from the state that (s)elected our (p)resident

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by spillmind, Feb 25, 2004.

1. spillmind

spillmind Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Report: Slavery Alive and Well in Florida
    Wed Feb 25, 8:23 AM ET

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...&u=/ap/20040225/ap_on_re_us/human_trafficking

By JACKIE HALLIFAX, Associated Press Writer

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Modern-day slavery is alive and well in Florida, the head of a human rights center said Tuesday as it released a report on people forced to work as prostitutes, farmworkers and maids across the state.

Human traffickers bring thousands of people into the United States each year and Florida is believed to be one of the top three destinations, along with New York and Texas, according to the Center for the Advancement of Human Rights at Florida State University.

Although there have been several prosecutions of human trafficking in Florida, no one knows how many people in Florida are under the control of traffickers, said Terry Coonan, the center's executive director.

In south Florida, federal prosecutions have indicated hundreds of farmworkers were victims of human trafficking, and a forced prostitution ring identified as many as 40 young women and girls brought from Mexico. The center also cited a case of "domestic servitude" in southwest Florida.

But the problem is not limited to those areas or those industries, according to Robin Thompson, director of the research project.

"All you have to do is look where cheap labor is required and where there is a potential for labor exploitation, which pretty much can put you anywhere in our state," Thompson said.

The center organized a "working group" of advocates and law enforcement officials to study the issue. The project was funded by a federal grant under a 2000 law designed to increase protections for victims of human trafficking.

The center's report emphasized that not all victims of human trafficking are illegal immigrants. Many enter the United States legally but because of their poverty or inability to speak English are exploited by traffickers.

And some victims are Americans, Thompson said, pointing to the homeless, addicted and runaways as potential victims for traffickers.

"The greater the awareness, the more likely these cases will be reported and prosecuted," Coonan told reporters. "This is almost an invisible crime because the victims are kept out of the public eye. We need to crack this code of silence."

Center for the Advancement of Human Rights: http://www.cahr.fsu.edu

way to go, jeb.

2. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Always an angle towards Bush. :rolleyes:

Why aren't you complaining about Pataki or Perry? They don't fit into your agenda?

3. spillmind

spillmind Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Bush is on my cutting block for a number of reasons, his long family history of hipocrisy, from prescott bush investing in the nazi regime, to bush sr.'s cozy relationship with the bin laden family.

i don't condone wrong doings of others, but i am sick and tired of people putting bush up on a pedastal! he is the most prominent figurehead in politics today, and has a lot to answer for.

the state was florida, jeb is the governor. georgie is related. it's not really going out on a limb.... now back to topic....

4. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Now back to the topic? YOU HAVEN'T BEEN ON TOPIC YET!

The article clearly mentions Florida, Texas & NY. Why mention just Bush? What has he done or haven't done to get the blame for this? What have ANY of the governors done to be held responsible for someone elses crimes?

C'mon, Spilly, loosen your tinfoil a bit!

5. deciophobic

deciophobic Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  6. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I did a search on that entire page for "bush" but I didn't get any results. Since Jeb Bush is responsible for this, can you tell me why I don't see him mentioned?

7. deciophobic

deciophobic Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    did i say jeb was responsible for this???? man, this is a totally seperate thing. it's not even in our country.

8. deciophobic

deciophobic Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    well? no sorry? at least i apologized when i accidently made you believe my response was for you instead of someone else.

9. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Why the hell would I say I was sorry? The original poster implied that Jeb Bush was responsible! I was just asking why his name wasn't mentioned in the article you linked to.

10. tim_duncan2000

tim_duncan2000 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Apparently that's why. How is that Bush's fault anyway? And from him saying (s)elected, I can tell you're still mad about the result. What about Gore and the absentee ballots (many of them were from military men and women).