Ft. Lewis Soldier Refuses Deployment To Iraq MERGED: Coming News Cycle

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I don't think it's called dissent...Let's see, he graduated college and enlisted in 2003, anyone want to bet he's backed by groups on the left?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003044627_nogo7m.html

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Spineless, worthless piece of crap - that's how I'd define that LT. :(

3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    btw - $10 says if that focker had soldiers, they are ashamed of him.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    This just smacks of a 'plant.' I wonder if knows he could be brought up on sedition charges?

5. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    PIERCE COUNTY - An Army lieutenant based at Fort Lewis has such grave objections to the war in Iraq, he's refusing to deploy.

In a statement issued at a news conference Wednesday, 1st Lt. Ehren Watada wrote:

"It is my duty as a commissioned officer of the United States Army to speak out against grave injustices. My moral and legal obligation is to the Constitution and not those who would issue unlawful orders."

Watada scheduled the news conference here, near Fort Lewis, where he is stationed, but was barred from attending during his duty hours from 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. PDT.

His statement continued: "It is my conclusion as an officer of the armed forces that the war in Iraq is not only morally wrong but a horrible breach of American law.

"Although I have tried to resign out of protest, I am forced to participate in a war that is manifestly illegal. As the order to take part in an illegal act is ultimately unlawful as well, I must as an officer of honor and integrity refuse that order."

He said the war violates the democratic system of checks and balances and usurps international treaties and conventions.

"The wholesale slaughter and mistreatment of the Iraqi people with only limited accountability is not only a terrible moral injustice but a contradiction to the Army's own Law of Land Warfare," Watada said.

In a letter to his command in January, Watada said he had reservations about the Iraq war and felt he could not participate, his lawyer, Eric A. Seitz, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview Tuesday from his office in Honolulu.

A couple of months later, at the Army's suggestion, Watada resubmitted his request to resign, Seitz said. He was told last month that his request had been denied. It would be Watada's first deployment to Iraq.

Joseph W. Hitt, a civilian spokesman at Fort Lewis, about 40 miles south of Seattle, said Watada is a member of the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, the Army's first Stryker Brigade Combat Team. The unit held a deployment ceremony Friday and is set to begin leaving later this month for a second mission in Iraq.

Hitt said only that the Army is aware of Watada's plans. "We have nothing to say about it because nothing has happened, and we're not going to speculate on anything," Hitt said.

Watada, the son of Bob Watada, former executive director of Hawaii's campaign spending commission, enlisted in 2003 after graduation from Hawaii Pacific University. He reported for boot camp that June and began officer candidate school two months later.

Watada's commission requires that he serve as an active-duty Army officer for three years ending this Dec. 3, Seitz said.

"By his refusal to participate in the ongoing war, Lt. Watada joins a growing number of high-ranking military officers, West Point graduates and current and former members of the armed services who have expressed their opposition to the actions of the United States in Iraq," Seitz said in a statement released Tuesday.

Watada could be court martialed if he refuses to serve as ordered, unless the Army allows him to resign his commission or assigns him to duties that are not directly connected to the war, Seitz said.

Watada did not apply for conscientious objector status.

"In order to qualify as a conscientious objector you have to be opposed to war in any form, and he is not. He's just opposed to this war," Seitz told the AP.

Paul Boyce, a spokesman in the Army's national public affairs office, said Watada is "not the first officer, not the first enlisted, nor the first soldier" to refuse deployment to Iraq. An Army fact sheet dated Sept. 21, 2005, the most recent one available, said conscientious objector applications had been approved 87 and 101 denied since January 2003.

Army regulations define conscientious objection as a "firm, fixed and sincere objection to participation in war in any form or the bearing of arms, because of religious training and belief."

http://www.komotv.com/stories/43792.htm

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    LT's are NOT "High-Ranking" ;)

lol :)

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I was going to merge these too! :thup:

8. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    As far as I know, and please do correct me if I'm wrong, but my daddy gets his pay check for serving, not for believing. As soon as he finishes his term he can get out, but until then his beliefs and feelings have no place in his professional life.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

You nailed it. This LT is worthless as a 'man'. He's not a man, he's a scared boy.

No offense to 'boys' :)

10. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,237
    Dunno why they just don't let him resign. I doubt anybody would serve with him now anyway...