Folks, you best take this seriously and act soon.

Rocky Top Lady

Life is Good!
Nov 6, 2009
East Tennessee
Internet Kill Switch Approved by Senate Committee - cbs4.com

quote:

"Initially, the bill would have given the president unlimited authority on how long he could control the Internet, but an amendment passed Friday says he would have to get the approval of Congress to shut down the Internet for more than 120 days."

Please contact your congressman today and voice your opinion on this. We simply can not allow DC to take the internet. Think China, Iran, Venezuela.......

quote:

"Initially, the bill would have given the president unlimited authority on how long he could control the Internet, but an amendment passed Friday says he would have to get the approval of Congress to shut down the Internet for more than 120 days."

Please contact your congressman today and voice your opinion on this. We simply can not allow DC to take the internet. Think China, Iran, Venezuela.......

So that I don't have to repeat myself, this has been extensively discussed here:
http://www.usmessageboard.com/curre...ill-have-the-right-to-shut-down-internet.html

Remember the days when the Executive Branch having more and more power was a bad thing? That seems to have gone the way of "dissent is patriotic". :cool:

As I've said...Democrats are short-sighted. They don't think about what's going to happen when they have to hand all this power to a GOP-controlled Congress and White House. [insert delusional screeches of "That's never going to happen!!" here]

It will take the geeks about 2 minutes to figure out a way around anything Obama dishes out.

Ummm, it was originally proposed by bush

So?

If you werent such a partisan hack, you'd realize this was "dished out" by bush

I repeat: So? Do you expect me to say, "Oh, if Bush wanted it, it must be cool!"?

Not happening. In case you haven't noticed, I don't want an all-powerful government. Such power as this is too open to politically-motivated abuse.

I repeat: So? Do you expect me to say, "Oh, if Bush wanted it, it must be cool!"?

This may surprise you, but I spend ZERO time thinking about what you might say.:lol:

This may surprise you too, but this isn't about *YOU*
Never said it did, did I? I'm curious, though, that if you think it isn't about me, why you seem so intent on predicting my reaction -- especially since I spelled out my opposition, and you ignored it.

quote:

you conservatives had better be careful about this.

if you defeat it today you'll only have to re-institute it when you have a republican president in 3 years

what you need is a bill that denies a democrat the right to do this while giving a republican the right to do it

This may surprise you, but I spend ZERO time thinking about what you might say.:lol:

This may surprise you too, but this isn't about *YOU*
Never said it did, did I?

I'm curious, though, that if you think it isn't about me, why you seem so intent on predicting my reaction -- especially since I spelled out my opposition, and you ignored it.[/QUOTE]

It's time for your meds. I never predicted your reaction. Those must be the voices in your head talking.

quote:

Guess you missed FDR and the lead-up to and WW II?

It will take the geeks about 2 minutes to figure out a way around anything Obama dishes out.

No It was Clinton, no it was bush Sr, no it was always someone else.

I would like proof it was proposed by BUSH

Even under the chance it was and even less of a chance you can prove it

The fact the BO might do anything with this power except refuse to act on it is preposterous

No It was Clinton, no it was bush Sr, no it was always someone else.

I would like proof it was proposed by BUSH

Even under the chance it was and even less of a chance you can prove it

The fact the BO might do anything with this power except refuse to act on it is preposterous

The fact is, it was proposed by anyone who thought they had something to gain by doing so. Facts being what they are, the left is FAR and AWAY better at pandering -- while basically lying through its teeth -- to its constituents because the leftwingnut lemmings blindly follow along.

Neocons are no better. Hannity and Coulter are gospel.

Anyone that believes EITHER party should be stripped of their right to vote.

Ooo... "Partisan hack," pot meet kettle.

This was a bad idea under Bush, it's a bad idea now.

I am deeply wounded by the fact that you don't like me. Oh boo hoo!!

I never said I didn't like you. The fact is, I don't know you. All I know about you is what I read in your posts. And even what I have read would not necessarily preclude me from liking you were we to ever meet in the world outside the Internet.

FOlks, it turns out that the govt already has the power to "kill" the internet under the 1934 Telecommunications Act (as amended in 1996)

Joe Lieberman And The Myth of The Internet Kill Switch | TPMDC

It's no secret that Senator Joe Lieberman (I-CT) isn't the most popular guy in the Senate, or that his rather conservative positions on national security have left many people suspicious of his motives when it comes to national security legislation. So it should have come as no surprise when CNET chief political correspondent Declan McCullagh wrote that Lieberman intended to give the President the power of an "Internet kill switch" in the event of a national emergency -- and sparked an uproar.

But, surprising it was -- especially to Lieberman and his staff on the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs. They argued that, in fact, the bill limited the powers already invested in the President to shut down telecommunications providers. Leslie Phillips, the communications director for the committee, said, "The very purpose of this legislation is to replace the sledgehammer of the 1934 Communications Act with a scalpel." So, who is right?

A review of the 1934 Telecommunications Act (as amended in 1996) does indicate that the President has broad powers to simply shut off any and all regulated telecommunications if he deems it necessary for national security. Section 706 of the Act, entitled "War Emergency -- Powers of the President" says:

(d) Upon proclamation by the President that there exists a state or threat of war involving the United States, the President, if he deems it necessary in the interest of the national security and defense, may, during a period ending not later than six months after the termination of such state or threat of war and not later than such earlier date as the Congress by concurrent resolution may designate, (1) suspend or amend the rules and regulations applicable to any or all facilities or stations for wire communication within the jurisdiction of the United States as prescribed by the Commission, (2) cause the closing of any facility or station for wire communication and the removal therefrom of its apparatus and equipment, or (3) authorize the use or control of any such facility or station and its apparatus and equipment by any department of the Government under such regulations as he may prescribe, upon just compensation to the owners.

FOlks, it turns out that the govt already has the power to "kill" the internet under the 1934 Telecommunications Act (as amended in 1996)

Joe Lieberman And The Myth of The Internet Kill Switch | TPMDC

It's no secret that Senator Joe Lieberman (I-CT) isn't the most popular guy in the Senate, or that his rather conservative positions on national security have left many people suspicious of his motives when it comes to national security legislation. So it should have come as no surprise when CNET chief political correspondent Declan McCullagh wrote that Lieberman intended to give the President the power of an "Internet kill switch" in the event of a national emergency -- and sparked an uproar.

But, surprising it was -- especially to Lieberman and his staff on the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs. They argued that, in fact, the bill limited the powers already invested in the President to shut down telecommunications providers. Leslie Phillips, the communications director for the committee, said, "The very purpose of this legislation is to replace the sledgehammer of the 1934 Communications Act with a scalpel." So, who is right?

A review of the 1934 Telecommunications Act (as amended in 1996) does indicate that the President has broad powers to simply shut off any and all regulated telecommunications if he deems it necessary for national security. Section 706 of the Act, entitled "War Emergency -- Powers of the President" says:

(d) Upon proclamation by the President that there exists a state or threat of war involving the United States, the President, if he deems it necessary in the interest of the national security and defense, may, during a period ending not later than six months after the termination of such state or threat of war and not later than such earlier date as the Congress by concurrent resolution may designate, (1) suspend or amend the rules and regulations applicable to any or all facilities or stations for wire communication within the jurisdiction of the United States as prescribed by the Commission, (2) cause the closing of any facility or station for wire communication and the removal therefrom of its apparatus and equipment, or (3) authorize the use or control of any such facility or station and its apparatus and equipment by any department of the Government under such regulations as he may prescribe, upon just compensation to the owners.

It was a bad idea under Roosevelt, it's a bad idea now.

Forum List

Back