Giuliani For President?

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
Interesting..very interesting

----

Former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani said Sunday he will contemplate next year whether to run for president in 2008.

"I will be considering it next year," Giuliani said during a visit to Denmark. But he added that playing with the idea of running for the Republican nomination for president did not mean he would actually do it.

"Sometime you warm up and get ready and you don't get in and pitch," he told reporters, in a baseball analogy.

Giuliani who was praised for his leadership following the September 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center, thanked Danish firefighters who raised $8,400 in support for their New York colleagues.

"To us it was the only thing we could do, raise money and show our support," firefighter Jens Hjorth said.

Eight firefighters from the station raised the money by recording a CD with six songs called "The Skyline Changed." They sold 27,000 copies.

On Sunday, the band members handed over a copy of the CD to Giuliani, who in return gave them a New York Fire Department hat.

Giuliani was in Denmark to speak at a business leadership conference in the Danish capital on Monday.

In 2000, Giuliani ran for the U.S. Senate, but dropped out after he was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/10/02/guiliani.prez.ap/index.html

Bush Sr. interestingly is touting Giuliani and McCain for '08, not Jeb.

Giuliani has a lot of baggage. Divorced, Catholic, health issues, pretty obnoxious.

My opinion is, if not for the good job he did following 9/11 he would not have even been considered a good mayor. Because he wasn't. He showed leadership in a pinch however.

Rudy was a good mayor. Crime dropped like a rock. Which maybe wasn't hard after David Dinkins, but hey. When my roommate back in Brooklyn called him a "bigot," I knew he was good stuff.

:cheers2:

He won't go far nationally. He's a liberal on every issue except crime. That's not enough to win.

The winner in Ought Eight will take a tough stand on immigration. WJ prediction.

William Joyce said:
Rudy was a good mayor. Crime dropped like a rock. Which maybe wasn't hard after David Dinkins, but hey. When my roommate back in Brooklyn called him a "bigot," I knew he was good stuff.

:cheers2:

He won't go far nationally. He's a liberal on every issue except crime. That's not enough to win.

The winner in Ought Eight will take a tough stand on immigration. WJ prediction.

Agreed---demonizing Hispanics is a sure bet to get the black vote and whites like the idea of keeping more of those non english speaking brown people from invading.

dilloduck said:
Agreed---demonizing Hispanics is a sure bet to get the black vote and whites like the idea of keeping more of those non english speaking brown people from invading.

I think this is simplifying the whole border issue. There are many good reasons for closing down the porous border than to demonize hispanics. This falls right into the hands of the "they are all bigots" preachers on the left. That porous border lets in many non-mexican illegal immigrants as well as the hispanic types and without knowledge of people crossing the border we will have an attack made on us by people that crossed that very border. It will either become an issue in this Presidential election or it will become the issue in the future after the attack that will come if we do nothing.

no1tovote4 said:
I think this is simplifying the whole border issue. There are many good reasons for closing down the porous border than to demonize hispanics. This falls right into the hands of the "they are all bigots" preachers on the left. That porous border lets in many non-mexican illegal immigrants as well as the hispanic types and without knowledge of people crossing the border we will have an attack made on us by people that crossed that very border. It will either become an issue in this Presidential election or it will become the issue in the future after the attack that will come if we do nothing.

I agree--I did over simpilify it however the left can never be persuaded to stop calling conservatives "bigots" as long as conservatives maintain their stand against multi-culturalism and the left still doesn't believe we should be at war with anyone but one person--Bin Laden.

Nuc said:
Bush Sr. interestingly is touting Giuliani and McCain for '08, not Jeb.

Giuliani has a lot of baggage. Divorced, Catholic, health issues, pretty obnoxious.

My opinion is, if not for the good job he did following 9/11 he would not have even been considered a good mayor. Because he wasn't. He showed leadership in a pinch however.

Since when is being Catholic baggage?????

Every New Yorker I know (and some are Dems) loved what he did for New York. If he gets the electorial votes for that state he could easily win.

Also Bush would be stupid to endorce Jeb for president since it would smack of a dynasty.

Trigg said:

It's not baggage for me, but unfortunately it is for a lot of Americans. I guess that's why we've only had one Catholic president?

Trigg said:

I'm beginning to think even being Christian is baggage - according to the Left.

How about Mitt Romney? He's obviously planning to run and he's Morman. :eek:

gop_jeff said:
Condi is my first pick. I would certainly consider Rudi, if for no other reason than he's got a pair.

