Getting started in Philosophy

yiostheoy

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2016
Most of us who are versed in Philosophy took a college class called Intro Philosophy 101.

This is typically a survey course covering all the philosophers and philosophy types from west to east starting with Thales in Greece and Confucius in China.

It then spends a section on each of the subsequent philosophers in Europe and in Asia.

If you are in high school or college, it would be wise to plan to take a 101 course like this before you finish college.

If you are too old to go back to college, here are 3 books that will accomplish the same thing for you:

- "Essentials Of Philosophy", by James Mannion, Fall River Press (2002).

- "History Of Western Philosophy", by Bertrand Russell, Simon & Schuster (1945/1972).

- "Modern Philosophy", by Roger Scruton, Penguin Press (1994).

You should read all 3 in that order, Mannion first, Russell second, and Scruton third.

That will give you the basics to understand what philosophy, science, and religion really are, and why they must be kept separate in your thinking.

Once you get a handle on the procedures of Philosophy, then it is time to get a handle on history too.

The best place to start with a study of history is "History Of The World" by J.M. Roberts, Penguin Books (2002).

For whose benefit do you imagine this thread to be, aside from yourself?

Uncle Ferd says...

... don't fergit the pipe...

... an' horn-rimmed glasses...

... dey make ya look distinguished...

... whilst ya philosophizin'.

Most of us who are versed in Philosophy took a college class called Intro Philosophy 101.

This is typically a survey course covering all the philosophers and philosophy types from west to east starting with Thales in Greece and Confucius in China.

It then spends a section on each of the subsequent philosophers in Europe and in Asia.

If you are in high school or college, it would be wise to plan to take a 101 course like this before you finish college.

If you are too old to go back to college, here are 3 books that will accomplish the same thing for you:

- "Essentials Of Philosophy", by James Mannion, Fall River Press (2002).

- "History Of Western Philosophy", by Bertrand Russell, Simon & Schuster (1945/1972).

- "Modern Philosophy", by Roger Scruton, Penguin Press (1994).

You should read all 3 in that order, Mannion first, Russell second, and Scruton third.

That will give you the basics to understand what philosophy, science, and religion really are, and why they must be kept separate in your thinking.

Thanks for the suggestions. Glad to see others on here that read! I'd add Walden by Henry David Thoreau as a must read.

images.jpg

Thanks for the book recommendation. History of the World

I would recommend Anthony Kenny's 'History' and Peter Watson's 'Idea' books as introductions into the world of thought.

A few links below. 3AM has lots of interviews, Aeon covers lots of topics, 'what it's like' more interviews, and both Leiter and Horowitz run excellent thoughtful blogs. See my thread below too, over 19k views so far.

Life After Faith
Interviews
How should philosophy be taught? | Aeon

WIU Philosophy Prof. Powell: "In Defense of Philosophy"
Rust Belt Philosophy

My threads on USMB - 19 thousand views on first link.

'Why Study Philosophy'
Conversational Philosophy

"When thinking changes your mind, that's philosophy.
When God changes your mind, that's faith.
When facts change your mind, that's science." from edge.org - another excellent site.

Thanks for the book recommendation. ...

I would recommend ... See my thread below too, over 19k views so far.

Life After Faith
Interviews
How should philosophy be taught? | Aeon

WIU Philosophy Prof. Powell: "In Defense of Philosophy"
Rust Belt Philosophy

My threads on USMB - 19 thousand views on first link.

'Why Study Philosophy'
Conversational Philosophy

"When thinking changes your mind, that's philosophy.
When God changes your mind, that's faith.
When facts change your mind, that's science." from edge.org - another excellent site.

"Recommended reading: my threads on this site..."

:lmao:

You just won the world championship for pretentious self importance!

:lmao:

The answer to the question "why study philosophy" has got to be to lay a foundation for all other human though in life both professionally and in your private time.

I would not suggest becoming a philosophy professional, with a Ph.D., but I would recommend getting the basics down to where you know the difference between epistemology, metaphysics, ethics, aesthetics, logic, rhetoric, fallacies, teleology, the proofs of God, and the difference between philosophy, science, and religion.

There are some majors in college that are really hard to find a job with.

Philosophy is one.

Anyone with a major in Philosophy better plan to become a college teacher. They don't even teach it in high school.

It's not even worth getting a minor in Philosophy because after you have taken one or two college classes then you already know all the philosophy that you ever need to know in your life.

...after you have taken one or two college classes then you already know all the philosophy that you ever need to know in your life.

If you really think so, you wasted your time starting this thread and you understand nothing.

...after you have taken one or two college classes then you already know all the philosophy that you ever need to know in your life.

If you really think so, you wasted your time starting this thread and you understand nothing.
Everyone needs to understand the basics of philosophical thinking.

But you can get the basics in just a couple or 3 semesters.

First semester -- survey course.

Second semester -- modern course.

Third semester -- logic versus rhetoric.

There you have it.

You really don't need to become an expert at every Tom, Dick, and Harry philosopher beyond the survey course.

The evolution of the history of Philosophy is worth studying for Greece AND for China because this tells how clear human thought arose.

Aristotle is the first philosopher that is worth studying. Plato is a big waste of time.

Aristotle gave us logic, ethics, identification of fallacies, the Prime Mover proof of God, etc.

Descartes is the next philosopher worth studying because he vanquished the skeptics with cogito ergo sum -- you cannot deny cogito ergo sum.

Immanuel Kant is the next philosopher worth studying.

It is also good to know Machiavelli and Nietzsche in case you need to kill somebody, such as for jobs like a cop, soldier, CIA, or head of state. Revenge is a dish best served cold. That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Last edited:
The above comments indicate a superficial and juvenile understanding of the subject at best.

...as I suspected from the outset.

Philosophy is a great way to challenge your own parochial beliefs.

But when you boil it all down it's basically just another person telling you what they think is important what their perceptions of life and ethics are.

So read and endeavor to understand it but use it as a tool to come up with your own personal code.

But when you boil it all down it's basically just another person telling you what they think is important what their perceptions of life and ethics are.

So read and endeavor to understand it but use it as a tool to come up with your own personal code.
Exactly right!

Philosophy is the only way to learn the analytical skills to be able to challenge religion and science.

There is a lot of bad religion and junk science in the world.

Philosophy is the only way to combat it.

And I certainly would not advocate making another philosopher's ideas your own.

Everyone should come up with their own philosophy.

Exactly right!

Philosophy is the only way to learn the analytical skills to be able to challenge religion and science.

There is a lot of bad religion and junk science in the world.

Philosophy is the only way to combat it.

And I certainly would not advocate making another philosopher's ideas your own.

Everyone should come up with their own philosophy.

Maybe you should learn more about the subject than just reading a list of texts for an intro course before doling out the advice, professor.

New Topics

Forum List

Back