GOP: Will they pass laws to keep insurance companies from canceling policies????

R

rdean

Saw a guy on the news mention that during a stretch of a couple of years, insurance companies canceled 20,000 policies. He mentioned it because of the GOP screaming about canceled policies.

See? Republicans want to make a big deal of insurance companies canceling policies because of "Affordable Care". The reason is because when the exchanges opened the markets, the shitty polices that were being offered weren't competitive. Insurance companies know that they can't offer policies costing $59 a month that are only good for two grand and no maternal.

They are canceling the policies and offering better ones. Remember, under Affordable Care, insurance companies have to spend a minimum of 80% on the patients. This is one reason Republicans are furious. They want the companies to spend the 80% on dividends. Fuck sick people. They are already sick so who cares?

More reasons this will succeed and Republicans are already freaking.

And look at all the glitchy technology in the private sector. Why aren't they screaming about that? Anyone with Windows knows this to be true. And that's probably EVERYONE on the US Message Board.

:lol:
you just fuckin admitted what a parrot you are
"Saw a guy on the news mention that during a stretch of a couple of years, insurance companies canceled 20,000 policies. He mentioned it because of the GOP screaming about canceled policies."

"See?*"

gotta wait for someone else to talk, idiot?

Insurance companies cancelled all policies that had become illegal under obamacare. They had no choice. They did not offer maternity care to single men. The policies did not offer contraceptives or abortion services to 70 year old women.

good ole rdean, you can count on him to pass along the new Democrat talking point..they Caused it to happen but hey, they know what's BEST for you... how dare you buy what you think you needed

he's such a loyal sheep

baaaa baaa ba

Last edited:
In the free marketplace envisioned by "rabid, racist, extremist Tea Party Republicans," health insurance companies will be free to offer coverage that they believe the insurance-buying public might want, at rates determined by the risk profile of the policy terms. If the policy is "lousy," nobody will buy it and the policy will eventually be dropped.

Because everyone's needs are different. If I'm a healthy 25 year old single man with my own landscaping business, I may decide that I can self-insure trips to the emergency room, periodic visits to my PCP, and so forth, but I want coverage that will step in if I have a major accident or contract a deadly disease. I don't want to spend a lot on health insurance, and I shouldn't have to.

But under ACA, certain coverages are mandatory - even if they make no sense whatsoever to a particular policy holder - and the companies are precluded from refusing high-risk clients, dropping people who exceed lifetime caps, or charging appropriate surcharges for known, costly conditions.

So some policies that were fine and dandy up until now are not acceptable under ACA and will be dropped. And for most people, their rates to obtain the same coverage in 2014 that they had in 2012 will SKYROCKET. Their employers will try to soften the blow by making options available that minimize the increase in premiums - in exchange for higher deductibles, but self-employed people and those who buy their own health insurance are going to get socked in the gut.

It is not inconceivable that the Progressives have knowingly foisted this nightmarish change on us, in the hope that people's anger will cause a demand in the near future that we do what they have wanted all along: SINGLE PAYER. I.e., socialized medicine.

I am one conservative white man who would not mind socialized medicine, done properly. That is, take a look at the history of it in Canada, Great Britain, Germany, and else where, learn from their mistakes, and craft a global system of healthcare that makes overall sense.

But when has Government ever done that? Certainly, not in my lifetime.

The ONLY country that has a successful socialized medical care program is Germany. It has failed in Canada and Great Britian. Germany has a hybrid system with MINIMUM care given to the indigent, and medical insurance for those that pay. Close to the German system is our medicaid system. You will get your nose wiped, but don't expect a hip replacement.

Health care in GB is mostly a matter of tips. Do you want your medicine, tip the nurse. You want your food brought to your room within two hours, that's a tip. Clean sheets? Better tip the orderly. A history of good tips will get you a glass of water when you ask. Otherwise, ask the doctor to prescribe water or you won't get any.

If you want socialized single payer health care, this is what you can expect.

Hospital patients 'left so thirsty doctors had to prescribe water' - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent

If the GOP takes congress and if the presidents signs such bills, then sure.

But that would be democratic type legislation.

