Gingrich and santorum’s unity ticket dreamland

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
They couldn't agree on who'd be at the top of the ticket.:razz:

The plan went like this: in the middle of a Republican-primary debate, Newt Gingrich would announce, live and on television, that he was throwing in his lot with Rick Santorum, and would then become Santorum’s running mate. “I couldn’t write an ad to match the political theatre that would have created,” John Brabender, Santorum’s chief strategist, told Bloomberg Businessweek’s Joshua Green, revealing, among other things, that the debates had the potential to be even more absurd. Romney would crumble and Santorum would be President, with Gingrich just down the hall.
Or maybe the plan went like this: Gingrich and Santorum would announce a “Unity Ticket” and then fan out across the country, each gathering delegates where he was strongest. (Gingrich thought he’d carry Wisconsin because it was Callista’s home state.) Romney would crumble, and then either Santorum or Gingrich would be President. “The big question was who was going to unify with whom? Who was going to be the sheriff and who was going to be the deputy?” Gingrich’s pollster told Green. Or, as Gingrich himself put it to Green, “I’d like to have had Santorum drop out, and he’d have liked me to drop out.”

Read more: Gingrich and Santorum's Unity Ticket Dreamland : The New Yorker

The plan went like this: in the middle of a Republican-primary debate, Newt Gingrich would announce, live and on television, that he was throwing in his lot with Rick Santorum, and would then become Santorums running mate. I couldnt write an ad to match the political theatre that would have created, John Brabender, Santorums chief strategist, told Bloomberg Businessweeks Joshua Green, revealing, among other things, that the debates had the potential to be even more absurd. Romney would crumble and Santorum would be President, with Gingrich just down the hall.
Or maybe the plan went like this: Gingrich and Santorum would announce a Unity Ticket and then fan out across the country, each gathering delegates where he was strongest. (Gingrich thought hed carry Wisconsin because it was Callistas home state.) Romney would crumble, and then either Santorum or Gingrich would be President. The big question was who was going to unify with whom? Who was going to be the sheriff and who was going to be the deputy? Gingrichs pollster told Green. Or, as Gingrich himself put it to Green, Id like to have had Santorum drop out, and hed have liked me to drop out.

Can I bump your old thread? You're the first person to ever mention the Unity Ticket

The plan went like this: in the middle of a Republican-primary debate, Newt Gingrich would announce, live and on television, that he was throwing in his lot with Rick Santorum, and would then become Santorums running mate. I couldnt write an ad to match the political theatre that would have created, John Brabender, Santorums chief strategist, told Bloomberg Businessweeks Joshua Green, revealing, among other things, that the debates had the potential to be even more absurd. Romney would crumble and Santorum would be President, with Gingrich just down the hall.
Or maybe the plan went like this: Gingrich and Santorum would announce a Unity Ticket and then fan out across the country, each gathering delegates where he was strongest. (Gingrich thought hed carry Wisconsin because it was Callistas home state.) Romney would crumble, and then either Santorum or Gingrich would be President. The big question was who was going to unify with whom? Who was going to be the sheriff and who was going to be the deputy? Gingrichs pollster told Green. Or, as Gingrich himself put it to Green, Id like to have had Santorum drop out, and hed have liked me to drop out.

I think I heard them say they would basically get public consensus on all the issues. If most Americans want abortion to be legal, to go green, common sense gun control, to raise taxes on rich people, stop immigrants from flooding across our border, this party will do what the public wants.

So they will lead by polls.

Forum List

Back