Gas tax time?

acludem said:
And BTW, the capital of Washington is Olympia, so I doubt Seattle could impose a statewide tax on anything.

The point was that Seattle liberals have gerrymandered the state district lines so that there are lots of Seattle liberals in the state legislature. And Seattle liberals are the ones constantly clamoring for - and passing - higher taxes on the rest of the state.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
gop_jeff said:
The point was that Seattle liberals have gerrymandered the state district lines so that there are lots of Seattle liberals in the state legislature. And Seattle liberals are the ones constantly clamoring for - and passing - higher taxes on the rest of the state.
Gerrymandering is such bullshit.

Yes, by all means. Let's pass a new gas tax, and let's make it a whopper. The left is constantly moaning that we don't pay what europe does, so let's become the world leader. Let's slap an additional $5/gal. tax on.

Congradulations, now everyone drives tiny little boxes. Of course, for the oil we're still buying, it's still cheaper to get it from the mideast. Plus we haven't found a petroleum substitute for plastics. Awesome.

The supreme irony of all this? The same people who are agitating for a gas tax to curb automobile useage are the same people who spent the last five decades using government regulations (zoning, building codes) and subsidies to mandate a car-centric style of building cities. Want to really save gas? Forget hybrids and hydrogen and all that other crap--live in an apartment on top of a retail area and walk downstairs to work. Oh wait, you can't do that. Mixed-use zoning is illegal just about everywhere.

dmp said:
I'm glad you finally understood. Comprehension owns.

:p:

:D

Yes, now that I've deciphered your vague phrasing, I do understand. :p:

Composition owns. :D

BaronVonBigmeat said:
Yes, by all means. Let's pass a new gas tax, and let's make it a whopper. The left is constantly moaning that we don't pay what europe does, so let's become the world leader. Let's slap an additional $5/gal. tax on.

Congradulations, now everyone drives tiny little boxes. Of course, for the oil we're still buying, it's still cheaper to get it from the mideast. Plus we haven't found a petroleum substitute for plastics. Awesome.

The supreme irony of all this? The same people who are agitating for a gas tax to curb automobile useage are the same people who spent the last five decades using government regulations (zoning, building codes) and subsidies to mandate a car-centric style of building cities. Want to really save gas? Forget hybrids and hydrogen and all that other crap--live in an apartment on top of a retail area and walk downstairs to work. Oh wait, you can't do that. Mixed-use zoning is illegal just about everywhere.

I fully support a gas tax, the higher the better. If it reduces our oil dependency even marginally, it will be worth it.

http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2005-03-15/russell-cornplastic

Corn based plastic is becoming increasingly popular, although it still uses some petrolium.

acludem said:
Tell that to Tom Delay in Texas. He gerrymandered Democrats out of several seats in the U.S. House.

acludem

Translation: "Hi! I can't come up with a good counter-argument, so I'll change the topic."

How have sin taxes lowered the demand for alcohol and tobacco?

The government should not be using tax as a tool to control demand. That is why we live under a capitalism.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Shattered said:
That made me grumpy yesterday.. Especially since <i>somebody</i> I know paid a whopping 1.97 per gallon before leaving for a business trip. I paid $2.35.

*scowl*

$ 1.97 !!!???!!!???!!!???

That would be $ 2.17 for my 93 octane then.

Good grief!!!!

Mr.Conley said:
I fully support a gas tax, the higher the better. If it reduces our oil dependency even marginally, it will be worth it.

http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2005-03-15/russell-cornplastic

Corn based plastic is becoming increasingly popular, although it still uses some petrolium.

Meanwhile, the price of everything will go right up, because it takes gasoline to transport goods, and the cost of transportation is rolled up into the cost that consumers pay. So not only will you be paying more for gas, you'll be paying more for food, clothes, furniture, electronics, books, and most other consumer goods.

gop_jeff said:
Meanwhile, the price of everything will go right up, because it takes gasoline to transport goods, and the cost of transportation is rolled up into the cost that consumers pay. So not only will you be paying more for gas, you'll be paying more for food, clothes, furniture, electronics, books, and most other consumer goods.

...which sends MORE money to the Fuck-heads running my state. :( Increasing the Gas Tax generates Revenue for most EVERYTHING they want to fund, because we're paying more SALES TAX on Shoes, TVs, alcohol, and Chicken.

:(

MtnBiker said:
How have sin taxes lowered the demand for alcohol and tobacco?

The government should not be using tax as a tool to control demand. That is why we live under a capitalism.

1. US oil demand declined for the first time in 5 years after Katrina sent prices up.
2. High prices reduce demand. If the tax is high enough, demand will drop.

gop_jeff said:

Prices will rise. Higher gas prices aren't fun for anyone, but they are inevitable. Oil is a finite resource, you can either pay a little more today or a whole lot more in 10-15 years. A higher tax make the price higher, making alternatives more attractive to industry and consumers now instead of in a decade when we start seeing major supply issues. If we work ahead than when oil prices start going crazy, we'll be a bit more insulated from shocks.

Mr.Conley said:
1. US oil demand declined for the first time in 5 years after Katrina sent prices up.

Prices will rise. Higher gas prices aren't fun for anyone, but they are inevitable. Oil is a finite resource, you can either pay a little more today or a whole lot more in 10-15 years. A higher tax make the price higher, making alternatives more attractive to industry and consumers now instead of in a decade when we start seeing major supply issues. If we work ahead than when oil prices start going crazy, we'll be a bit more insulated from shocks.

I'm sure glad the libs are here to save us from ourselves. They're so noble, especially in their pursuit of population control through economic stupidity.

Mr.Conley said:

So you're arguing that the oil supply is going to dry up in 10-15 years? Educate yourself with some better figures - like 2050 at least.

Mr.Conley said:

There was an interuption in supply and the price did spike up, true enough. However in time the market corrected itself by brining more supply on board. You are avocating that the government falsely adjust prices to lower demand. That is not the governments role. Profit incentive for new sources of energy are the best motivators.

Forum List

Back