The problem in the U.S. is that we have had a very entrepreneurial system for too long. There are too many hugely-vested interests who would be ruined if we tried to move toward socialized medicine.

First of all, all of the health insurers would be out of business. They are pure middlemen whose role is to "spread the risk" and prevent fraud. The government can do it as well, so the insurance companies become superfluous.

Second, consider medical schools. In a rational system these would be entire run by government, with admission strictly based on merit. Dream on. Never happen here.

Consider the entire provider community, which has slowly evolved to milk Medicare, Medicaid, and the insurance industry dry. Doctors get paid for procedures, so what drives the prescription of those procedures? Patient need or doctors wanting to generate income? Don't think about it.

And look at the legal/malpractice aspect of it. In a sane system, people would be compensated in case of doctors' errors, but would not be enriched, and lawyers need not be involved at all. How soon could that happen, considering that most legislators and governors and the president are all lawyers?

How many doctors own labs and clinics, and expensive machinery that is used at the doctor's absolute discretion in diagnosing or treating patients? Could this go on with socialized medicine? Hell no.

But most importantly, socialized medicine requires that medical "treatment" be paid for from a finite pot of money, and hence some decisions MUST be made about the efficacious utilization of limited funds. Open heart surgery for that 85 year old guy? Maybe not. We could use that money to vaccinate 500 kids. Liposuction? Forget about it. Our current medical paradigms presume there is NO LIMIT on funding for procedures that doctors, in their infinite wisdom, can prescribe. Death panels? You bet. They would be absolutely necessary.

Under HillaryCare, if you recall, one of the first iron-clad rules was that you couldn't pay for your own surgeries. Reason being, if that were OK, then all the good doctors would go into private (non-government) practice and serve the Evil Rich, leaving everyone else to be treated by marginal doctors.

So, unfortunately, any attempt to bring about "single payer" in this country will be a worse abomination than in any other country on earth, because lobbyists will ensure that the insurance companies are protected, the hospitals and doctors are protected, the pharma companies are protected, and on, and on, and on. And you better bet that nurses will all be unionized - WITH the right to strike, as will everyone else in the government-run system, so we will have REGULAR shutdowns as one group or another gets their backs up and demands more money, better benefits, or earlier retirement.

Just my view.

Saw a guy on the news mention that during a stretch of a couple of years, insurance companies canceled 20,000 policies. He mentioned it because of the GOP screaming about canceled policies.

See? Republicans want to make a big deal of insurance companies canceling policies because of "Affordable Care". The reason is because when the exchanges opened the markets, the shitty polices that were being offered weren't competitive. Insurance companies know that they can't offer policies costing $59 a month that are only good for two grand and no maternal.

They are canceling the policies and offering better ones. Remember, under Affordable Care, insurance companies have to spend a minimum of 80% on the patients. This is one reason Republicans are furious. They want the companies to spend the 80% on dividends. Fuck sick people. They are already sick so who cares?

More reasons this will succeed and Republicans are already freaking.

And look at all the glitchy technology in the private sector. Why aren't they screaming about that? Anyone with Windows knows this to be true. And that's probably EVERYONE on the US Message Board.

Hi RDean: Can you explain why this insurance mandate couldn't be made to work with just the supporters of ACA paying in who consent to this business contract with insurance?

If all the prolife people set up hospitals to pay for prolife policies, they can do that without forcing prochoice people to pay for it. Insurance can be optional, or use donations etc.

If all the prochoice people want to set up clinics with prochoice policies, they can do that without forcing prolife people to pay for it. Insurance can be mandatory or whatever.

Why not here?

"Will the GOP pass laws"? What is this a 5th grade class in Civics 101? Neither political party "passes laws". The point seems to be that 20,000 insurance policies were cancelled during a couple of years before the ironically named "affordable care law". Now it seems that 93 Million policies might be cancelled due to the insane mess that democrats pushed through with intimidation and bribery.

If the GOP takes congress and if the presidents signs such bills, then sure.

But that would be democratic type legislation.

Democratic... Jakes favorite type

Frank, son, look at me. Look at me. That's better. The OP reads GOP: Will they pass laws to keep insurance companies from canceling policies???? Son, that would be statist, just what you like.

Forum List

Back