Giving Up Coffee.....and ObamaCare

What if buying a cup of coffee was regulated by government in the same way they regulate healthcare insurance?

I can't afford Obamacare.....so I'm gonna have another cup of coffee.

Instant Human: just add coffee.

upload_2017-3-19_13-30-15.png

Back in 1970s, the United States looked a lot like other countries when it came to health care spending. In 1980, we spent $1,110 per person on health care, which worked out to about 9.2 percent of Gross Domestic Product. But in the 1980s, health-care costs in the United States began growing much faster than in other countries, rising to $8,402 per person in 2010. That amounts to a total of $2.54 billion spent on health care, or 17.9 percent of our total economy. Source: Kaiser Family Foundation

What if buying a cup of coffee was regulated by government in the same way they regulate healthcare insurance?

View attachment 117474

Back in 1970s, the United States looked a lot like other countries when it came to health care spending. In 1980, we spent $1,110 per person on health care, which worked out to about 9.2 percent of Gross Domestic Product. But in the 1980s, health-care costs in the United States began growing much faster than in other countries, rising to $8,402 per person in 2010. That amounts to a total of $2.54 billion spent on health care, or 17.9 percent of our total economy. Source: Kaiser Family Foundation

That seems fairly accurate from other data sources I've seen. The charts end about the time ACA passed. After six years of the "Affordable" Care Act in effect, the rise in health care costs accelerated to well over 10 thousand per person! That's the problem. ACA has created an unsustainable model. That is why it has to go, otherwise healthcare expenditures will be 50% of our total economy.

$10,345 per person: U.S. health care spending reaches new peak

View attachment 117474

This was the situation prior to BolshevikCare...

How to judge healthcare:

a) life expectancy: many people die for reasons that can’t be controlled the medical profession, such as auto accidents, murder, etc., and once you factor out care crashes and homicides, the US ranks number one in worldwide life expectancy!

“One often-heard argument, voiced by the New York Times' Paul Krugman and others, is that America lags behind other countries in crude health outcomes. But such outcomes reflect a mosaic of factors, such as diet, lifestyle, drug use and cultural values. It pains me as a doctor to say this, but health care is just one factor in health.

In The Business of Health, Robert Ohsfeldt and John Schneider factor out intentional and unintentional injuries from life-expectancy statistics and find that Americans who don't die in car crashes or homicides outlive people in any other Western country.

And if we measure a health care system by how well it serves its sick citizens, American medicine excels.
http://www.davepetno.com/blog/index.php?itemid=30

b) " The standardized estimate of life expectancy at birth is the mean of the predicted value for each country over the period 1980–99. As shown in table 1-5, the raw (not standardized) mean life expectancy at birth for the United States over this period was 75.3 years, compared to 78.7 years for Japan, 78.0 years for Iceland, and 77.7 years for Sweden. However, after accounting for the unusually high fatal-injury rates in the United States, the estimate of standardized life expectancy at birth is 76.9 years, which is higher than the estimates for any other OECD country." http://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/-the-business-of-health_110115929760.pdf

View attachment 117474

How to judge healthcare:

a) life expectancy: many people die for reasons that can’t be controlled the medical profession, such as auto accidents, murder, etc., and once you factor out care crashes and homicides, the US ranks number one in worldwide life expectancy!

“One often-heard argument, voiced by the New York Times' Paul Krugman and others, is that America lags behind other countries in crude health outcomes. But such outcomes reflect a mosaic of factors, such as diet, lifestyle, drug use and cultural values. It pains me as a doctor to say this, but health care is just one factor in health.

In The Business of Health, Robert Ohsfeldt and John Schneider factor out intentional and unintentional injuries from life-expectancy statistics and find that Americans who don't die in car crashes or homicides outlive people in any other Western country.

And if we measure a health care system by how well it serves its sick citizens, American medicine excels.

b) " The standardized estimate of life expectancy at birth is the mean of the predicted value for each country over the period 1980–99. As shown in table 1-5, the raw (not standardized) mean life expectancy at birth for the United States over this period was 75.3 years, compared to 78.7 years for Japan, 78.0 years for Iceland, and 77.7 years for Sweden. However, after accounting for the unusually high fatal-injury rates in the United States, the estimate of standardized life expectancy at birth is 76.9 years, which is higher than the estimates for any other OECD country." http://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/-the-business-of-health_110115929760.pdf

There is plenty of real research out there on this, folks are free to do their own research or stick their heads on the sand like you do.

View attachment 117474

How to judge healthcare:

There is plenty of real research out there on this, folks are free to do their own research or stick their heads on the sand like you do.

I just provided facts....you, simply the hot air you're infamous for....

Sooooo.....you're stock in trade is hot air and sand?????

And don't forget....Next time you shave try standing an inch or two closer to the razor.

View attachment 117474

How to judge healthcare:

And don't forget....Next time you shave try standing an inch or two closer to the razor.

You're a real intellectual love.

View attachment 117474

How to judge healthcare:

So sorry, honesty prevents me from returning the sentiment.

View attachment 117474

How to judge healthcare:

You can always do so in jest as I did.

How to judge healthcare:

Based on the creativity evident in your posts, you should concentrate on your full-time job, as Garden Gnome.

Based on the creativity evident in your posts, you should concentrate on your full-time job, as Garden Gnome.
Have a nice day hon, you're never here for anything but screed.

