Great Americans

I admire many people from our past , the adventurers , explorers , and just Americans in general who were innovative , inventive , risk takers , and just plain tough . One of the historical fiqures I admire is Andrew Carnegie , A Scotish immigrant with no education who built an amazing industrial empire . He did this all on his own through dedication and hard work . With no safety net I might add . And with the great wealth he amassed , he turned his attention to humanitarian pursuits . Pursuits like building libraries and hospitals , and authoring books that that helped people but didn't baby them . Who might be some of you all's idea of great Americans ?

Johnny Appleseed.

Johnny Appleseed, born John Chapman (September 26, 1774 – February 18, 1845), was an American pioneer nurseryman who introduced apple trees to large parts of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. He became an American legend while still alive, largely because of his kind and generous ways, his great leadership in conservation, and the symbolic importance of apples.
He was also a missionary for the Church of the New Jerusalem, or Swedenborgian Church, so named because it teaches the theological doctrines contained in the writings of Emanuel Swedenborg.[1]

The guy is my kind of liberal (anti-prohibitionist) AND my kind of christian (ie a REAL follower of Christ's teachings) , too.

What this nation need now (I'm too damned old or I might consider it) is a Johnny Hempseed.

Forum List

Back