I'd vote for Condi, just to stop the blacks and women from whining about lack of access to power.
:chains: :hail: :flameth: :soul: :soul: :wank:

ScreamingEagle said:
I'm beginning to think even being Christian is baggage - according to the Left.
:

Gimme a break, you must be a married Christian male to even consider a serious run for the presidency. Christians have enormous power in politics, business and everywhere else in this country. Christians are the overwhelming majority in the US. Why talk like a martyr? Crybabies!

Nuc said:
Gimme a break, you must be a married Christian male to even consider a serious run for the presidency. Christians have enormous power in politics, business and everywhere else in this country. Christians are the overwhelming majority in the US. Why talk like a martyr? Crybabies!

Remember the picture of GWB speaking in front of a painting of Jesus and how the Left was screaming about it? They also scream about anything GWB says if he refers to God in his statements. How about Ashcroft getting broiled because he said prayers in the morning? Even judges get taken to court for putting up a "Christian" statue in their places of work. Martyr? I think not. Someday the Left is going to be demanding a "secular" President.

ScreamingEagle said:
Someday the Left is going to be demanding a "secular" President.

And if Christians don't want that, it won't happen, because we live in a democracy and Christians are the majority. Personally I think ethics and morals are more important than which set of mythological beliefs one subscribes to (or not). I'd settle for an honest and competent president. There have been good and bad rulers all over the world regardless of religion. That's not the factor that makes a good leader.

Nuc said:
And if Christians don't want that, it won't happen, because we live in a democracy and Christians are the majority. Personally I think ethics and morals are more important than which set of mythological beliefs one subscribes to (or not). I'd settle for an honest and competent president. There have been good and bad rulers all over the world regardless of religion. That's not the factor that makes a good leader.

How do you know it won't happen? I can see the ACLU separating church and state to the point where we can't use Christian judges because they might be biased against those in court. Why not eventually find a rule in the Constitution about Presidents too? After all, he's part of government, isn't he? You know, separation of church and state and all that. That's the direction the liberals are taking us.

ScreamingEagle said:
How do you know it won't happen? I can see the ACLU separating church and state to the point where we can't use Christian judges because they might be biased against those in court. Why not eventually find a rule in the Constitution about Presidents too? After all, he's part of government, isn't he? You know, separation of church and state and all that. That's the direction the liberals are taking us.

How are they going to accomplish this in a democracy?

Trigg said:

It always has been in America, which is fundamentally Protestant at its Christian core. JFK was a big exception to this, though daddy helped things along by getting the mafia to fix some elections. Don't get me wrong --- I grew up in the Catholic faith, though with a Protestant (turned Catholic) father. The Protestant side of the family was very WASPy and viewed Catholic as "ethnic," i.e., Irish, Italian and worse, Mexican, with weird rituals from non-English-speaking countries, "Popery," loyalty to Rome instead of Washington, etc. This is what has historically given Catholicism baggage. It just wasn't (and often still isn't) seen as pure blond American.

But hey --- some of my most racist friends are Catholics. Really.

William Joyce said:
It always has been in America, which is fundamentally Protestant at its Christian core. JFK was a big exception to this, though daddy helped things along by getting the mafia to fix some elections. Don't get me wrong --- I grew up in the Catholic faith, though with a Protestant (turned Catholic) father. The Protestant side of the family was very WASPy and viewed Catholic as "ethnic," i.e., Irish, Italian and worse, Mexican, with weird rituals from non-English-speaking countries, "Popery," loyalty to Rome instead of Washington, etc. This is what has historically given Catholicism baggage. It just wasn't (and often still isn't) seen as pure blond American.

But hey --- some of my most racist friends are Catholics. Really.

I honestly didn't realize that people still think being Catholic is baggage. Obviously this was true back when JFK ran, but that was a long time ago. Geez, paint me surprised.

I think the the faith is a little different, what with praying to the saints and all. But, it wouldn't have accured to me to hold it against him.

Being any particular religion shouldn't be baggage, though I'm guessing there will be no Muslim candidates for president from either party. I get so tired of hearing Liberals accused of trying to run religion completely out of public life. No one, including the ACLU, says when you assume public office you have to check your religion at the door. The problem is, when one is an elected public servant they are charged with representing people of all religious beliefs, not just their own. If Joe Lieberman was calling for the nation's food to be kept Kosher, Christians and hog farmers would have a fit. Lieberman, though he may eat a Kosher diet, would never seek to use the power of government to enforce his particular religious standards on the rest of us, which is exactly what the far right in this country wants to do.

As for Rudy Giuliani, he's a liberal. He'll never get the GOP nod because the party is a subsidiary of the far right. The candidate will likely be someone like BIll Frist or George Allen. Romney is also a long shot, he's from Massachussetts and also is too moderate for the far right.

acludem

Forum List

Back