One of the biggest reasons why HC costs have risen so dramatically and continue to do is the increase in gov't programs that created new entitlements and increased spending. First you had the creation of Medicare and Medicaid, which is essentially gov't subsidized HCI. Which resulted in more people going to do the doctor. Increased demand + no increase in supply equals only one thing: higher costs.

People started going to the ER a lot more, which is a lot more expensive than going to a primary care physician. Congress passed Medicare Part D to cover prescription drugs in 2003, and costs went up again. More benefits = higher HC costs, nothing surprising here.

The other thing that should be said is the rise in preventable health issues. Things like heart disease, strokes, and cancer can be prevented or postponed and treated cheaply if caught in time; smoking, drinking, drug abuse, poor nutrition and obesity are all risk factors that lead to expensive health conditions.

You have to ask yourself a question: does the increase in gov't HC and other social programs over the past 50 years or so enable many people to eschew healthier lifestyle choices cuz they know the gov't will cover their HC costs down the road? For some, the gov't social safety net allows for a subsistence that isn't much above the poverty level but allows for a life free of responsibility. So why exercise, why give up smoking and drinking and drugs, where's the incentive to do so? And so we end up with a number of people who aren't taking good care of their own health, and now that chicken is coming home to roost in the form of higher medical costs.

If you give people free stuff they'll take it. And once they get it they won't want to give it up, hence the huge problem the GOP has right now with repealing Obamacare and passing something else. It's hard to see anything that they might pass these days as really fixing the problem; it might be better than the ACA, not hard to do that but we're going to have to deal with the underlying isues associated with the rise in HC costs in ways that actually work. Which I think will probably require a bipartisan approach, something I don't think we'll see anytime soon.

If I was Trump I'd tell the American people that whatever comes out of Congress in the way of repeal and replace is meant to be a temporary fix to a very large and complex problem, and that we need to have an independent and bipartisan commission to look at the entire HC situation and develop policies to deal with all of it. And then I'd tell Congress to take those recommendations and vote on them without debate, delay, or changes, no matter what it says. And if they don't do it I'd make sure everybody knew who voted against it and work to get them voted outof office. Future Congresses can always amend it, as they surely will. But right now the ACA totally sucks, as did the HC system before the ACA was passed, and the GOP edition of HC reform that we might get sometime this year if not this week.

What if there was a tax on condoms ??

What if the Faerie Godmother was a Lesbian ??

What if Santa Claus was an elf molester ??

What if the Easter Bunny has AIDS ??

Because if a buzzard had a piano on his azz then there would be music in the air !!

One of the biggest reasons why HC costs have risen so dramatically and continue to do is the increase in gov't programs that created new entitlements and increased spending. First you had the creation of Medicare and Medicaid, which is essentially gov't subsidized HCI. Which resulted in more people going to do the doctor. Increased demand + no increase in supply equals only one thing: higher costs.

People started going to the ER a lot more, which is a lot more expensive than going to a primary care physician. Congress passed Medicare Part D to cover prescription drugs in 2003, and costs went up again. More benefits = higher HC costs, nothing surprising here.

The other thing that should be said is the rise in preventable health issues. Things like heart disease, strokes, and cancer can be prevented or postponed and treated cheaply if caught in time; smoking, drinking, drug abuse, poor nutrition and obesity are all risk factors that lead to expensive health conditions.

You have to ask yourself a question: does the increase in gov't HC and other social programs over the past 50 years or so enable many people to eschew healthier lifestyle choices cuz they know the gov't will cover their HC costs down the road? For some, the gov't social safety net allows for a subsistence that isn't much above the poverty level but allows for a life free of responsibility. So why exercise, why give up smoking and drinking and drugs, where's the incentive to do so? And so we end up with a number of people who aren't taking good care of their own health, and now that chicken is coming home to roost in the form of higher medical costs.

If you give people free stuff they'll take it. And once they get it they won't want to give it up, hence the huge problem the GOP has right now with repealing Obamacare and passing something else. It's hard to see anything that they might pass these days as really fixing the problem; it might be better than the ACA, not hard to do that but we're going to have to deal with the underlying isues associated with the rise in HC costs in ways that actually work. Which I think will probably require a bipartisan approach, something I don't think we'll see anytime soon.

If I was Trump I'd tell the American people that whatever comes out of Congress in the way of repeal and replace is meant to be a temporary fix to a very large and complex problem, and that we need to have an independent and bipartisan commission to look at the entire HC situation and develop policies to deal with all of it. And then I'd tell Congress to take those recommendations and vote on them without debate, delay, or changes, no matter what it says. And if they don't do it I'd make sure everybody knew who voted against it and work to get them voted outof office. Future Congresses can always amend it, as they surely will. But right now the ACA totally sucks, as did the HC system before the ACA was passed, and the GOP edition of HC reform that we might get sometime this year if not this week.
Damn youre dumb Beavis.

HC costs rise because of technology costs (the 3 armed robots for surgery) and overhead of the hospitals.

H/I (insurance) costs rise because more people are getting insurance who were excluded before due to pre-existing conditions.

What if there was a tax on condoms ??

What if the Faerie Godmother was a Lesbian ??

What if Santa Claus was an elf molester ??

What if the Easter Bunny has AIDS ??

Because if a buzzard had a piano on his azz then there would be music in the air !!

What if you had an IQ approaching three digits????

No one would have had to have been exposed to that stupid post.

True?

Forum List

Back