Goat Species (Chamois) that's Cheetah Fast

I worked herding goats in Atlanta for a few years. Goats are fast and smart. Plus they can climb almost anything.

It depends on the type of goat.

These goats a great climbers....

These goats, not so much.

But I'm sure they can go downhill at nearly terminal velocity.

Fainting goats have a genetic neurological disorder that makes their muscles freeze up if they are shocked or startled. They are absolutely hilarious. But not great at running.

I was sent the pic of the goats in the tree by probably 20 or 30 of my friends when I was goat herding. Always basically the same comment. "Hey, you can go to Africa and see goats in trees!" I hate to disappoint them, but at the time I could go to Buckhead or Marietta and see the same thing. And the goats knew me.

The fainting goats are hilarious!!!
They'd be easy pickings in the wild.
Perhaps it's just an evolution thing. Like the goats are playing 'possum.

For instance, one night my dog went chasing an opossum. Of course the opossum has practically no chance in hell of outrunning a big German Shepherd dog, so she just played dead. And instead of chomping down on the opossum and the baby opossums clinging to her back, he just sniffed them for a few moments and lost interest, then went back to playing with his bowling ball in the driveway.

Perhaps it's just an evolution thing. Like the goats are playing 'possum.

For instance, one night my dog went chasing an opossum. Of course the opossum has practically no chance in hell of outrunning a big German Shepherd dog, so she just played dead. And instead of chomping down on the opossum and the baby opossums clinging to her back, he just sniffed them for a few moments and lost interest, then went back to playing with his bowling ball in the driveway.

My dogs have done the same with an opossum.
The dog ran by with one in his mouth already and I told him to drop it,which he did.
The Wife thought for sure the dogs killed it. Told Her nah it's just playing possum,she didnt believe me so she went outside and sure enough it was gone.
But on the other side of that coin I've found more than one possum in the back yard the dogs had eaten,one had nothing left but the spine,head and three legs.
Dont know for sure but I'd bet that fainting goats came from breeding and wouldnt happen in nature.
And the goats aren't playing possum really,they're fainting,unlike a possum who does it on purpose.

My dogs have done the same with an opossum.
The dog ran by with one in his mouth already and I told him to drop it,which he did.
The Wife thought for sure the dogs killed it. Told Her nah it's just playing possum,she didnt believe me so she went outside and sure enough it was gone.
But on the other side of that coin I've found more than one possum in the back yard the dogs had eaten,one had nothing left but the spine,head and three legs.
Dont know for sure but I'd bet that fainting goats came from breeding and wouldnt happen in nature.
And the goats aren't playing possum really,they're fainting,unlike a possum who does it on purpose.

Our dog, Roscoe, is a pit/german shorthaired pointer mix, treat our back yard like a safari every day. We have lots of ivy, but he has still managed to kill half a dozen chipmunks, a squirrel and a possum. I think we have finally convinced him not to bring them in the house. We have a pet door, so he could surprise us. You know, like "Is that a possum on the dog bed under the big window?". He hasn't eaten any of them, but he has left a couple of chipmunk barely alive. I had to dispatch them for him. So much for pitbulls being killers. lol

Our dog, Roscoe, is a pit/german shorthaired pointer mix, treat our back yard like a safari every day. We have lots of ivy, but he has still managed to kill half a dozen chipmunks, a squirrel and a possum. I think we have finally convinced him not to bring them in the house. We have a pet door, so he could surprise us. You know, like "Is that a possum on the dog bed under the big window?". He hasn't eaten any of them, but he has left a couple of chipmunk barely alive. I had to dispatch them for him. So much for pitbulls being killers. lol

Had a Boxer named Jack Dempsey who was a hunter from hell!!
Nothing in the neighborhood was safe,cats, possum,rats,rabbits it was all fair game to him.
When we bought our first river place on the S. Llano he'd swim across the river and bring home goats.
I paid for several of them before I could get him to stop. Would have loved to see how he dragged the goats across the river.

Had a Boxer named Jack Dempsey who was a hunter from hell!!
Nothing in the neighborhood was safe,cats, possum,rats,rabbits it was all fair game to him.
When we bought our first river place on the S. Llano he'd swim across the river and bring home goats.
I paid for several of them before I could get him to stop. Would have loved to see how he dragged the goats across the river.

We had a minipin that was a killer. Never had to worry about the animal surviving. Tough little wench! Only thing she was scared of was goats. I had about 8 of them in my back yard when some new babies were born (nothing cuter!). Ruby walked up to the fence and was sniffing at one of the babies. The mother, a big goat, and just stood over her baby and stared at Ruby. Ruby averted her eyes and kind of snuck back in the house. lol

Forum List

Back