Global Cooling

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by ScreamingEagle, Sep 6, 2007.

1. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    A Mini Ice Age to Start about 10-20 years from now:

2. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Not that I'm a proponent of the man made global warming theory but that wasn't very convincing. I'm not sure how many times this needs to be pointed out, but let's give it another go. CLIMATE AND WEATHER ARE NOT THE SAME THING. The author is using a weather phenomena (early snowfalls) to support the theory of climate change. He's using a meteoroligcal event to predict a climatological event. One could as easily make the argument that early snowfall is evidence of an overall warming trend. Why? Because as the temp rises weather conditions become more sporadic and severe.

I also happen to believe in the natural cycles of heating and cooling theories, but apparently this guy hasn't done much research. Right now we are in a natural warming trend and will be for the next 400 years or so.

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,931
    You are aware that the temperature only changed 1 degree over the last 100 years? A very normal change? As for weather and climate, the enviro whackos do the exact same thing. As I recall Katrina was proof of global warming, even though there has been no repeat of the claimed increased hurricanes and intensity of same.

Kettle and pot, sound familiar?

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    And the melting of the polar ice caps is just a coincidence, I'm sure.

I still haven't figured out why the right is so vested in trying to believe that man doesn't CONTRIBUTE (note, I didn't say cause, I said "contribute") to climate change. Seems to me we should just realistically take steps to lighten our footprint. *shrug*

One would think you guys would like the idea of getting off of foreign oil, at least, since then we wouldn't be putting money into the coffers of the Saudis who then use it to fund the very people we're supposed to be "fighting over there".

5. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,931
    The "right" has no problem saying man may contribute to a warming of the planet. I have no problem saying it. I DO have a problem with the eco nut jobs that claim we are the main cause and that we can fix something they can not even prove is happening. Once again, a one degree raise in temperature over 100 years is normal. And there is absolutely no credible way to know what will happen in 10 years much less 100. The doomsday crap the eco nuts post preach and chant destroys any dialogue or any potential for discussion.

They are opposed to Nuclear energy, which is safe and which is renewable and which does not contribute to what they claim is causing global warming. They want 1st world nations to commit economic suicide while giving a pass to the 3rd world countries that will be the biggest polluters.They play games, by claiming electric cars are a solution they ignore the reality that the vast majority of electricity is made from coal and oil. They claim we can produce fuel from food, when we need the food we have to feed our populations and the increasing population.

You can't seem to grasp the concept that WE, the 1st world Nations ARE reducing our foot print and have been since the 60's. It continues today in every developed nation. Everyone is working on finding less pollution producing sources of energy and ways to use fossil fuels in a less pollution manner. The danger is NOT us, it is the emerging nations that will use the old processes because they are cheaper and easier to build, maintain and use.

6. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Actually there is. Not over 10 years, but longer periods there are. Past behavior is the best predicter of future behavior. And according to past cycles, unless something truly miraculous happens, whether mand made or not it is going to keep getting warmer.

7. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    An ice age?? RAFLAMO! Do you ever read anything that isn't written by a rabid right-winger (I checked out your "sources") ... nah, don't answer that

From AOL today...

8. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    I think you're missing the point just a little, well my point anyway. I don't know too many people who don't beleive the Earth is getting warmer. It is and will continue to.

What is required I beleive is a healthy dose of perspective and ask some really different questions based on what we know. We know, for a fact, that the Earth is getting warmer. We know, for a fact, that the Earth's climate fluctuates in cycles, cycles that are anywhere from a few hundred to a thousand or more years long. The question is, is if this has happened before in human history why are we so worried about it now? Basically why is our perspective of this issue what it is? Couple answers off the top of my head would be we didn't have the ability to grasp what was happening 300 years ago. Our perspective also has a lot to do with our culture. If there is one thing that defines U.S. culture it is that we are now an instant gratification society. That culture has come into being within this half cycle or so of climate change. That culture has caused many to adopt the mentality that anything that deviates from what we perceive as normal (i.e. gosh it seems hotter this summer than when I was kid (simplified but hop you get the point)) is thought of as bad or unnatural.

No single species on this planet has been around forever. hundred of thousands maybe millions of different forms of plant or animal life have come and gone throughout the course of Earth's history. But in human history very few, realitvely speaking, have.

The point is you have to acknowledge and maybe even resarch as a possibilty that this was gonna happen anyway. That even if there was no human emitted CO2 the ice caps may still melt and polar bears may still become extinct.

9. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    What I acknowledge is that there are natural cycles. What you have to acknowledge is that the abuse we have heaped on our planet has accelerated and exacerbated those cycles.

My idea... act responsibly. That does not mean being extrene and moving into a geodome. It does mean that we need to explore alternative energies and wean ourselves from fossil fuels.

10. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Again the point is what do we know. And the latter half of that statement we don't know. We don't know to what extent, if any, what we're doing is causing the temperature to rise. I encourage you not to 'heap' overall polluting into the climate change debate. They are relatively seperate issues. One could even argue that in terms of preservation of the human a little extra heat isn't a bad thing. Again perspective, cause it isn't global warming that's a gonna kill a lot of people. It's global cooling.

Of course, but you got guys like Gore and DiCaprio out in left field proclaiming the sky is falling when it isn't. And as was alluded to earlier the real problem of adding to the problem 20 years from now isn't go to be the U.S. or many other 1st world countries. We're already on the downslope in terms of makeing things better for the environment than they were. If Gore and his ilk want to scare people into change, he should be lecturing in the countries that are starting to become more heavily industrialized