate crime statute that was based on model legislation originally drafted by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) in 1981.1
1 Wisconsin v. Mitchell,
508 U.S. 476 (1993).

The following year, ADL published a detailed report on hate crimes laws, Hate Crimes Laws: A Comprehensive Guide, which functions as a reference on hate crimes legislation nationwide. This update is meant to complement the 1994 report and encompasses changes that have occurred since that time, including the League's recent addition of gender to its model hate crimes legislation, and the passage of additional Federal legislation, as well as a description of a number of Federal training and education initiatives to confront hate violence.

No they don't.

Next?

I agree with you, Hate crime legislation is not un-american. Unless the american way is to hate and be happy. It actually promotes more equal rights. I dont know what that guy thinks he was talking about.

I agree with you, Hate crime legislation is not un-american. Unless the american way is to hate and be happy. It actually promotes more equal rights. I dont know what that guy thinks he was talking about.

How is it 'equal' that there are numerous examples of black on white crimes, where there has been plenty of testimony that the perps used racial epithets, though never any 'hate crime' penalties attach? How about the example earlier of 'hate crime' for abusing the Koran, none for 'piss Christ'?

Do I think that perps often hate their victims or rather their sex, race, religion? Yes. Does the fact that the 'hater' is of a majority make their crime more wrong than if the 'hater' is of a minority? No. Yet, the added punishment is not added onto the minority person's crimes-I haven't heard of any, but do know if there are some, not to the same rate.

Have laws always been prosecuted fairly? Hell no. Hate crime legislation makes about as much sense as the idea that reparations or reverse discrimination can make up for past ills.

Now if someone could figure out how to give the poor, especially minorities, the same type of legal representation that the Duke boys got, that would be something worth looking at.

No they don't.

Next?

You are so naive. Just about anything the ACLU is involved in is anti-American, anti-God, and destructive of your real American freedoms. There is a big gap between what the oily ACLU says and the actual results of such pernicious legislation. You want evidence of where this is going? Evidences of suppression, how equal protections disappear, and how thought crimes develop? Read this and consider this your wake up call:

"The serious problem of crime directed at members of society because of their race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability merits legislative action," the ACLU said.

And the ACLU noted a clause protecting "free speech" in the proposal makes it clear it would be applied only to actual crimes, not thoughts.

However, WND columnist Janet Folger wrote the idea of arresting people for stating their religious beliefs that homosexuality is wrong is no longer something that "may" happen in the future.

"Here's the Cliff Notes of what so called 'hate crime' legislation has already done IN AMERICA," she wrote. "This is no longer up for debate. Here are the facts."

--Madison, Wisconsin. David Ott, a former homosexual, was arrested for a "hate crime" for sharing his testimony with a homosexual at a gas station. He faced a $10,000 fine and one year behind bars. Seven thousand dollars in legal fees later, [he] was ordered to attend re-education classes at the University of Wisconsin conducted by a lesbian.

--St. Petersburg, Florida. Five Christians including two pastors were arrested at a homosexual rally for stepping onto the public sidewalk instead staying caged in their officially designated "free speech zone."

--Elmira, New York. The Elmira police arrested seven Christians for praying in a public park where a homosexual festival was getting started.

--Crystal Lake, Illinois. Two 16 year old girls are facing felony "hate crime" charges for the content of their flyers.

--Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Arlene Elshinnawy, a 75-year-old grandmother of three, and Linda Beckman, a 70-year-old grandmother of 10 (along with nine others), were arrested for sharing their faith on the public sidewalk.
Folger said the testimony from the grandmothers can be seen and heard at the Stop Hate Crimes Now website.

"Just how many cases do we need to cite before America stands up and stops the bill that will criminalize Christianity?" she asked.

"It will criminalize not just those willing to speak the truth and spread the Gospel in the public square, but those pastors, authors, radio hosts and anyone who 'counsels, commands, induces or procures [the commission of a 'hate crime']'," she said.

