Happy Thanksgiving

Don't respond, it is a trick.

Last time I responded to a Brit welcome I was transported to Australia to work a life time at drunken labor.

Last edited:
A Brit view of Thanksgiving...

Happy Holiday to all my American readers and hope the rest of you have some reason to give thanks today.

Until I got to the States I hadn't realised just what a big deal this was: bigger than Christmas, without the presents, the carols, baubles, the tree and the nativity, the focus is unashamedly on food and family.

BBC - Mark Mardell's America

happy thanksgiving to you....i think you are right...we do slow down...we eat like pigs....and have to stop....i expect everyone to be pretty much comatose by 3 pm...if not i will be insulted....

the final menu: turkey breast with cranberry sauce, roasted garlic mashed taters...glazed carrots...green beans, yeast rolls, cheesecake, pumpkin pie and magic bars...

i dont have any apps but since we are eating so early...i didnt think it was needed

Strange perhaps for a Brit to start this thread, but...

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Just ran across this, thought you'd enjoy!

Thanksgiving: a displaced Brit writes…

by Paul Carr on November 26, 2009
When I first heard about this “Thanksgiving” thing, I thought it sounded like a great idea.

We Brits spend a ridiculous amount of time each day giving thanks to strangers – we say thanks to people who hold doors for us, thanks to people who stop their cars to let us cross the road, thanks to waitresses when they give us our bill; even thanks again when we hand over the money to pay. But apparently you Americans – innovative people that you are – had found a way to streamline the process.

Rather than waste hours each day expressing gratitude, you had decided to compress all of your thank-yous into one annual 24-hour-period of uninterrupted Thanks Giving. Get all that politeness out of the way in one go. An inspired solution, I thought, and one we should copy back home. Hell, we should have a ’sorry’ day too – we’d reclaim weeks of time.

But apparently I’d got the wrong end of the stick. Having consulted Wikipedia, it turns out that today is not about mundane expression of gratitude, but rather about big-ticket Thank-yous. For friends, family, a baby’s laugh, spreadable cheese. Stuff that really makes it a joy to be alive, and living in the home of the brave.

I thought it might be appropriate to share five things – technological and otherwise – that make me… well.. thankful that a few months ago I too decided to make America my new home.

1. Free refills...

Strange perhaps for a Brit to start this thread, but...

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Just ran across this, thought you'd enjoy!

by Paul Carr on November 26, 2009
When I first heard about this “Thanksgiving” thing, I thought it sounded like a great idea.

We Brits spend a ridiculous amount of time each day giving thanks to strangers – we say thanks to people who hold doors for us, thanks to people who stop their cars to let us cross the road, thanks to waitresses when they give us our bill; even thanks again when we hand over the money to pay. But apparently you Americans – innovative people that you are – had found a way to streamline the process.

Rather than waste hours each day expressing gratitude, you had decided to compress all of your thank-yous into one annual 24-hour-period of uninterrupted Thanks Giving. Get all that politeness out of the way in one go. An inspired solution, I thought, and one we should copy back home. Hell, we should have a ’sorry’ day too – we’d reclaim weeks of time.

But apparently I’d got the wrong end of the stick. Having consulted Wikipedia, it turns out that today is not about mundane expression of gratitude, but rather about big-ticket Thank-yous. For friends, family, a baby’s laugh, spreadable cheese. Stuff that really makes it a joy to be alive, and living in the home of the brave.

I thought it might be appropriate to share five things – technological and otherwise – that make me… well.. thankful that a few months ago I too decided to make America my new home.

1. Free refills...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's a very funny article. And in many ways so true! Thanks.

Forum List

Back