Green energy 'stagnates' as fossil fuels dominate

I notice you didn't post the link, maybe because a large chunk of "renewables" is HYDRO!

Can't take your unsourced chart seriously until I see the link you didn't post.
Yes and even hydro is not renewable. It takes crews to maintain the generators, the power lines, adequate dam levels, etc. Dams need maintenance and inspectors to ensure they are not leaking as well.

Yes and even hydro is not renewable. It takes crews to maintain the generators, the power lines, adequate dam levels, etc. Dams need maintenance and inspectors to ensure they are not leaking as well.

The EIA has classified it as Renewable due to the rivers undending flow,

Hydropower explained​

Hydropower is energy in moving water​

People have a long history of using the force of water flowing in streams and rivers to produce mechanical energy. Hydropower was one of the first sources of energy used for electricity generation, and until 2019, hydropower was the largest source of total annual U.S. renewable electricity generation.

LINK

All "renewable" power sources also requires maintenance too.

The EIA has classified it as Renewable due to the rivers undending flow,

Hydropower explained​

Hydropower is energy in moving water​

People have a long history of using the force of water flowing in streams and rivers to produce mechanical energy. Hydropower was one of the first sources of energy used for electricity generation, and until 2019, hydropower was the largest source of total annual U.S. renewable electricity generation.

LINK

All "renewable" power sources also requires maintenance too.
That was my point, the term 'renewable' is misleading because that constant flow has to be altered, re routed and processed through huge generators. The whole system is subject to natural entropy and must be constantly monitored and maintained. If you ask me, the only thing 'renewable' about hydro power is the equipment that has to be renewed on an on-going basis.

That was my point, the term 'renewable' is misleading because that constant flow has to be altered, re routed and processed through huge generators. The whole system is subject to natural entropy and must be constantly monitored and maintained. If you ask me, the only thing 'renewable' about hydro power is the equipment that has to be renewed on an on-going basis.

You have to say the same thing about Wind and Solar too because they interrupt the "natural" flow into a specific direction.

You are trying too hard with nothing.

You have to say the same thing about Wind and Solar too because they interrupt the "natural" flow into a specific direction.

You are trying too hard with nothing.
Of course that was my whole point. 'Renewable' is just a catch phrase with no meaning.

If there is 'no profit to be had' then funding so-called 'renewables' and building an appropriate infrastructure will never take place. Try setting up a windmill or solar array for free, then find maintenance people to take care if it for free.
There's no profit to be had for manufacturers in simple systems. The only ones that benefit are the materials suppliers and the homeowners, and of course the environment. Insulation is such a simple system, doesn't produce energy but greatly reduces the need for it.

Last edited:
I notice you didn't post the link, maybe because a large chunk of "renewables" is HYDRO!

Can't take your unsourced chart seriously until I see the link you didn't post.

Almost all the gains in renewables come from wind and solar, not hydro.

KissMy is correct about the US and Europe where renewables have taken market share. However, the report is about global demand.

FYI, I own a ton of oil stocks. Once we get through this recession, oil prices are going to skyrocket. We simply haven't been putting enough capital into the industry. However, money is flooding into renewables. That makes oil a great investment and renewables not. At the wellhead, you can generate triple digit returns. Developing and levering up a solar farm might make you 8-9%.

This energy transition is happening. However, there are some imbalances brewing. And a lot of assumptions are being made about battery technology which may or may not happen. There's money to be made in oil. But investors don't care.

Renewables are already 20% of US electricity production. By next year they will overtake every source other than natural gas.
That's good, we're finally going in the right direction.

Green energy is nice but there's no way to make enough of it. Therefore, our IIC should go back to Trump's way and stop pretending.
trump's way ? Declaring that we were energy independent when the whole country was shut down and we weren't using any energy. Just another lie.

There's no profit to be had for manufacturers in simple systems. The only ones that benefit are the materials suppliers and the homeowners, of course the environment. Insulation is such a simple system.
Describe what you mean by 'simple systems.'

Describe what you mean by 'simple systems.'
Whole house insulation upgrades, energy efficient replacement water heaters (including tankless), ambient or solar preheating for hot water. New homes designed and oriented for solar collection and storage. These sound like conservation but really involve systems.

I have experimented with solar water heating using PVC pipe instead of metal. Very cheap to build and provides temperatures consistent with operating temps of water heaters without the need for mixing valves, pumps, holding tank, or controls.

The wider use of off-peak electricity for air conditioning is a fuel saver for the utilities and a money saver for the consumer.

A new study says that the world is using more fossil fuels than ever as the transition to green energy stalls.
The Renewables 2022 Global Status Report says the share of wind and solar in the global energy mix has risen minimally in the last decade.
While renewables boomed in the electricity sector last year, they didn't meet the overall rise in demand.
In transport, which accounts for a third of energy, renewables provided less than 4%.
The current situation in Ukraine has exacerbated this trend, according to the authors

Well, renewables don't seem to be going to plan for the climate champions. What are they going to do?
Not just using more BUT DEMANDING MORE!

Take that ALL YOU Green Weenies

Whole house insulation upgrades, energy efficient replacement water heaters (including tankless), ambient or solar preheating for hot water. New homes designed and oriented for solar collection and storage. These sound like conservation but really involve systems.

