Gunman critically wounds 7 in Tennessee church

Manuel

Jan 7, 2008
Sydney
Here we go again...

An armed man opened fire on worshippers in a Unitarian church in Knoxville, Tennessee, during a children's play Sunday morning, critically wounding seven people, police and church members said.

Detectives were questioning a suspect Sunday afternoon after the "horrendous" attack, which was reported at 10:18 a.m., Deputy Police Chief Bill Roehl said.
Gunman critically wounds 7 in Tennessee church - CNN.com

A church member said three congregants tackled and held the shooter until police arrived and took him into custody, according to Knoxville television station WBIR.

He's lucky we Unitarians are such a peace-loving bunch, or he may have been more than just "tackled and held."

Or maybe not so lucky. I wonder what it's like in prison for people who open fire on children's plays in churches...

Shit. Well, I just hope the victims pull through. I'm glad none of the kids got hit.

Jesus Christ, why would anyone want to kill poor, humble Unitarians? Hell, if have to a christian, at least have the sense to be a Unitarian. Sad as hell :(

Gunman opens fire in Tennessee church, 2 killed - Yahoo! News

Unitarian Universalism isn't part of Christianity, though it did originate there and it is logically possible to be both Unitarian and Christian. It's a creedless/dogmaless religon that is very liberal. In many ways it is fairly Christian-esque - Sunday morning service, hymns, ministers - but we don't exclusively worship Christ or insist that He's God's one son and the Way to salvation, so we can't by any stretch be called Christians.

My own UU church was vandalized once when we hosted the New Orleans Gay Men's Chorus.

But yeah, anyway (from the Yahoo.news story):

The man slain was identified as Greg McKendry, 60, a longtime church member and usher. Church member Barbara Kemper told The Associated Press that McKendry "stood in the front of the gunman and took the blast to protect the rest of us."

:udaman:

Unitarian Universalism isn't part of Christianity, though it did originate there and it is logically possible to be both Unitarian and Christian. It's a creedless/dogmaless religon that is very liberal. In many ways it is fairly Christian-esque - Sunday morning service, hymns, ministers - but we don't exclusively worship Christ or insist that He's God's one son and the Way to salvation, so we can't by any stretch be called Christians.

My own UU church was vandalized once when we hosted the New Orleans Gay Men's Chorus.

But yeah, anyway (from the Yahoo.news story):

:udaman:

That is interesting, I didn't know that about the Unitarians. I will now find more information about their church, wondering if it's the right fit for my daughter and myself-thanks!

And God Bless Greg McKendry, who sacrificed himself to save others!

apparently it was an attack based on idealogy. I hope the guy sits in jail for a long time.

Police: Man shot churchgoers over liberal views

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - Knoxville's police chief says the man accused of a shooting that killed two people at a Tennessee church targeted the congregation because of its liberal social stance.

Chief Sterling Owen IV said Monday that police found a letter in Jim D. Adkisson's car. Owen said Adkisson was apparently frustrated over being out of work and had a "stated hatred of the liberal movement."

Police: Man shot churchgoers over liberal views - Yahoo! News

In other words, the liberals brought it upon themselves!

Isn't that what they say when terrorists target innocents elsewhere?

...uh.. how did liberals take this mans job? Did some liberals move into his house and tell him to deal with it because there was liberal ancestors living on his plot of land 4k years ago?

Maybe he used to be a logger. Or he was a farmer who wanted to subdivide, develop and sell.

Maybe he used to be a logger. Or he was a farmer who wanted to subdivide, develop and sell.

maybe you are looking for any excuse you think will stick in order to rationalize the latest Eric Rudolph.

No, brainiac. I'm being facetious. There's no excuse for it when this guy does it...and there's no excuse when anybody else does it, either.

facetious.. good word.

And, for what it's worth, I don't blame anyone else for his action other than this individual.

When you have Rush Limbaugh on hate radio everyday and others like him denouncing liberals this stuff is going to happen

further, to suggest that Limbaugh makes an individual kill liberals is synonymous with Tipper Gore and the PMRC claiming that Judas Priest does the same. It's total bullshit and a waste of partisan breath to suggest as much.

time to start arresting conservatives and shippin em to git-mo.

they ate us for our freedoms...

(being facetious of course)

Forum List

Back