Government reopens probe of Emmett Till slaying that inspired civil rights movement

Can justice still be obtained in the murder of Emmitt Till if the parties involved are already dead?

• Yes - it's never too late for justice

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No - too little too late

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Government reopens probe of Emmett Till slaying in 1955

The reopening comes 10 years after a white woman admitted that she lied in her decades-old testimony that Till grabbed her and made sexual advances.

Jul.12.2018 / 3:36 AM ET / Source: Associated Press

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — The federal government has reopened its investigation into the slaying of Emmett Till, the black teenager whose brutal killing in Mississippi shocked the world and helped inspire the civil rights movement more than 60 years ago.

The Justice Department told Congress in a report in March it is reinvestigating Till's slaying in Money, Mississippi, in 1955 after receiving "new information." The case was closed in 2007 with authorities saying the suspects were dead; a state grand jury didn't file any new charges.​

I recently posted about the first white man in the state of Florida who was executed for the murder of a black man. This didn't occur until the year 2017. So I also began looking for known cases of black men murdered for which no one was ever held accountable.

As I suspected there are many of them but I still don't know if these crimes are included in the FBI statistics. That's one of the questions I'm looking to answer.

Last edited:
Seems a political ploy at this point and time, so is it a political ploy to drum up racist issues in this country ?? One wonders in light of the strife that is going on between the two parties right now.

Boy oh boy. The idiocy never stops.

I'm actually very curious about this since according to what I've read it's pretty much impossible to try a deceased defendant due to the violation to their right to a fair trial (presumably since they would not be able to appear to defend themselves) and since the defendants in this case were acquited, I believe the prohibition against double jeopardy would have prevented them from being tried again, unless they were tried by the federal government for civil rights violations?

I did find this though

A posthumous trial or post-mortem trial is a trial held after the defendant's death. Posthumous trials can be held for a variety of reasons, including the legal declaration that the defendant was the one who committed the crime, to provide justice for society or family members of the victims, or to exonerate a wrongfully convicted person after their death. Due to the heavy cost, they are usually held only under extraordinary circumstances.​

The suspects in the Till slaying were acquitted even after they admitted to killing the child. So they aren't even suspects. What new information could there be? The case was reopened once on a claim that Till wasn't dead.

Let the boy rest in peace.

Emmett Till - Wikipedia

TSOMS is creating his own Fake News. It's a lie.

Till was 15, not a pimp running a stable of prostitutes.

Sage, you have probably topped your silliest post with this one.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
The suspects in the Till slaying were acquitted even after they admitted to killing the child. So they aren't even suspects. What new information could there be? The case was reopened once on a claim that Till wasn't dead.

Let the boy rest in peace.

Emmett Till - Wikipedia

You are here defending two white men who murdered a kid. You have no class.

The suspects did not admit their roles in the killing until after they were acquitted.

I will say this... That was an awful, awful thing upon what was done to that kid, and I hope the culprits are ROTTING in HELL forever and ever and ever Amen.

However, I hope this story isn't being drummed up for political reasons, and this in order to deflect or inject racism into our elections coming soon in the midterms. Hmmmm. Is this yet another plan of the Demon-crats to try to inject race into the election against the republicans for which they (the Demon-crats), claim are racist ?? Hmmmm.

Anderson's book, beagle9, when it was published, stirred up a lot of feeling.

I doubt it is any NWO-Democrat-black racist plot.

Let Emmett Rest In Peace

The injustice of his death is already well known

It was murder the killers got away with so if there is anything legally now that can be done it should IMO. At the very least for the family that suffered so much with their loss and then the fix that ensued.
Not much can be done

Forum List

Back