GOP wants to raise your taxes

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
Surprise! The GOP, the party that has stood adamantly against tax hikes, wants to raise your taxes. Don't worry, rich people, they're not talking about your taxes, they're talking about ending President Obama's temporary payroll tax breaks. In the article, there is also a great little paragraph where a GOP Rep admits that tax cuts add to the deficit. Say what? That's right, folks. So, I guess he'll be jumping at a chance to reduce the deficit by ending the Bush tax cuts, right?

WASHINGTON (AP) - News flash: Congressional Republicans want to raise your taxes.

Impossible, right? GOP lawmakers are so virulently anti-tax, surely they will fight to prevent a payroll tax increase on virtually every wage-earner starting Jan. 1, right?

Apparently not.

Many of the same Republicans who fought hammer-and-tong to keep the George W. Bush-era income tax cuts from expiring on schedule are now saying a different "temporary" tax cut should end as planned. By their own definition, that amounts to a tax increase.

The tax break extension they oppose is sought by President Barack Obama. Unlike proposed changes in the income tax, this policy helps the 46 percent of all Americans who owe no federal income taxes but who pay a "payroll tax" on practically every dime they earn.

There are other differences as well, and Republicans say their stand is consistent with their goal of long-term tax policies that will spur employment and lend greater certainty to the economy.

"It's always a net positive to let taxpayers keep more of what they earn," says Rep. Jeb Hensarling, "but not all tax relief is created equal for the purposes of helping to get the economy moving again." The Texas lawmaker is on the House GOP leadership team.

The debate is likely to boil up in coming weeks as a special bipartisan committee seeks big deficit reductions and weighs which tax cuts are sacrosanct.

At issue is a tax that the vast majority of workers pay, but many don't recognize because they don't read, or don't understand their pay stubs. Workers normally pay 6.2 percent of their wages toward a tax designated for Social Security. Their employer pays an equal amount, for a total of 12.4 percent per worker.

As part of a bipartisan spending deal last December, Congress approved Obama's request to reduce the workers' share to 4.2 percent for one year; employers' rate did not change. Obama wants Congress to extend the reduction for an additional year. If not, the rate will return to 6.2 percent on Jan. 1.

The 12-month tax reduction will cost the government about $120 billion this year, and a similar amount next year if it's renewed.

That worries Rep. David Camp, R-Mich., chairman of the tax-writing Ways and Means Committee, and a member of the House-Senate supercommittee tasked with finding new deficit cuts. Tax reductions, "no matter how well-intended," will push the deficit higher, making the panel's task that much harder, Camp's office said.

But Republican lawmakers haven't always worried about tax cuts increasing the deficit. They led the fight to extend the life of a much bigger tax break: the major 2001 income tax reduction enacted under Bush. It was scheduled to expire at the start of this year. Obama campaigned on a pledge to end the tax break only for the richest Americans, but solid GOP opposition forced him to back down.

Many Republicans are adamant about not raising taxes but largely silent on what it would mean to let the payroll tax break expire.

Republicans cite key differences between the two "temporary" taxes, starting with the fact that the Bush measure had a 10-year life from the start. To stimulate job growth, these lawmakers say, it's better to reduce income tax rates for people and for companies than to extend the payroll tax break.

GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

• Banned
Wow...Somebody slower than Truthdontmatter.

:lol::lol::lol:

If you want to laugh, look in the mirror. If you want to try and explain to me how this is not hypocrisy on the part of the GOP, be my guest.

They pay no taxes, so the Government sends them money instead. Sweet. Now they're upset when somebody suggests stopping giving them something they've never earned.
You'll be able to recognize them in September during Van Jones and Stephen Lerners's days of Rage rally in NYC. They'll be the ones throwing the molotov cocktails and burning the overturned cars like their British cousins.

They pay no taxes, so the Government sends them money instead. Sweet. Now they're upset when somebody suggests stopping giving them something they've never earned.
You'll be able to recognize them in September during Van Jones and Stephen Lerners's days of Rage rally in NYC. They'll be the ones throwing the molotov cocktails and burning the overturned cars like their British cousins.

Do you even know what you're talking about?

Read the article again and try not to simply spew Fox Noise talking points.

In all fairness, this is WHY SS was the tax that was cut, there will not be a return for those who don't pay - and EVERYONE (except government employees) pay it.

Obama is right on this one, the cuts need to stay in effect.

In all fairness, this is WHY SS was the tax that was cut, there will not be a return for those who don't pay - and EVERYONE (except government employees) pay it.

Obama is right on this one, the cuts need to stay in effect.

Wow, I agree with you on something. Good point.

If you want to laugh, look in the mirror. If you want to try and explain to me how this is not hypocrisy on the part of the GOP, be my guest.

Perhaps you'd explain why your too fucking stupid to search the board before starting a thread, so that you'd know there were 5 other threads on the same subject... all well before your thread.

It's your party that talks about people paying their Fair Share. If you are going to keep lying and claim the Rich do not pay their Fair Share when the in fact pay 90% of all Federal Income Taxes (not FICA and MC) then don't be surprised if people call you on your bullshit and point out that 51% of Americans, according to the IRS, last year paid 0 Federal Incomes taxes.

It's your party that talks about people paying their Fair Share. If you are going to keep lying and claim the Rich do not pay their Fair Share when the in fact pay 90% of all Federal Income Taxes (not FICA and MC) then don't be surprised if people call you on your bullshit and point out that 51% of Americans, according to the IRS, last year paid 0 Federal Incomes taxes.

So ... by that logic, since a millionaire pays only a small fraction for FICA, far less than the working poor, would you agree payroll taxes need to be raised on the wealthy?

Perhaps you'd explain why your too fucking stupid to search the board before starting a thread, so that you'd know there were 5 other threads on the same subject... all well before your thread.

Perhaps you can go fuck yourself, cock-itch.

So ... by that logic, since a millionaire pays only a small fraction for FICA, far less than the working poor, would you agree payroll taxes need to be raised on the wealthy?

By your logic, since Obama dissects little girls while they're still alive while having sex with underage boys, would you agree to extending the tax cuts permanently?

(Hey, if outright and absurd lies make for solid debate, I thought I'd join in the fun!)

Forum List

Back