Fox News Forgets Net Neutrality in Story on Net Neutrality

Discussion in 'Media' started by Modbert, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjwbFGRzpK4]YouTube - Fox News Forgets Net Neutrality in Story on Net Neutrality?[/ame]

Such dishonest framing and partisan reporting in what is suppose to be "fair and balanced news reporting" is very dangerous. Not only did Fox fail to identify that the person they had supporting this report was a Conservative/Libertarian but they completely did not mention Net Neutrality.

There would be no "running of the internet" if this were the pass.

In fact, Vinton Gray "Vint" Cerf who is known as the "Father of the Internet", co-inventor of the Internet Protocol and Vice President of Google (which also supports this) has spoken in favor of Net Neutrality.

In fact, in one hearing on the subject in 2006, Vinton said:

Now who's opinion shall I follow in this case? The Father of the Internet or John McCain who relies on his wife to use the computer?

John McCain Doesn't Know How to Use a Computer (Video) | Mother Jones

I Report, You Decide.

2. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
  3. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Net neutrality is a legislative "solution" to problems that are already being taken care of in the courts.

But I guess hiding behind the Fakes News strawman is a much more fun than discussing the topic in a *ahem* neutral manner, huh?

4. Oddball

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,409
  5. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Except this is just an extra measure. It's not like this is going to be the Government controlling the Internet like Fox News makes it out to be.

Google, Yahoo!, Vonage, Ebay, Amazon IAC/InterActiveCorp, Earthlink, Microsoft, and Steve Wozniak (founder of Apple) are all in support of legislation.

If Government WERE to control the Internet, these are the companies that would have the most to lose. So obviously them supporting Net Neutrality is a sign of something is wrong with the Cato Institute's argument in this.

6. Oddball

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    An "extra measure"?...Shirley, you can't say that with a straight face.

And if you believe that our benevolent dictators are going to pass legislation on this which doesn't give them some back door to rule the internet by decree, I have a bridge to sell you.

7. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    You're playing the what if game now. When said bill comes up and has said provision, you show me. Then I'll be against such legislation. However, until that time, Net Neutrality is a good thing. By definition, it is a good thing. A lot of the major companies involved with computers and the internet are for this legislation. THOSE companies would have the most to lose if the Government controlled the Internet. I'm debating the present, you're debating the what if future.

Furthermore, Fox's reporting on this issue was not only horrible but dishonest. AND this wasn't reported by Glenn Beck, it was on what is said by many to be the "fair and balanced" news. If you call that fair and balance, I got a bridge to sell YOU that's located in Alaska. Real cheap too.

8. Oddball

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    I'm playing no "what if" game whatsoever....I understand the nature of tyrants.

That we have Big User squaring off against Big ISP tells me more than I need to know about this, Fakes News nonwithstanding.

Big User is merely running to to the gubmint to fight their battles pre-emptively for them. Of course, the Godfather will more than likely return to them for a yet-to-be-determined "special favor" as some time in the future....Bet on it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Yep, you just keep thinking that.

Meanwhile, in reality:

Surprise: McCain Biggest Beneficiary of Telco/ISP Lobby Money - PC World

McCain has no reason to put this bill out right? No secret intentions? Right? Two to one says the companies wrote the bill anyway. Remember, McCain can't even use the computer, never mind the internet by himself.

10. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    LiberalViewer is definitely against Fox News. I don't have a problem with that. However, do I believe a guy from a huge Internet company like Google or do I believe Fox News? That's not a good question since large corporations have frequently used the government for their own benefit (called Crony Capitalism). Fox's guest, Jim Harper, makes some good points about Net Neutrality which LiberalViewer doesn't show. Here's a great discussion from a radio program about Net Neutrality with Jim Harper. This is from the same guy of people who has a big problem with big government organizations like Homeland Security and maintains this site: WashingtonWatch.com - Welcome to WashingtonWatch.com. Unfortunately, LiberalViewer, like so many on the Left, like to focus on Fox News rather than the dangers of big government pushed on the American by people like Obama, Pelosi and Reid. Why? Partisanship. They don't want to believe that their Leftist ("Big Government") leaders are part of the problem.

Everyone who believes big government needs to be watched should listen to this.

Jim Harper discusses net neutrality on WJR's The Frank Beckmann Show (Detroit, MI) | Cato Institute: Media Highlights

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1