Grace

N

NewGuy

As one who has been convicted in this area this morning, I thought I would simply post this:

Main Entry: 1grace
Pronunciation: 'grAs
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin gratia favor, charm, thanks, from gratus pleasing, grateful; akin to Sanskrit grnAti he praises
1 a : unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification b : a virtue coming from God c : a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine grace
2 a : APPROVAL, FAVOR <stayed in his good graces> b archaic : MERCY, PARDON c : a special favor : PRIVILEGE <each in his place, by right, not grace, shall rule his heritage -- Rudyard Kipling> d : disposition to or an act or instance of kindness, courtesy, or clemency e : a temporary exemption : REPRIEVE

synonym see MERCY
------------------------------------
Biblically:
Definition: Grace is all that God is free to do and does for mankind on the basis of the work of Jesus Christ. It is a resource that can be never earned or deserved, but can only be received as a gift. It is God’s work on behalf of mankind. Therefore, it functions apart from all human works, cooperation or merit. Grace is universally free and is designed to impart happiness and joy on its recipients. Thus, grace depends entirely upon God’s essence, character and attributes. Romans 1:5; Romans 5:15; Romans 11:6.

God is the giver of grace; Psalm 84:11; Psalm 138:6; Proverbs 3:34; 1 Corinthians 1:4; James 1:17; James 4:6. In grace God gives:

Election; Romans 11:5; Galatians 1:6; Galatians 1:15; 2 Timothy 1:9.

Justification; Romans 3:24; Galatians 2:21; Titus 3:7.

Forgiveness of sins; Ephesians 1:7.

Faith; Acts 18:27.

Salvation; Acts 15:11; Ephesians 2:5; Ephesians 2:8; 2 Thessalonians 2:16; Titus 2:11.

Hope; 2 Thessalonians 2:16.

Spiritual gifts; Romans 12:6; Ephesians 4:7.

As believers we are to operate in grace.

We are under grace; Romans 6:14.

Grace is not a license to sin; Romans 6:1; Romans 6:15.

We are to be products of grace; 1 Corinthians 15:10; 2 Corinthians 1:12.

Grace meets our needs in abundance; 2 Corinthians 8:1; 2 Corinthians 9:8; 2 Corinthians 9:14.

Christian service is the work of grace; 2 Corinthians 8:6-7; 2 Corinthians 8:19.

Grace should be our mental attitude; Colossians 3:16.

Grace should be our focus; 1 Peter 1:13.

We should show grace to others; Hebrews 12:28.

We are to be strengthened by grace; Hebrews 13:9; 2 Timothy 2:1.

We are to speak with grace; Ephesians 4:29; Colossians 4:6.

We are to grow in grace; 2 Peter 3:18.

We are to find grace through prayer; Hebrews 4:16.

The word of grace is able to build us up; Acts 20:32.

Grace is designed to lead us to thanksgiving; 2 Corinthians 4:15.

Believers must sort out the difference between grace and legalism. In grace God is glorified, in legalism man takes the credit. Grace and legalism are mutually exclusive. They are opposites. Romans 11:6; Galatians 2:21; Galatians 5:4.

Axioms of Grace:

God is perfect and his plan is perfect.

A perfect plan can only originate and function from a perfect God.

If man can do anything meritorious in the plan, then the plan is no longer perfect.

A plan is no stronger than its weakest link.

Legalism and human works are the enemies of grace; Romans 11:6.

Human righteousness has no place in the plan of God; Isaiah 64:6.

All human works are associated with pride or arrogance.

Four areas pride rejects grace:

Rejection of eternal security, (My sins are greater than God or his ability to save).

Succumbing to the pressure of adversity, (My suffering is greater than God or his ability to see me through it); 2 Corinthians 12:7-10.

Pseudo spirituality, (My system of religion, works, or legalism is better than God, or will earn my way to heaven); Galatians 2:21; Romans 11:6.

Emotional rebellion or revolt, (My feelings and experiences are greater than God or his word); 2 Corinthians 6:11-12.

I agree, interesting subject.

It's a religious concept I've never actually understood or heard described in such detail before.

I'm also satisfied I don't qualify for any of the "Four areas pride which rejects grace".

But I can name a few times I have been a subject of grace.

Actually, just the fact everyone in my immediate family, along with the extended one (cousins), has never suffered major loss is kind of miraculous.

Bah, I earned some 'grace rejection qualifications' there at the end. Oh well.

"Legalism and human works are the enemies of grace?" Hmmm...

"All human works are associated with pride..."

That's one of the things I don't like about christianity: That pride is a sin.

So human works are sinful? Taken to the extreme that could be catastrophically bad for humanity, at least from my perspective (there's that nihilism again).

I like pride, and I think it's good to be proud.

Start a thread explaining what's so bad about pride.

The biggest problem I see with pride is that it causes you to do things that are not sincere. I guess the consequences can be good, but it does no diminish the fact that there is often a lack of sincerity. Many people do good things not to help others as much as to make themselves feel good.

Originally posted by freeandfun1
The biggest problem I see with pride is that it causes you to do things that are not sincere. I guess the consequences can be good, but it does no diminish the fact that there is often a lack of sincerity. Many people do good things not to help others as much as to make themselves feel good.

I am working on a response for a thread on pride for him......It may take a little time.

;)

Originally posted by freeandfun1

Expecting the worst from man. I suppose there's good reason for that, but I take objection with a blanket rejection of pride. Some people are proud to be good for the sake of goodness.

But I'll leave further discussion to that promised thread.

Forum List

Back