Golf: Proposed "Thee-Fitty Rule"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DGS49, Jul 3, 2017.

1. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,587
    I have a new (2017) Taylor Made driver, Ping irons (2016), Cleveland 45 and 60 degree wedges, and 3 wood (which I don't use often). Orlimar 2 - ball putter.

Parenthetically, I don't think there are any rules on who can or should use the "senior" or forward tees, which leads to some odd situations. I subbed in a Senior league earlier this year, where one guy who was hitting 250-260 consistently off the tees was using the forward tees, along with everyone else. League rule. My brother - 78 years old - can't use the forward tees in his league because they have a couple guys in their 70 s who hit the ball 250, so nobody moves up.

Then when you bite the bullet and move up, you always have a couple holes where the advantage seems extreme, and you are embarrassed to use them (sometimes the fwd tee will be 100 yards up, to take a water hazard out of play).

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. blastoff

blastoff Undocumented Reg. User

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,622
    Thank God!

I thought I was the only idiot trying to combine golfing and boating and not go either broke or crazy or both as a result.

3. sakinago

sakinago Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Hahaha right? It's a tough choice on a beautiful day, but the boat is more money so I go with that

4. blastoff

blastoff Undocumented Reg. User

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,622
    Well, you're right about that. However, where we slip our boat there's a nice public course about twenty minutes from the marina. We generally spend summer weekends on it and usually have an invited couple onboard, almost always golfers too, so the sticks are always in the trunk and we tee off early mornings for at least nine holes and then have the rest of the day for boating mischief. Guess I'm a glutton for fiscal irresponsibility, but if I can manage to win 2-3 bucks on the course it seems to lessen the weekend's monetary blow a bit.

5. longknife

longknife Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,429
    Par is a determination made by professionals that is a goal set for all golfers. It does not take into account age or agility.

Why is Par so important to you? Look at the game as if you are setting your own Par. If it's a Par 3 over 200 yards, consider it a Par 4. A Par 5 over 500+ is a 6.

Simple.

(I used to be a scratch golfer too 30+ years ago)

6. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,587
    The different tees are an attempt by the golf gods to make it possible for every golfer to succeed on every hole, without divine intervention (e.g., making a 60 foot putt). But for most adult golfers over 50, those 410 yard par 4 ' s are not realistic candidates for pars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. sakinago

sakinago Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    No this is bullshit, I'm telling you it's the transfer of weight. If you do this correctly it shouldn't matter how old you are, the only thing that matters is how well you transfer your fat ass from one leg to the other. It's a simple concept that you should be able to do long into your golden years. I know people who can barely walk, but can still our drive me...sometimes. All the matters is the transfer of weight.