Rev. Rick Scarborough, president of Vision America, said the plan will "punish Christians for preaching certain biblical principles and lead to pastors being jailed in violation of their First Amendment rights as we have already witnessed in Europe."

A pastor in Europe already has served a prison term for preaching that the Bible condemns homosexuality.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=56702

How is it 'equal' that there are numerous examples of black on white crimes, where there has been plenty of testimony that the perps used racial epithets, though never any 'hate crime' penalties attach? How about the example earlier of 'hate crime' for abusing the Koran, none for 'piss Christ'?

Do I think that perps often hate their victims or rather their sex, race, religion? Yes. Does the fact that the 'hater' is of a majority make their crime more wrong than if the 'hater' is of a minority? No. Yet, the added punishment is not added onto the minority person's crimes-I haven't heard of any, but do know if there are some, not to the same rate.

Have laws always been prosecuted fairly? Hell no. Hate crime legislation makes about as much sense as the idea that reparations or reverse discrimination can make up for past ills.

Now if someone could figure out how to give the poor, especially minorities, the same type of legal representation that the Duke boys got, that would be something worth looking at.

A hate crime is a hate crime no matter what race you are. There are different forms of hate crimes toward specific groups of people but it is not defined as white on black crime, or straight on gay crime.

It was definitely created due to the overwhelming statistics on white supremacy crime or racist if you will, and homophobic related violence. If you want to bring up opposing situations, you need evidence that the judiciary system overlooked a specific hate crime that was not attached to the charges. I dont see any motive for a jury to give special treatment to a minority felon subject to hate related charges. You claim to have that evidence, where is it?

A hate crime is a hate crime no matter what race you are. There are different forms of hate crimes toward specific groups of people but it is not defined as white on black crime, or straight on gay crime.

It was definitely created due to the overwhelming statistics on white supremacy crime or racist if you will, and homophobic related violence. If you want to bring up opposing situations, you need evidence that the judiciary system overlooked a specific hate crime that was not attached to the charges. I dont see any motive for a jury to give special treatment to a minority felon subject to hate related charges. You claim to have that evidence, where is it?
As I intimated, but you seem to choose to ignore, the extra penalties are only being administered on crimes against minorities, whether or not 'hate' figured into crimes against majority groups. If you have some specifics where I'm wrong and the laws were applied, I'd certainly be interested.

Bottom line, as I stated prior, this is about as 'righteous' as affirmative action or how 'equal representation' is administered.

I feel about hate crimes laws the same as I feel about the death penalty.

I'm against it, but I don't really lose any sleep over the people that get executed.

Similarly, I'm against hate crimes laws, but I'm not losing any sleep over bigots that get extra time for their violent acts.

Personally, I think all violent criminals should be spending a longer time in prison. Unfortunately, we have to make room for people whose only crime was selling drugs to consenting adult customers.

"How is it 'equal' that there are numerous examples of black on white crimes, where there has been plenty of testimony that the perps used racial epithets, though never any 'hate crime' penalties attach?

"Never"? Wrong:

20% of all hate crime arrests in the U.S., involved arrests for anti-white racial bias

i.e., there were 963 people arrested in the United States in 2005, for anti-white hate crimes:

FBI Hate Crime statistics:

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2005/incidentsoffenses.htm

"How is it 'equal' that there are numerous examples of black on white crimes, where there has been plenty of testimony that the perps used racial epithets, though never any 'hate crime' penalties attach?

"Never"? Wrong:

20% of all hate crime arrests in the U.S., involved arrests for anti-white racial bias

i.e., there were 963 people arrested in the United States in 2005, for anti-white hate crimes:

You can't really expect facts to convince anyone around here.

"Never"? Wrong:

What I'm failing to see here, from the charts are not arrests, but convictions. Where no 'deals' led to the hate crime punishments being dropped.

BTW, I should not have used 'never', didn't mean to.

Forum List

Back