Harsh Sanctions Against Penn State Warranted

Heavy sanctions are warranted in this scandal when you realize that the despicable behavior of Sandusky could have been stopped, but wasn’t in favor of protecting the sanctity of the football program. What a cost.

Now Penn State will find out what the cost really will be to them. They face loss of scholarships. Bowl games for years and heavy fines in just minutes at the press conference. Paterno, no, it was more than just football, it was about the lives of little boys.

So the plan is to punish new students.

Well thought out. :eusa_whistle:

I am not sure what should happen, however penalizing students for something they had no invovlement in is not something I can support.

Heavy sanctions are warranted in this scandal when you realize that the despicable behavior of Sandusky could have been stopped, but wasn’t in favor of protecting the sanctity of the football program. What a cost.

Now Penn State will find out what the cost really will be to them. They face loss of scholarships. Bowl games for years and heavy fines in just minutes at the press conference. Paterno, no, it was more than just football, it was about the lives of little boys.

I am not sure what should happen, however penalizing students for something they had no invovlement in is not something I can support.

The students are not punished. No classes were shut down

I'm still struggling to understand why it's only the football players that will be allowed to transfer without losing eligibility. :eusa_eh:

What about an incoming freshman with a scholarship to play women's soccer? Why should she not be allowed to make that same decision without eligibility concerns?

I'm still struggling to understand why it's only the football players that will be allowed to transfer without losing eligibility. :eusa_eh:

What about an incoming freshman with a scholarship to play women's soccer? Why should she not be allowed to make that same decision without eligibility concerns?

I thought the sanctions were only against the football program

But the good recruits that had their hearts on playing for Penn State and showing their skill in Bowl Games hoping for careers in football were hurt. That's why I think a full ride should go with their transfers. They can hope to be a walk on somewhere else. Other schools are out of scholarships for this year.

The altheletes are banned from bowl games and victories removed.

Proving you wrong is turning into a full time job.

Try and get something right at least once........

I'm so glad they took Joe's statue down and stripped all his wins since 1998. I'd like to see how many people would be willing to hide on-going child abuse now

I thought the sanctions were only against the football program

So?

That doesn't mean other Penn State athletes shouldn't be allowed to get as far the fuck away from the stink that is their brand if they so desire.

But the good recruits that had their hearts on playing for Penn State and showing their skill in Bowl Games hoping for careers in football were hurt. That's why I think a full ride should go with their transfers. They can hope to be a walk on somewhere else. Other schools are out of scholarships for this year.

The point is that the university needs to learn that it's just a game

The point is that the university needs to learn that it's just a game

Sixty million a year is no game. But they seemed to forget that along with football and it's reputation for sports is the reputation for the university as an institution of respect for individuals and cultivating individuals into the best the can become. Not only the students, but the children that came through their gates at the hands of Sandusky.

They forfeited their integrity back in 1998 when all of this came to light and they felt their football and reputation came before integrity and the cultivation of all of those individuals, no matter how old.

if this didnt deserve the death penalty....what does?

I believe what they got was worse that a one year death penalty. They are banned from Bowl Games for four years and athletes can transfer right away. They've lost scholarships, and the legacy of Paterno will forever be gone.

Recruiting good players will be devestated for more than four years by the time the team is built up again. This was a devestating blow to Penn State Football. In one year, just try to find a football jersey on line from Penn State.

The death penalty would have affected businesses in the community that depended on out of town fans for revenue. That would have penalized the community when it wasn't warranted.

I believe what they got was worse that a one year death penalty. They are banned from Bowl Games for four years and athletes can transfer right away. They've lost scholarships, and the legacy of Paterno will forever be gone.

Recruiting good players will be devestated for more than four years by the time the team is built up again. This was a devestating blow to Penn State Football. In one year, just try to find a football jersey on line from Penn State.

The death penalty would have affected businesses in the community that depended on out of town fans for revenue. That would have penalized the community when it wasn't warranted.
My bad. I understood that to mean the death penalty for the perp. For which I would levy no objection.

The university didnt rape those children or cover it up. People entrusted to run the affairs of the university did. That is where any sanctions or penalties belong.

My bad. I understood that to mean the death penalty for the perp. For which I would levy no objection.

The university didnt rape those children or cover it up. People entrusted to run the affairs of the university did. That is where any sanctions or penalties belong.

Oh, sorry for my answer, then... lol.

Why bother with a death sentence, the NCAA accomplished that with one stroke of the pen, and bailed out the administration. Punish the students, student athletes, for the actions of one man and reputation and accomplishments of another that informed his superiors is pathetic. The argument could and should be made that Paterno needed to step out of the Penn State Box and reported it to the police once it was clear that the university would do nothing, however, that is counter to the chain of command, philosophy, the very culture he was raised to respect. To think the university would sacrifice the reputation and accomplishments of a man for their own protection speaks volumes as to the integrity of the institution and administrators. In closing, punish the university, not the athletic program, that will only serve to further insulate and detract from real issue, corrupt and morally deficient administration

Why bother with a death sentence, the NCAA accomplished that with one stroke of the pen, and bailed out the administration. Punish the students, student athletes, for the actions of one man and reputation and accomplishments of another that informed his superiors is pathetic. The argument could and should be made that Paterno needed to step out of the Penn State Box and reported it to the police once it was clear that the university would do nothing, however, that is counter to the chain of command, philosophy, the very culture he was raised to respect. To think the university would sacrifice the reputation and accomplishments of a man for their own protection speaks volumes as to the integrity of the institution and administrators. In closing, punish the university, not the athletic program, that will only serve to further insulate and detract from real issue, corrupt and morally deficient administration

I can see where you are coming from. But I guess, in essence, they are going to take it out on the football program because they felt that is what was being protected by this extreme coverup. The NCAA is making a point to coaches everywhere, that integrity matters. Just look at Tressle from Ohio State.

There is no punishment that doesn't come with collateral damage in a case like this one.

Just for the record, SMU's campus is said to be a masterpiece by a recent prospective student who visited there on her tours of campuses in the South. Its amazing how many more resources you have when you don't squander your treasure on meaningless games.

Forum List

Back