Foul drinking water aboard airliners worsens

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 5stringJeff, Jan 19, 2005.

1. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Foul drinking water aboard airliners worsens
    By JOHN HEILPRIN
    The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Drinking water aboard the nation's airliners is getting worse, not better, the Environmental Protection Agency said Wednesday, even as officials await the implementation of government sanitation orders.

About one in six airliners in the latest round of tests conducted in November and December had drinking water that failed to meet federal safety standards, EPA said. Similar tests in August and September showed the water in one in eight aircraft testing positive for coliform bacteria.

The latest round of testing produced positive results for presence of the bacteria in 29 of 169 randomly selected passenger aircraft carrying domestic and international passengers. The tests were done on water from galley water taps and lavatory faucets on planes at 14 airports throughout the United States.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002154668_webairwater19.html

2. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Well that only serves to solidify the case for drinking bourbon & coke.

3. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Gotta get through those flights somehow! :alco:

4. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I fly quite often and I neve drink the water that is in the little fountains on the planes. They all (every airline I have flown on) have bottled water. I always assumed that the water on planes wasn't potable anyway......

5. Eightball

Eightball Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Pay a few bucks and always go for the bottled water.

I can't even understand how anyone would drink water from an airliner restroom lavatory anyway.

Airliners are just big flying motorhomes with bigger holding tanks for sewage, and bigger drinking water tanks for who knows what.

Whenever I prepare for a new outing in my RV, the water tank is thoroughly flushed and then I put a smidgeon of of chlorox/bleach in the water on the last filling to kill all the little critters/bacteria.

Now all the good old airlines have to do is treat their water tanks with some good old chlorine tabs or liquid in a minute application to lower that bacterial count down to zero.

Anyone remember the little pills that we used to put in our canteens in Scouts or back packing when we had to fill our canteens from a stream or lake? Seems like a next-to-zero cost thing for the airlines when they're flushing and filling their water tanks.

Regards, Eightballsidepocket

6. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

Wut he said....

Why would anybody drink water on an airline? You paid big bucks for the ticket on the airline and you are going to drink water? At least get them to give you that little bottle of water with your meal and drink that instead of out of their sink.

7. Eightball

Eightball Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Your right, bottled water should be Freebee on the airlines.

Regards, Eightballsidepocket :D

8. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I still have a small bottle of those in my old Boy Scout first aid Kit.

9. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Every airline I have ever flown on (and I have flown many different ones) bottled water is free.

10. Eightball

Eightball Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Everytime we traveled to Tijuana or Ensenada, Mexico on the Baja penisula back in the 60's and 70's we always made sure that we drank bottled water at the restaurants. I made the unfortunate mistake of brushing my teeth with the bathroom-sink tap water at a nice hotel South of Ensenada back in 1963. When I came home to San Jose, Calif. I had intermittent stomach cramps for a couple months. Symptoms did pass, but I did learn my lesson.

No one should expect this from U.S. airline drinking water! There is no excuse for this. We are not living in Tijuana, Mexico.

Regards, Eightballsidepocket :usa: