Glengary Glen Ross (1992)

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
The first thing you will notice is nearly every character in the movie is a major star.
Pacino, Baldwin, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris, Spacey....
This movie reminds me of 12 Angry Men... a lot. Not as good, but nevertheless well done.
The entire movie only has 8 speaking characters.
The story centers around 4 salesman working for a company that sells real estate in Florida to would be investors.
They are all crooks, who have to lie, cheat and steal if necessary to get suckers to sign on the dotted line.
All are under great stress to meet quotas, given trash for leads as they climb over each other to get to the suckers.

I will add this to the long list. Much like the Wolf of Wall Street, huh?
Not really.
Wolf is about the "art of the steal" and living this unbelievable grand lifestyle.
Glengary is about the seedy. The low life loser wannabes who would ripoff their own mother if they could.
The stress, the fighting the shit they wade through everyday to get that signature on the dotted line to get a measly commission so they can scratch by.

The first thing you will notice is nearly every character in the movie is a major star.
This movie reminds me of 12 Angry Men... a lot. Not as good, but nevertheless well done.
The story centers around 4 salesman working for a company that sells real estate in Florida to would be investors.
They are all crooks, who have to lie, cheat and steal if necessary to get suckers to sign on the dotted line.
All are under great stress to meet quotas, given trash for leads as they climb over each other to get to the suckers.

Thank you...the wife and I are always looking for dialogue intensive movies.

Not really.
Wolf is about the "art of the steal" and living this unbelievable grand lifestyle.
Glengary is about the seedy. The low life loser wannabes who would ripoff their own mother if they could.
The stress, the fighting the shit they wade through everyday to get that signature on the dotted line to get a measly commission so they can scratch by.
Sounds good. No inbreeding right? Even better.

As a former telemarketer I loved Alec Baldwin's short scene. Another great movie is Boiler Room. Both show how dirty the business can be.

Required viewing for all sales people, IMO.

Required viewing for all sales people, IMO.
There are two types of salespeople.
1) The ones that get into sales because they don't want to work. Lazy.
2) The ones that get into sales because they realize they can control their paycheck, the only ones in the whole business that can double and triple what others make.

There are two types of salespeople.
1) The ones that get into sales because they don't want to work. Lazy.
2) The ones that get into sales because they realize they can control their paycheck, the only ones in the whole business that can double and triple what others make.
Most of the time the lazy ones don't last. The ones that do go into management.

Movie was boring as fuck. I don't get what the 'leads' are any way. Why so important. The Baldwin speech was great. Plus he didn't kill anybody either.

Movie was boring as fuck. I don't get what the 'leads' are any way. Why so important. The Baldwin speech was great. Plus he didn't kill anybody either.
Leads are expensive. Really expensive.
If you are selling something high priced, well into the 5 figures... you need to know who has that kind of liquid assets.
There are lead companies out there that pour through data and produce names. Companies will pay a high price for those names, and they better produce or that leads company will go out of business in no time. You can even successfully sue leads companies if the data is bad.
In some businesses without leads a salesperson is left cold calling, which is tricky since "no call" list have been in force for over a decade.

Leads are expensive. Really expensive.
If you are selling something high priced, well into the 5 figures... you need to know who has that kind of liquid assets.
There are lead companies out there that pour through data and produce names. Companies will pay a high price for those names, and they better produce or that leads company will go out of business in no time. You can even successfully sue leads companies if the data is bad.
In some businesses without leads a salesperson is left cold calling, which is tricky since "no call" list have been in force for over a decade.
So you are just annoying people with more money?

Pretty much yes.
That is precisely why people with a lot of money want to live in gated communities.
It's not really much hassle for the people with money. Just tell them to fuck off. I don't get why its so valuable to the sales people.

Forum List

Back