Friedman Calls In Chips For Obama

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I can see them lining up now. More of their GDP on defense of themselves. A more active roll regarding Iran. Times are going to be great!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/09/opinion/09friedman.html?_r=1&ref=opinion&oref=slogin

2. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,683

:lol:

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Of course Friedman was never crazy for Bush, what will be interesting is to see the fruition of Europe's calls for 'change.' Their excuse for not stepping up is gone, what do you think will 'change'?

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    American foreign policy in the last 8 years was far to belicose and far too arrogant.

Even when the governments of Europe basically agreed with those policies, the arrogance of them made it difficult for those governments because they offended the PEOPLE.

Perhaps a more subtle POTUS, one not given to saying things like "bring 'em on!" will make it easier for those governments to help us without inflaming the anti-Americanism which BUSH largely caused in the hearts and minds of the citizenry of much of the world.

That, incidently is one of the benefits of dumping Bush's successor, McCain.

You nitwits who keep telling us that we don't have to CARE what foreignors think about our government couldn't possibly be more wrong.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Who are 'you nitwits'? Why the name calling? Friedman is most definitely not a conservative.

So, do you think Europe, et al are going to step up now that the old administration of the past 8 years is leaving?

6. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    You really won't know what Europe will do until they do it.

And you won't know what Obama will do until he does it.

Bush's arrogance alienated a lot of our allies. It wasn't needed or really the sign of a good leader.

7. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    I think it's possible. and what if they do? will you then accept that Obama being President isn't such a bad thing?

Bush is the one who alienated Europe. Obama isn't some magic fixer-upper who on 1/20/08 the world will forget all that America has done. If you think that then it's because you want an excuse to berate Obama when not much has changed in 6 months to a year.

I think the new administration is going to have to PROVE it's different than Bush, in policy and in attitude not just name.

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Europe had been stepping up despite the fact that their people were outraged by their government's support.

the majority of UK people opposed the UKs support of our invasion, yet they Brits still sent troops.

You missed that?

How about Spain?

Their government toppled because it supported the US invasion.

Don't you read the papers?

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    If they do, I'll be happily surprised and would say so. What about all of those that said that with a change in administration, to one less bellicose, etc., we would suddenly not find ourselves alone internationally? If they don't step up, instead want to ride the coat tails, should we pull those coat tails? Will it be acknowledged that it may never have been the US, but the international community that hides behind US? Notice, I'm not criticizing Obama, even if the results are less than some expected, rather for some to remove their blinders from the hypocrisy of international discourse.

10. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,720

:clap2:

I totally agree with this, but methinks Europe is one of those "Do as I say, not as I do" situations.. Very judgmental, very! Eff them.