Hail to the Senate

menewa

Jun 2, 2004
Denton, Texas
Much praises due to the Senators voting against the proposed consitutional abomination today.

Hillary's speech yesterday was a marvel to behold. She laid out point by point the absurdity of such an amendment. Seems to have moved enough people. Most of the Democrats and the decent Republicans voted against the measure. Hallelujah.

I agree. I didn't hear Sen. Clinton's speech, unfortunately. What was interesting was the number of right-wing conservative Senators who voted against it because of their firm belief in state's rights. The whole thing, however, was nothing political opportunism. The Republicans are scared and desparate and are trying to energize their right-wing homophobic base.

acludem

acludem said:
I agree. I didn't hear Sen. Clinton's speech, unfortunately. What was interesting was the number of right-wing conservative Senators who voted against it because of their firm belief in state's rights. The whole thing, however, was nothing political opportunism. The Republicans are scared and desparate and are trying to energize their right-wing homophobic base.

acludem

Sates rights? It take 38 states to ratify. You think their rights were represented today?

I think not! I am not in favor of an amendment, but this was not about states rights.

They may have lost a battle, but the war has just begun. Many were shocked to see how far they got with this attempt. Expect to see this fight go on. My prediction, sooner or later it'll pass.

we are merely trying to enforce constitutionally what has been the norm and traditional marriage for oh TEN THOUSAND YEARS!!!!
The only people who should be scared are the Dems from moderate states that voted against continuing debate... This issue isn't over by a long shot...The amendment wil be reintroduced in the next Congress. You can bet your liberal behind on it.... In my state we have already passed a bill stating that marriage is between a man and a woman only.. The bill passed the Democratically controlled house and senate overwhelmingly..And was signed into law by the Democrat Governor.
This is one issue the liberal and the courts will not force down the throats (pun intended) of the citizens of this country....

Pale Rider said:
They may have lost a battle, but the war has just begun. Many were shocked to see how far they got with this attempt. Expect to see this fight go on. My prediction, sooner or later it'll pass.

Agreed.

-But like HGROKIT says, I don't want an Amendment either.

Pale Rider said:

Don't worry, our good fight will continue, they're taking it to the House floor.

I think the ammendment is unnecessary. While I think it is important to protect the sanctity of marriage and prevent homosexuality from becoming a legitamized social norm, the process that has created the laws allowing gay marriage is not an isolated problem, and is, in fact, a problem with those who supposedly enforce the Constitution. Ever since Roe vs. Wade, judges have been overstepping their bounds and legislating from the bench, and nobody has been doing anything to stop them. This country is slowly having its power turned over to the courts, rather than being the balanced, three-branch system outlined in the constitution.

The bill in the house is just as egregious as the right-wing attempt to Constitutionalize homophobia. It's a blatant attempt by the Republican Congress to usurp judicial authority in clear violation of the Constitutional separation of powers. I can guarantee you that this bill if passed and signed will be declared unconstitutional in about two seconds.

acludem

Forum List

Back