Global Culture War Pits Protectionists Against Free Traders

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by onedomino, Feb 6, 2005.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    -

2. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I know local stations are forced to air a certain amount of national content that would probably not be picked up otherwise. I was also under the impression that the Canadian industry was growing rapidly despite massive fed gov cut backs, not shrinking. !

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I have to go along with the US position on this. Face it, if your 'culture and traditions' are worth keeping, they will be kept by the people. That doesn't mean that other cultures cannot be assimilated to enrich the whole.

I guess it's easier for Americans, we've always had such an influx of peoples, that it has 'always' been there. The fact that I understand and appreciate foods and holidays from other cultures, does nothing to reduce what I know and appreciate from my Irish heritage or 'Americanism.' (yea, I know that ism isn't a word.)

Seems to me only a stagnant country would be afraid of other cultures. Considering what is going on in the world, to throw a sheet over your national head, just doesn't seem very smart.