Governor Rick Perry And Texas Honor The Most Decorated Soldier Of WW2, Audie Murphy

Steve_McGarrett

Gold Member
Jul 11, 2013
I have been struck but the similarities between childhoods of Lt. Audie Murphy and Sgt. Alvin York. Both backbreaking poor. Both had to learn to shoot to feed their families. And the huge differences. One tried to avoid military service and the other was not wanted by the military.

250px-Audie_Murphy.png

List of the medals and awards won by Audie Murphy:
•Congressional Medal of Honor
•Distinguished Service Cross
•Two Silver Stars
•Legion of Merit
•Two Bronze Stars
•Three Purple Hearts
•U.S. Army Outstanding Civilian Service Medal
•Good Conduct Medal
•Two Presidential Unit Citations
•American Campaign Medal
•European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with One Silver Star,
Four Bronze Service Stars and one Bronze Arrowhead
•World War II Victory Medal
•Army of Occupation Medal
•Armed Forces Reserve Medal
•Combat Infantry Badge
•Marksman Badge with Rifle Bar
•Expert Badge with Bayonet Bar
•French Fourragere in Colors of the Croix de Guerre
•French Legion of Honor, Grade of Chevalier
•French Croix de Guerre With Silver Star
•French Croix de Guerre with Palm
•Medal of Liberated France
•Belgian Croix de Guerre 1940 Palm

Texas finally honors World War II hero Audie Murphy « Coach is Right
Texas finally honors World War II hero Audie Murphy « Coach is Right

Fully sixteen years after the State of Texas began honoring its military heroes with the Texas Legislative Medal of Honor, the most decorated combat soldier of World War II was finally recognized by Governor Rick Perry and the Texas legislature.

Born in the Lone Star State in 1924, the 5’6″, 130lb Audie Leon Murphy was told he was too small to make it in the Navy or as a United States Marine. So the baby-faced, underage Texan enlisted in the Army and in early 1942 was shipped to North Africa as part of the Third Infantry Division.

And in 3 years of war, Audie Murphy performed feats of bravery unequaled by any American soldier.

On January 26th, 1945, then Lieutenant Murphy was one of just 19 soldiers remaining from a company of 128 men. He had been ordered to hold the important Colmar Pocket area near the village of Holtzwihr in France.

Faced by an approaching enemy force of 3 infantry support companies and 6 heavy Tiger tanks, Murphy ordered his men well back into a defensive position while he climbed behind the 50 cal machine gun mounted on a burning M-10 Tank Destroyer.

Though the M-10 threatened to explode at any moment, for a full hour Murphy called down a withering artillery barrage on the German position using his OWN map coordinates to provide firing instructions. When one of the artillery crew asked how close the enemy were to his position, Murphy is said to have responded, “Hang on the line and I’ll let you talk to one of the bastards.”
After 60 minutes, so many German soldiers had been killed by American artillery and Murphy’s 50 caliber gun that the Tigers were forced to withdraw due to the critical loss of ground support.

Audie was truly an America hero, the real thing and an icon. He was not twenty when the war ended. He developed into an adequate actor and was successful as a livestock man. He died at 45.

My Mom talks about him and his accomplishments all the time. I think the Highlight of her Washington DC trip to visit his grave in Arlington National Cemetery. He was such a great American hero I don't understand why there isn't a Audie Murphy Day.

Forum List

Back