Governing is Not a Business

gkjpalmer

Aug 14, 2012
Where there are some elements of governing that can utilize some aspects of business models, governing is no where near the same as owning and running a business. It is much, much more and extends way beyond fiscal matters. Frankly, I believe the old cliche' that "Government should be run like a business" has been to long interpeted and accepted by to many of us that Government is merely a business proposition.

If so, then what business should the Government model itself after...Oil...McDonalds..Brokerage and Banking...Google?

And of these...which affords rights to all, builds roads, bridges, puts out fires, and allows their employees to replace ownership of the Company when they are not satisfied with how its being run?

There are some governing systems that do run exactly like a business that we could consider. Say hello China, if your interested.

In well run businesses people have certain responsibilities and are held accountable for them. If they don't perform they risk being on the street in favor of someone else appointed to do what they failed at.

So when I hear or read about running the government like a business that's what comes to mind for me because so often in government bureaucracy no one is accountable and things like waste and fraud just seem to go on and on. Sometimes as now, and in the past, from both parties, we hear talk about fixing such ills in campaigns but once the election is over nothing happens. The rhetoric just fades away and it's "business" as usual.

Where there are some elements of governing that can utilize some aspects of business models, governing is no where near the same as owning and running a business. It is much, much more and extends way beyond fiscal matters. Frankly, I believe the old cliche' that "Government should be run like a business" has been to long interpeted and accepted by to many of us that Government is merely a business proposition.

If so, then what business should the Government model itself after...Oil...McDonalds..Brokerage and Banking...Google?

And of these...which affords rights to all, builds roads, bridges, puts out fires, and allows their employees to replace ownership of the Company when they are not satisfied with how its being run?

There are some governing systems that do run exactly like a business that we could consider. Say hello China, if your interested.

Why should any government be run like a business or at least aspire to?

So moronic shit like this doesn't happen. I don't need to see the new movie 2016, I've seen the future Obama wants and it's called Detroit.

No Horses, But Detroit Water Department Employs 'Horseshoer'
Union head says it's 'not possible' to eliminate positions from bloated city entity

Despite having no horses, the water and sewerage department for the city of Detroit employs a horseshoer.

Yet even with a department so bloated that it has a horseshoer and no horses, the local union president said it is "not possible" to eliminate positions.

Union rules have turned the department into a government jobs program, some critics say.

No Horses, But Detroit Water Department Employs 'Horseshoer' [Michigan Capitol Confidential]

The city is freaking Democrat and union heavy and has been broke for forever. But you have bullshit like this going on.

Establishing and sticking to a budget...
Firing incompetent people...
Hiring competent people...
Having promotions and appointments based upon worth and performance...

These things should be borrowed from good business practice and inserted into government practice. There is no chance of that ever happening though. Politicians are inherently dishonest, conniving enablers of incompetence by way of rewarding loyalty with permanent jobs that require no penalties for lack of performance and have no accountability attached.

THAT is how government should mimic business.

In well run businesses people have certain responsibilities and are held accountable for them. If they don't perform they risk being on the street in favor of someone else appointed to do what they failed at.

So when I hear or read about running the government like a business that's what comes to mind for me because so often in government bureaucracy no one is accountable and things like waste and fraud just seem to go on and on. Sometimes as now, and in the past, from both parties, we hear talk about fixing such ills in campaigns but once the election is over nothing happens. The rhetoric just fades away and it's "business" as usual.

This. It usually isnt due to the elected officals, who can be tossed out (although in some cities this is difficult in itself) it is due to the hired burecrats that can basically not be fired, and can do either no work, or terrible work without any repercussion.

This. It usually isnt due to the elected officals, who can be tossed out (although in some cities this is difficult in itself) it is due to the hired burecrats that can basically not be fired, and can do either no work, or terrible work without any repercussion.

You're correct about the elected people. But often they have oversight responsibilities that never get carried out so the b.s. just keeps on keeping on. The idiots overlook the oversight parts of their jobs.

...what business should the Government model itself after...Oil...McDonalds..Brokerage and Banking...Google?

The enumerated powers in the Constitution outline the duties of the federal government. The only relation to business should be to maintain a reasonable balance sheet. As we approach $16 trillion of debt, it is clear we're far from reasonable.

And of these...which affords rights to all

The government does not "afford" rights. You're born with them.

, builds roads, bridges, puts out fires,

And which enumerated power requires the federal government to engage in any of these activities?

and allows their employees to replace ownership of the Company when they are not satisfied with how its being run?

With the vote.

You confuse real capitalism with crony capitalism. Hell, you're confusing it with communism! China is a government that owns the means of production. That's exactly what we're fighting against.

You're correct about the elected people. But often they have oversight responsibilities that never get carried out so the b.s. just keeps on keeping on. The idiots overlook the oversight parts of their jobs.

and in larger cities, the people working for them usually make up a big voter block, so any oversight would result in them possibly losing thier job, or even worse, losing funding for their re-election campaign.

Well let's see in the business world you can't lose money so you control your spending. If you don't have the money for new equipment, you have two choices - wait or get a loan. If the new equipment won't appraise at the cost of the loan, you probably can't get it.

Living within your means makes businesses prosper, overspending shuts them down. Now tell me which would you rather have?? A business that has checks and balances to keep spending at a minimum or GM that should have gone under??

This whole "the government isn't a business" is a crock of bull............if you don't control costs like a business should, you fall over the edge.

Regardless of what some may have said in the past, DEBT does MATTER!!

The purpose of a business is to make a profit. The purpose of government is to enact laws for the overall public good.

Well let's see in the business world you can't lose money so you control your spending. If you don't have the money for new equipment, you have two choices - wait or get a loan. If the new equipment won't appraise at the cost of the loan, you probably can't get it.

Living within your means makes businesses prosper, overspending shuts them down. Now tell me which would you rather have?? A business that has checks and balances to keep spending at a minimum or GM that should have gone under??

This whole "the government isn't a business" is a crock of bull............if you don't control costs like a business should, you fall over the edge.

Regardless of what some may have said in the past, DEBT does MATTER!!

Businesses can run for a time in the red, but they usually maintain cash reserves to handle this. They also do go into debt, but it is always with the understanding that it will be paid back in a relatively short term.

Government on the other hand goes with "half keysian" economics, where they purport to spend over thier income during economic downtimes, which is keysian, but then neglet to pay down the debt during times of economic growth, which is the other half of keysian.

The Workplace is NOT
A DEMOCRACY!

The Workplace is NOT
A DEMOCRACY!

The US is not a Democracy​

Forum List

Back