Giuliani Hatchet Job

I'm wondering why you titled the thread a "hatchet job". It's actually a pretty accurate picture of how Giuliani was viewed before and after 9/11.

Come on, jillian - THIS is "accurate"?

Toro said:
From the article: America’s Mayor may very well be America’s next president.

That concept is very difficult for many New Yorkers to grasp. After living under Giuliani’s tyranny for eight years, many are concerned that America doesn’t know the real Rudy, the “9/10 Rudy,” as he’s been dubbed.

THIS isn't a hatchet job? It's the second one I've read today (the other - on a different board - purported to present a similarly "accurate" look at Tom Tancredo), and all I can say is that this cycle's crop of hatchet jobbery is the dumbest - the most transparent - I've ever seen. Apparently, we're going to dispense with even the PRETENSE of dispassionate objectivity this time around. How our esteemed shapers of public opinion must loathe and despise us. How truly stupid they must think we are.

Come on, jillian - THIS is "accurate"?

THIS isn't a hatchet job? It's the second one I've read today (the other - on a different board - purported to present a similarly "accurate" look at Tom Tancredo), and all I can say is that this cycle's crop of hatchet jobbery is the dumbest - the most transparent - I've ever seen. Apparently, we're going to dispense with even the PRETENSE of dispassionate objectivity this time around. How our esteemed shapers of public opinion must loathe and despise us. How truly stupid they must think we are.

You chose the part that was opinion, albeit strongly worded. Try the beginning. It accurately depicts the way he ran the city and the attitudes of NY'ers toward him before 9/11.

I'll be the first to say that he set exactly the right tone AFTER the attacks. However, as we're learning now, a lot of people may have died and be dying because he let them believe the air was ok to breathe at the WTC site, rather than risk hurting the business interests of the city. I suppose that if one is a business-owner, that might be understandable. If you're the spouse or child of one of the people injured as a result of the policy, you might feel differently.

What I can tell you is that his "leadership style" prior to 9/11 was exactly as depicted. We kind of viewed him as a "teeny weeny mussolini", to be candid. He was spiteful if challenged and very heavy-handed.

The article was fair commentary.

You chose the part that was opinion, albeit strongly worded.

"Strongly" is not the term that sprang to my mind. I was thinking more along the lines of "artless", or "nakedly agenda-driven", or - as a journalistic effort - "piss-poor".

jillian said:
If you're the spouse or child of one of the people injured as a result of the policy, you might feel differently.

Differently from what? Gulliani can take a long walk on a short pier, for all I care; it is the merits (or lack of) of the piece that I was addressing.

jillian said:
The article was fair commentary.

Only if you like shabbily transparent hit pieces.

Giuliani doesn’t want Trump to testify because Giuliani knows that Trump is a pathological liar and will incriminate himself.

This makes Giuliani a conspirator in my view

Forum List

Back