happy birthday Marines

harmonica

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2017
10 November 1775 Tun Tavern ...
1636544514842.png

Got to hang out today with the last WW2 vet I know. Served in WW2, was in Israel for the 48 war of independence, Korea and Vietnam. And still fits in the uniform he retired in.

Don’t make them like that anymore.

View attachment 562617
Established Nov. 10, 1775 at Tun Tavern, 8th and I St., Philadelphia, PA. Two Hundred Forty-Six years old today. Semper Fidelis!

Got to hang out today with the last WW2 vet I know. Served in WW2, was in Israel for the 48 war of independence, Korea and Vietnam. And still fits in the uniform he retired in.

Don’t make them like that anymore.

View attachment 562617
Memories Bring Paralysis

My experience with the Marines (033l H/2/5) reminds me of the song "Angel Flight." Thirty-eight of the 150 Marines I was with got killed in my half-tour in combat. In 1972, on a drive from Chicago to Miami, I had an urge to visit the grave of one of them in Canton, Ohio, but I just couldn't go through with it.

GySgt. John Basilone USMC awarded the MOH for action as a machinegun squad leader on Guadalcanal. He couldn't take the phoniness of the Hollywood Bond Drive so he went back to the fighting and was KIA on Iwo Jima. Semper Fi.

GySgt. John Basilone USMC awarded the MOH for action as a machinegun squad leader on Guadalcanal. He couldn't take the phoniness of the Hollywood Bond Drive so he went back to the fighting and was KIA on Iwo Jima. Semper Fi.
..I think Ira Hayes had trouble with the war bond ''stardom'''

..I think Ira Hayes had trouble with the war bond ''stardom'''
They literally plucked these guys from arguably the most intense combat of the war and paraded them on freaking floats with hollywood stars and gave them all the booze they could drink to numb the PTSD pain. No wonder Hayes folded up. Ironically they mis-identified three of the Flag raisers.

Forum List

Back