Governments Derive Their Power From Where?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Before this 'crisis' is over we may relearn that lesson. Rumblings in England and China? Same with Russia, posted that earlier...

http://www.usmessageboard.com/general-global-topics/68685-some-good-news-for-obama.html#post1023149

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. indago

indago VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Adding to that...

During the creation of the Bill of Rights, many ideas were promoted, and, at times, the thoughts were not well expressed in the words proposed in the various items which were to be assembled into the Bill of Rights. Mr. Elbridge Gerry, a Representative from the State of Massachusetts, noted this in a speech in Congress, which was expressed in The Congressional Register of 14 August 1789: "Mr. Gerry said they were not well expressed, we have it here 'government being intended for the benefit of the people,' this holds up an idea that all the governments of the earth are intended for the benefit of the people: Now, I am so far from being of this opinion, that I don't believe that one out of fifty is intended for any such purpose. I believe the establishment of most governments was to gratify the ambition of an individual, who by fraud, force, or accident, had made himself master of the people. If we contemplate the history of nations, ancient or modern, we shall find they originated either in fraud or force, or both; if this is demonstrable, how can we pretend to say that governments are intended for the benefit of those who are most oppressed by them. This maxim does not appear to me to be strictly true in fact, therefore I think we ought not to insert it in the constitution."

They didn't.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    and recognizing those tendencies, the Founders went out of their way to enumerate the federal powers, reserving the rest to the states, to keep government as close to the people and limited as possible.

4. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Government derive their power from their ability to control violence within their borders and their ability to extract resources from their populace. Democracy is only a means of legitimization, which allows the government to do these things more successfully. Saudi Arabia is no less a government than the US despite its lack of democracy.

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    From the barrel of a gun, of course.

In more civilized societies, the threat of the gun is really all that's needed, but ultimately all laws are empowered by the gun.

That gun is either overt, as in repressive societies, or it is implied, as in civil societies.

But in both cases, that gun will be put into play if one refuses to acknowledge the authority of them which wield them.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    How do they get them ?

7. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    They buy them from America usually, but sometimes China, Russia or France.

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    And I assume they use tax money to do it ?

9. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Most of them rely on natural resource wealth and the granting of concessions to large multinationals. Others rely on the kind support of a patron government. I suppose initially it was just the biggest guy with a club, or maybe a group large enough to take that guy down. See 2001 A Space Odyssey for example.

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    personally I still think the people abdicate and allow the government to have the ability to control them.