Golf: Proposed "Thee-Fitty Rule"

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I am a reasonably-fit 67-year-old man, and have been golfing since I was about 50. A recent deterioration in my driving distance leaves me with a typical driving distance of about 200 yards, and an occasional 215 drive - I know not why.

So I, like many, many other "Boomers" am, in golfing jargon, "between tees." I hit too long for the forward tees but not really long enough for the longer par 4's from the "Men's" (usually white) tees. Specifically, when encountering a 400-yard par 4, I cannot reach the green in two strokes, and my only hope of a par is a one-putt green.

Golf is supposed to be fun, right? And none of us are professionals, right? So what's the fun of playing a hole where there is only a minimal chance of getting a par, even if you hit all good shots?

My proposal is this: for people like me, when we encounter...

• A par three of over 200 yards, or
  • A par 4 of over 350 yards, or
  • A par 5 of over 500 yards,

We move to the forward tees. In deference to the mass culture, I refer to this as the "Thee Fitty" rule.

This is a general rule, and there could be exceptions. For example, on "water holes," where the tee shot is hit over a pond or a small lake, the forward tees are usually situated so that the water is taken out of play, by putting the tee either in front of the water or off to the side. On such holes, hitting over the water is part of the legitimate challenge of the hole, and the golfer - even under Thee Fitty - should play from behind the water.

Obviously, this is a casual rule, to be used only among friends. It would really screw up an accurate calculation of handicap, and an assessment of slope rating, and all that. But I think it would be a good addition for groups that often play together, small informal leagues, and especially golf outings, where a lot of non-regular golfers come out for a day of "fun."

The Thee Fitty rule should make it possible for pre-Senior golfers to have fun, by making it realistically possible to get a par on basically every hole.

I have spoken.

Here is another answer:

Swing harder, you get it through

upload_2017-7-3_8-30-50.jpeg

Just found a Par 3 course where the longest hole is about 220 yards and never have to worry about that other stuff and just have fun!

I used to be a scratch golfer back in my late 20's and then had to quit playing when I messed up my back in a car accident. It sucks I know.

Swinging "harder" does not result in the ball going any farther, and the loss of accuracy more than defeats any benefit that might otherwise be derived.

I am a reasonably-fit 67-year-old man, and have been golfing since I was about 50. A recent deterioration in my driving distance leaves me with a typical driving distance of about 200 yards, and an occasional 215 drive - I know not why.

So I, like many, many other "Boomers" am, in golfing jargon, "between tees." I hit too long for the forward tees but not really long enough for the longer par 4's from the "Men's" (usually white) tees. Specifically, when encountering a 400-yard par 4, I cannot reach the green in two strokes, and my only hope of a par is a one-putt green.

Golf is supposed to be fun, right? And none of us are professionals, right? So what's the fun of playing a hole where there is only a minimal chance of getting a par, even if you hit all good shots?

We move to the forward tees. In deference to the mass culture, I refer to this as the "Thee Fitty" rule.

This is a general rule, and there could be exceptions. For example, on "water holes," where the tee shot is hit over a pond or a small lake, the forward tees are usually situated so that the water is taken out of play, by putting the tee either in front of the water or off to the side. On such holes, hitting over the water is part of the legitimate challenge of the hole, and the golfer - even under Thee Fitty - should play from behind the water.

Obviously, this is a casual rule, to be used only among friends. It would really screw up an accurate calculation of handicap, and an assessment of slope rating, and all that. But I think it would be a good addition for groups that often play together, small informal leagues, and especially golf outings, where a lot of non-regular golfers come out for a day of "fun."

The Thee Fitty rule should make it possible for pre-Senior golfers to have fun, by making it realistically possible to get a par on basically every hole.

I have spoken.

Have you lost mobility in your hips? That's what it sounds like to me. You're not shifting your weight effectively. That's where at least 80% of the power is coming from, much more so than arms or club speed. Same as in baseball, you could maybe only be able to bench 90 lbs, but as long as you have a good stride (transfer of weight) you can still hit homers.

Swinging "harder" does not result in the ball going any farther, and the loss of accuracy more than defeats any benefit that might otherwise be derived.
Simple physics telly you that to hit the ball further you have to swing harder, faster, all things being equal, like using the same club. Swinging harder doesn't mean loss of accuracy. Trying to guide the ball causes more inaccuracy then does swing hard.

Simple physics telly you that to hit the ball further you have to swing harder, faster, all things being equal, like using the same club. Swinging harder doesn't mean loss of accuracy. Trying to guide the ball causes more inaccuracy then does swing hard.

You can swing as hard as you want, if your not transferring weight and opening your hips...the ball is not gonna go very far. You could swing full strength and hit right on the sweet spot every time, you will still get farther with a slower steadier swing if your transferring weight properly. What physics actually tells us is force=MASS x acceleration. Important factor there being mass. Not much weight to your arms alone, a lot more weight when you're using the rest of your body, and then you don't need as much acceleration to create force, so you can concentrate on following through and hitting a nice balanced swing. Vs trying to swing harder and not following through enough or throwing yourself off balance, which is what usually happens.

