Discussion in 'Energy' started by ScreamingEagle, Apr 18, 2011.
Heard this story on the radio....can't find it anywhere in the major media...
One event does not equal a systemic problem with a device. You also need to see where the fire originated. if it was in the wiring, then the car couldn't be responsible, as plugging it in is the same as plugging in an air conditioner. I'm wondering how up to date this guys wiring was.
Yep the facts are not in, they guy may have had it plugged in thru a 50 ft 18 gauge extension cord.
It does appear to be enough rumor to activate the fear mongers though.
Hybrid cars don't have the same type of batteries that are in regular cars. They have ultra high capacity types that react poorly to overcharging or internal damage.
If a regular car battery is damaged, it just won't hold a charge. If a high capacity hybrid battery gets damaged or the charger malfunctions or the battery overcharges it WILL EVENTUALLY GO NUCLEAR!
There are already cases of model airplane guys burning their garages down because of faulty batteries and chargers. You can see what a similar but larger battery can and will do if damaged.
No more risk than cell phones buring your house down charging.
There are many safety devices involved in Lithium ion Batteries.
At this point in time there is probably 10,000X higher risk to the average american from burning your house down from cell phone or laptop recharging.
I assume the cars have a regulator that would prevent the battery from overcharging. What they cannot have is something to prevent the wiring in your house from fryining if you try to suck too many amps through them.
If you are going through with the up front expense for a volt, you should be told that you need to check your houses wiring. Hell, the dealer should include it in the package.
Umm we already have building codes and such for home wiring standards.
More nanny state govt stuff?
Do they check the gas stations for safety when they sell you a gas fueled car?
Or an electric heater? They cause thousands of home fires annually due to faulty home wiring or improper use of extension cords and such user errors.
Who the hell is talking about the state requring something? I was talking about the dealer including a review of your wiring to make sure you are up to speed.
The gas station reference really doesnt make sense. Gas stations are regulated by code, usually fire. These have been around for ages, the safety protocols are already existing.
What you have now is people installing a circuit that may not be found in some houses, and may tax a code approved existing system. The dealers need to at least educate people on this when they sell the vehicles to them
This is a new technology, and will have some growing pains.
Check out what can happen when a similar but much smaller model airplane battery gets overcharged. The same thing can happen when the battery gets damaged (But we know that will NEVER happen will it?)
The Volt uses a lithium ion battery. Your video is for a lithium ion polymer battery, a newer version of the LI, but more unstable. Not a fair comparison.
Also batteries this small require you to use a proper charger, while knowing what to do, and watch and regulate the recharge. A car has room for all sorts of interlocks and safety protocols to prevent overchrarge.
Separate names with a comma.