Government ran Healthcare at its best...

jreeves

Feb 12, 2008
Sellers of wheelchairs, drugs and other medical supplies collected as much as $93 million in fraudulent Medicare claims based on prescriptions from doctors who actually were dead, some for 10 years or more, a congressional investigation has found.

Millions more dollars will continue to be at risk of waste and fraud each year in the billion-dollar government-run health program for the elderly and disabled unless Medicare officials address flaws that they've promised to fix since at least 2001, according to the probe.

The bipartisan report by the Senate Homeland Security investigations subcommittee, obtained Tuesday by The Associated Press, reviewed millions of reimbursement claims for medical equipment and supplies from 2000 through 2007. It found that Medicare paid out between $60.3 million to $92.8 million to medical suppliers even though they involved claims in which the prescribing doctor listed had been dead for at least 12 months.

In Florida, which has a high number of Medicare claims, more than $2 million alone was paid to medical suppliers from 2002 to 2007 for equipment such as oxygen machines, prosthetics and diabetic equipment that claimed to have prescriptions from 114 deceased doctors. As many as 484 claims totaling $544,789 were filed under an ID code for a single deceased doctor who had died in 1999.

and more at...
Probe: Dead Doctors Used In Medicare Scams, Congress Finds Medical Suppliers Bilked Medicare Of $93M Based On Prescriptions From Dead Docs - CBS News

Dead doctors prescribing medical supplies, I wonder how much of this fraud would be committed under a massive universal healthcare system? This is just another example of the government's efficiency. Now who's ready for a multi-trillion dollar healthcare system?

Last edited:
Sellers of wheelchairs, drugs and other medical supplies collected as much as $93 million in fraudulent Medicare claims based on prescriptions from doctors who actually were dead, some for 10 years or more, a congressional investigation has found.

Millions more dollars will continue to be at risk of waste and fraud each year in the billion-dollar government-run health program for the elderly and disabled unless Medicare officials address flaws that they've promised to fix since at least 2001, according to the probe.

The bipartisan report by the Senate Homeland Security investigations subcommittee, obtained Tuesday by The Associated Press, reviewed millions of reimbursement claims for medical equipment and supplies from 2000 through 2007. It found that Medicare paid out between $60.3 million to $92.8 million to medical suppliers even though they involved claims in which the prescribing doctor listed had been dead for at least 12 months.

In Florida, which has a high number of Medicare claims, more than $2 million alone was paid to medical suppliers from 2002 to 2007 for equipment such as oxygen machines, prosthetics and diabetic equipment that claimed to have prescriptions from 114 deceased doctors. As many as 484 claims totaling $544,789 were filed under an ID code for a single deceased doctor who had died in 1999.

and more at...
Probe: Dead Doctors Used In Medicare Scams, Congress Finds Medical Suppliers Bilked Medicare Of $93M Based On Prescriptions From Dead Docs - CBS News

Dead doctors prescribing medical supplies, I wonder how much of this fraud would be committed under a massive universal healthcare system? This is just another example of the government's efficiency. Now who's ready for a multi-trillion dollar healthcare system?

There is just as much fraud in the private sector.

Link please?

They certainly do. It is the private sector that is ripping off Medicare in your example.

Medicare aka Government: Somethings never change.

:offtopic:

The original mission of federal inspectors general was to take a bite out of government waste and abuse. But critics worry that they are being muzzled in the name of reform.

Raise your hands if you've heard the story about the U.S. government's $640 toilet seat. How about its $400 hammer, or that $500,000 outhouse Uncle Sam built in Pennsylvania, complete with a gabled slate roof and homey front porch? Or the recent news that it takes two federal agencies -- two! -- to oversee the making of frozen pizzas: one with responsibility for plain, the other with authority over pepperoni.

Bark Over Bite? | Insight on the News | Find Articles at BNET

The private sector didn't pay out the tax money the government did....

so corrupted people in the private sector stole gov't money, and people are blaming the gov't here? seems to me the people who stole should be the ones getting blamed

so corrupted people in the private sector stole gov't money, and people are blaming the gov't here? seems to me the people who stole should be the ones getting blamed

While government run healthcare would certianly be detrimental to Americans, one has to agree with the above. Generally we punish the theif, not the person the theif stole from.

Both entities bear responsibility, I just don't want to see billions of US taxpayer's money wasted on fraud.

Both entities bear responsibility, I just don't want to see billions of US taxpayer's money wasted on fraud.

Lock up the thieves and quit making it so damn easy for new ones to steal from system that proves itself incompetant--over and over and over.

:lol:

Good point, Kirk.

Slash the military budget by 50% then. You will save hundreds of billions of dollars each year, much of it on useless crap we don't need

and more at...

This all goes back to my point... With a 9% approval rating why do people have faith that the government will do a better job than the private companies... Sounds like common sense to me... Doesn't 2 + 2 still equal 4???

One other thing can someone show me where it says we have a right to healthcare in the Constitution????

So the companies are at fault? It can't possibly be the consumers who are abusing the Medicare system to acquire those goods on the taxpayer's dime? Aren't consumers the ones making the fraudulent claims?

So the companies are at fault? It can't possibly be the consumers who are abusing the Medicare system to acquire those goods on the taxpayer's dime? Aren't consumers the ones making the fraudulent claims?

Fraudulent claims were made for goods and services not provided.

this All Goes Back To My Point... With A 9% Approval Rating Why Do People Have Faith That The Government Will Do A Better Job Than The Private Companies... Sounds Like Common Sense To Me... Doesn't 2 + 2 Still Equal 4???

One Other Thing Can Someone Show Me Where It Says We Have A Right To Healthcare In The Constitution????

Every other country in the Western world has universal healthcare, and they pay half per capita what we pay for healthcare.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back