I have experimented with solar water heating using PVC pipe instead of metal. Very cheap to build and provides temperatures consistent with operating temps of water heaters without the need for mixing valves, pumps, holding tank, or controls.

The wider use of off-peak electricity for air conditioning is a fuel saver for the utilities and a money saver for the consumer.
I am a restless sleeper, so I get up several times during the night, often when I know it's going to be hot the next day, I get up at 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning turn the air on, and let the house cool down to at least 72°, then shut it off. I pull all the shades shut and the house stays comfortable usually all day. If it gets a little warm in the house, I run fans in whatever room I am in. Once it gets dark again if I need to I can run the air or wait till the next early morning and do it all over again. My air conditioning bill is rarely over $125 a month. The house is well insulated and is light colored,; and I've raised the ground up all around the foundation, less foundation exposed to the elements helps in summer with the air conditioning, as well as in winter with the heating. I do not heat or air condition the house throughout much of the year. Spring and fall, I open the shades and let the sun heat the house if needed or enjoy the natural air conditioning courtesy of mother nature. We all must adapt to what's coming. I'm sure I will take more stringent efforts in the future. Thanks for your post, it gave me some new ideas. Have a great day. Looks like you're planning for many great days.

I am a restless sleeper, so I get up several times during the night, often when I know it's going to be hot the next day, I get up at 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning turn the air on, and let the house cool down to at least 72°, then shut it off. I pull all the shades shut and the house stays comfortable usually all day. If it gets a little warm in the house, I run fans in whatever room I am in. Once it gets dark again if I need to I can run the air or wait till the next early morning and do it all over again. My air conditioning bill is rarely over $125 a month. The house is well insulated and is light colored,; and I've raised the ground up all around the foundation, less foundation exposed to the elements helps in summer with the air conditioning, as well as in winter with the heating. I do not heat or air condition the house throughout much of the year. Spring and fall, I open the shades and let the sun heat the house if needed or enjoy the natural air conditioning courtesy of mother nature. We all must adapt to what's coming. I'm sure I will take more stringent efforts in the future. Thanks for your post, it gave me some new ideas. Have a great day. Looks like you're planning for many great days.
I like to sleep cool in summer so I turn the ac on when I go to bed and turn it off when I get up, all during off-peak* hours. Just added R49 to the attic and it really makes a difference. Am exploring signing up for off-peak rates but they want a 12 month contract. Also I don't know how it works during the heating season. And, as I live alone I don't know how much it would really save me.

*Off-peak electricity rates are about half of daytime rates from my utility. I'm surprised that it isn't 'sold out'. Maybe people just don't know about it. For anyone with a family it represents a big savings on the electric bill.

Last edited:
I like to sleep cool in summer so I turn the ac on when I go to bed and turn it off when I get up, all during off-peak hours. Just added R49 to the attic and it really makes a difference. Am exploring signing up for off-peak rates but they want a 12 month contract. Also I don't know how it works during the heating season. And, as I live alone I don't know how much it would really save me.
Like I said, sounds like you're always thinking and planning ahead. That's a good quality in a person. I live alone also, and I'm trying not to create too big a carbon footprint. I recycle everything I can, I end up with about a half bag of garbage a month, I still work part-time I got my employer to allow me to put my half bag of garbage in with their trash, plus I have an agreement with my neighbor, he allows me to put it in with his trash if I need to. In return I always take his trash cans back in, once they are emptied on collection days. My work is a block and a half away. I've always walked to work. Unusual month I buy gas once or twice.

Like I said, sounds like you're always thinking and planning ahead. That's a good quality in a person. I live alone also, and I'm trying not to create too big a carbon footprint. I recycle everything I can, I end up with about a half bag of garbage a month, I still work part-time I got my employer to allow me to put my half bag of garbage in with their trash, plus I have an agreement with my neighbor, he allows me to put it in with his trash if I need to. In return I always take his trash cans back in, once they are emptied on collection days. My work is a block and a half away. I've always walked to work. Unusual month I buy gas once or twice.
The country needs us older guys to show the way. :)

The country needs us older guys to show the way. :)
With gas prices as high as they are, I can't believe people are letting their vehicles run with the air conditioning on while they do their shopping just so they won't be a little uncomfortable when they are done shopping. It's ridiculous.

With gas prices as high as they are, I can't believe people are letting their vehicles run with the air conditioning on while they do their shopping just so they won't be a little uncomfortable when they are done shopping. It's ridiculous.
I live on the Scottish/English border. No air con in my car, I open the window the two or three weeks of the year, and in the house, the odd time I have to get the fan out. The girlfriends car has air con, but it's more efficient to drive 5 minutes first with the windows open, then close them and then put the air con on.

A new study says that the world is using more fossil fuels than ever as the transition to green energy stalls.
The Renewables 2022 Global Status Report says the share of wind and solar in the global energy mix has risen minimally in the last decade.
While renewables boomed in the electricity sector last year, they didn't meet the overall rise in demand.
In transport, which accounts for a third of energy, renewables provided less than 4%.
The current situation in Ukraine has exacerbated this trend, according to the authors

Well, renewables don't seem to be going to plan for the climate champions. What are they going to do?
The problem is the war in Ukraine. Saving the world has been forgotten as people determine to end it by thermal nuclear war

The developing countries are increasing their use of energy as they become more affluent. Green energy can't satisfy this demand.

Forum List

Back