Also make sure you're hitting the ball on a 45 degree angle with your driver (on a non windy day of course). Maximum trajectory outcome. If you're not, check with your tee height, grip, stance, etc. I am no scratch golfer, but I do have good long game, but usually fuck up with a short chip, or awful putting. And now that I have a boat, I'm usually spending my free time there instead of working on my short game.

No matter how smart or talented or flexible you are, you are going to lose distance with age.

Final rule assumes good, accurate drive is max 200, accurate fairway shot is max 175.

If the hole is a par 5, over 550 yards, or

If the hole is a par 4, over 375 yards, or

If the hole is a par 3, over 200 yards,

Move to the forward tees, if doing so will bring the yardage within those guidelines.

Golf is supposed to be fun, and a challenge, not an exercise in futility. A par should be feasible for every golfer on every hole.

I have spoken.

I have spoken.

Go ahead and hit from the lady's tee box.
With todays rules on gender you can you be a lady at tee time and be a man at the clubhouse after you play your eighteen.

I have a new (2017) Taylor Made driver, Ping irons (2016), Cleveland 45 and 60 degree wedges, and 3 wood (which I don't use often). Orlimar 2 - ball putter.

Parenthetically, I don't think there are any rules on who can or should use the "senior" or forward tees, which leads to some odd situations. I subbed in a Senior league earlier this year, where one guy who was hitting 250-260 consistently off the tees was using the forward tees, along with everyone else. League rule. My brother - 78 years old - can't use the forward tees in his league because they have a couple guys in their 70 s who hit the ball 250, so nobody moves up.

Then when you bite the bullet and move up, you always have a couple holes where the advantage seems extreme, and you are embarrassed to use them (sometimes the fwd tee will be 100 yards up, to take a water hazard out of play).

You can swing as hard as you want, if your not transferring weight and opening your hips...the ball is not gonna go very far. You could swing full strength and hit right on the sweet spot every time, you will still get farther with a slower steadier swing if your transferring weight properly. What physics actually tells us is force=MASS x acceleration. Important factor there being mass. Not much weight to your arms alone, a lot more weight when you're using the rest of your body, and then you don't need as much acceleration to create force, so you can concentrate on following through and hitting a nice balanced swing. Vs trying to swing harder and not following through enough or throwing yourself off balance, which is what usually happens.

Also make sure you're hitting the ball on a 45 degree angle with your driver (on a non windy day of course). Maximum trajectory outcome. If you're not, check with your tee height, grip, stance, etc. I am no scratch golfer, but I do have good long game, but usually fuck up with a short chip, or awful putting. And now that I have a boat, I'm usually spending my free time there instead of working on my short game.
Thank God!

I thought I was the only idiot trying to combine golfing and boating and not go either broke or crazy or both as a result.

Thank God!

I thought I was the only idiot trying to combine golfing and boating and not go either broke or crazy or both as a result.
Hahaha right? It's a tough choice on a beautiful day, but the boat is more money so I go with that

Thank God!

Hahaha right? It's a tough choice on a beautiful day, but the boat is more money so I go with that
Well, you're right about that. However, where we slip our boat there's a nice public course about twenty minutes from the marina. We generally spend summer weekends on it and usually have an invited couple onboard, almost always golfers too, so the sticks are always in the trunk and we tee off early mornings for at least nine holes and then have the rest of the day for boating mischief. Guess I'm a glutton for fiscal irresponsibility, but if I can manage to win 2-3 bucks on the course it seems to lessen the weekend's monetary blow a bit.

Par is a determination made by professionals that is a goal set for all golfers. It does not take into account age or agility.

Why is Par so important to you? Look at the game as if you are setting your own Par. If it's a Par 3 over 200 yards, consider it a Par 4. A Par 5 over 500+ is a 6.

Simple.

(I used to be a scratch golfer too 30+ years ago)

The different tees are an attempt by the golf gods to make it possible for every golfer to succeed on every hole, without divine intervention (e.g., making a 60 foot putt). But for most adult golfers over 50, those 410 yard par 4 ' s are not realistic candidates for pars.

The different tees are an attempt by the golf gods to make it possible for every golfer to succeed on every hole, without divine intervention (e.g., making a 60 foot putt). But for most adult golfers over 50, those 410 yard par 4 ' s are not realistic candidates for pars.
No this is bullshit, I'm telling you it's the transfer of weight. If you do this correctly it shouldn't matter how old you are, the only thing that matters is how well you transfer your fat ass from one leg to the other. It's a simple concept that you should be able to do long into your golden years. I know people who can barely walk, but can still our drive me...sometimes. All the matters is the transfer of weight.

Forum List

Back