General Election: Romney vs. Obama

Discussion in 'Politics' started by beretta304, Sep 10, 2012.

1. beretta304

beretta304 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    As I said before, polls do not matter, especially at this point. I posted this link because a certain someone here was wetting herself with glee because she thought Obama was going to run away with it because he was up a few points. It's still neck and neck and we haven't even had the debates yet.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - General Election: Romney vs. Obama

2. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,472

Interesting read:

Niall Ferguson: Why Obama Is Winning - Newsweek and The Daily Beast

Ferguson offers four theories for Obama's lead. Mine is that people are looking at their choices, they like Obama personally more than Romney, and they're not convinced Romney has the answers. Obama's primary question, "do you really want to go back to the ideas that got us here?", is perfectly reasonable. And believe it or not, there are some reasonable people out there, folks who aren't paralyzed by partisanship.

We'll see, huh? I just want this over with.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,066
    Point is, in the whole process, Romney has never been a head of Obama. RCP has managed to fudge a tie here and there in the average, but for the most part, Obama's been ahead and now he's pulling ahead, and it's a month until the debate.

Romney was a horrible candidate. He was a horrible candidate 4 years ago when Republicans rejected him and the Cult he road in on.

4. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,472

Robert Samuelson also has an interesting piece this morning, and it's actually similar to Ferguson's:

The pessimism and frustration define the debate. It's less about whether you're better off now than four years ago and more about whether you believe things will get better. Or put differently: Do Americans believe Obama has lost control of events, justifying a change at the top?

Crazy as it sounds, not everyone votes based simply on the letter after a candidate's name. Go figure! There are still people who are not convinced that Romney is the guy. Seems to me that, with unemployment still over 8%, that's the most likely answer for Obama's lead.

5. beretta304

beretta304 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73

I agree. I wish it were held next week and be done with it.

6. beretta304

beretta304 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I would also add what about one fact that plays enormously in Obama's favor...the African American vote.

He has 100% support. Those blacks willing to admit that they won't vote for him is so small is doesn't statistically register. Will they turn out is another matter.

The issue is the economy and jobs. The unemployment rate in the African American is much higher than the national average.

Obama should be trailing. I've heard the "if the Republicans had a better candidate" argument. Who or what constitutes a better candidate?

Not everyone will vote based on the letter after a candidate's name but we have indications that one bloc of voters will vote based on the color of the candidate's skin.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  7. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,472

You RACIST!

:cool:

8. beretta304

beretta304 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73

Of course I am. When a fact is a fact and it goes against political correctness one is naturally a racist.

"In a discussion on CNN about a recent NBC/Wall Street Journal poll which showed that 0 percent of African American voters intended to support Mitt Romney over President Barack Obama,..."

Romney Has 0% Black Support Because He Calculated He ‘Doesn’t Need Blacks Or Latinos’

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnn-cont...-calculated-he-doesnt-need-blacks-or-latinos/

There's no other explanation. :D

Poll: Romney a Zero Among Black Voters

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/Ke...2/08/23/poll-romney-a-zero-among-black-voters

Statistical Noise in Election Polls

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/13/statistical-noise-in-election-polls/

Black Voter Turnout Could Make A Big Difference In Several Swing States, Report Finds

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/17/black-voter-turnout_n_1680177.html

More:

http://www.google.com/search?q=NBC/...t:*&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  9. LoneLaugher

LoneLaugher Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,467
    If the unemployment rate in the African American demographic wasn't higher historically......regardless of who has occupied the WH, you might be able to sniff at a salient point.

10. LoneLaugher

LoneLaugher Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,467
    Fact: Beretta says polls do not matter.
    Fact: Beretta often starts threads about polls.

Explain.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1