Giuliani For President?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GotZoom, Oct 2, 2005.

1. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Interesting..very interesting

----

Former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani said Sunday he will contemplate next year whether to run for president in 2008.

"I will be considering it next year," Giuliani said during a visit to Denmark. But he added that playing with the idea of running for the Republican nomination for president did not mean he would actually do it.

"Sometime you warm up and get ready and you don't get in and pitch," he told reporters, in a baseball analogy.

Giuliani who was praised for his leadership following the September 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center, thanked Danish firefighters who raised $8,400 in support for their New York colleagues.

"To us it was the only thing we could do, raise money and show our support," firefighter Jens Hjorth said.

Eight firefighters from the station raised the money by recording a CD with six songs called "The Skyline Changed." They sold 27,000 copies.

On Sunday, the band members handed over a copy of the CD to Giuliani, who in return gave them a New York Fire Department hat.

Giuliani was in Denmark to speak at a business leadership conference in the Danish capital on Monday.

In 2000, Giuliani ran for the U.S. Senate, but dropped out after he was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/10/02/guiliani.prez.ap/index.html

2. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Bush Sr. interestingly is touting Giuliani and McCain for '08, not Jeb.

Giuliani has a lot of baggage. Divorced, Catholic, health issues, pretty obnoxious.

My opinion is, if not for the good job he did following 9/11 he would not have even been considered a good mayor. Because he wasn't. He showed leadership in a pinch however.

3. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Rudy was a good mayor. Crime dropped like a rock. Which maybe wasn't hard after David Dinkins, but hey. When my roommate back in Brooklyn called him a "bigot," I knew he was good stuff.

:cheers2:

He won't go far nationally. He's a liberal on every issue except crime. That's not enough to win.

The winner in Ought Eight will take a tough stand on immigration. WJ prediction.

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Agreed---demonizing Hispanics is a sure bet to get the black vote and whites like the idea of keeping more of those non english speaking brown people from invading.

5. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I think this is simplifying the whole border issue. There are many good reasons for closing down the porous border than to demonize hispanics. This falls right into the hands of the "they are all bigots" preachers on the left. That porous border lets in many non-mexican illegal immigrants as well as the hispanic types and without knowledge of people crossing the border we will have an attack made on us by people that crossed that very border. It will either become an issue in this Presidential election or it will become the issue in the future after the attack that will come if we do nothing.

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I agree--I did over simpilify it however the left can never be persuaded to stop calling conservatives "bigots" as long as conservatives maintain their stand against multi-culturalism and the left still doesn't believe we should be at war with anyone but one person--Bin Laden.

7. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69

Since when is being Catholic baggage?????

Every New Yorker I know (and some are Dems) loved what he did for New York. If he gets the electorial votes for that state he could easily win.

Also Bush would be stupid to endorce Jeb for president since it would smack of a dynasty.

8. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    It's not baggage for me, but unfortunately it is for a lot of Americans. I guess that's why we've only had one Catholic president?

9. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    I'm beginning to think even being Christian is baggage - according to the Left.

How about Mitt Romney? He's obviously planning to run and he's Morman. :eek:

10. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Condi is my first pick. I would certainly consider Rudi, if for no other reason than he's got a pair.