Folks, you best take this seriously and act soon.

FOlks, it turns out that the govt already has the power to "kill" the internet under the 1934 Telecommunications Act (as amended in 1996)

Joe Lieberman And The Myth of The Internet Kill Switch | TPMDC

It's no secret that Senator Joe Lieberman (I-CT) isn't the most popular guy in the Senate, or that his rather conservative positions on national security have left many people suspicious of his motives when it comes to national security legislation. So it should have come as no surprise when CNET chief political correspondent Declan McCullagh wrote that Lieberman intended to give the President the power of an "Internet kill switch" in the event of a national emergency -- and sparked an uproar.

But, surprising it was -- especially to Lieberman and his staff on the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs. They argued that, in fact, the bill limited the powers already invested in the President to shut down telecommunications providers. Leslie Phillips, the communications director for the committee, said, "The very purpose of this legislation is to replace the sledgehammer of the 1934 Communications Act with a scalpel." So, who is right?

A review of the 1934 Telecommunications Act (as amended in 1996) does indicate that the President has broad powers to simply shut off any and all regulated telecommunications if he deems it necessary for national security. Section 706 of the Act, entitled "War Emergency -- Powers of the President" says:

(d) Upon proclamation by the President that there exists a state or threat of war involving the United States, the President, if he deems it necessary in the interest of the national security and defense, may, during a period ending not later than six months after the termination of such state or threat of war and not later than such earlier date as the Congress by concurrent resolution may designate, (1) suspend or amend the rules and regulations applicable to any or all facilities or stations for wire communication within the jurisdiction of the United States as prescribed by the Commission, (2) cause the closing of any facility or station for wire communication and the removal therefrom of its apparatus and equipment, or (3) authorize the use or control of any such facility or station and its apparatus and equipment by any department of the Government under such regulations as he may prescribe, upon just compensation to the owners.

At least we now know for sure Bush did not do this one :lol::lol:

There are a lot of stupid laws on the books, let's just hope no one is stupid enough to pull the plug on the Internet!!!

It will take the geeks about 2 minutes to figure out a way around anything Obama dishes out.

Ummm, it was originally proposed by bush

Bush is gone. Geeks won't have to figure out Bush. They'll have to figure out Obama.

Obama will end up with a cut off switch for government internet. Which might be exactly what he wants, it allows him to act independently.

Still, it's hard not to fantasize about a world where the government is shut down.

FOlks, it turns out that the govt already has the power to "kill" the internet under the 1934 Telecommunications Act (as amended in 1996)

It's no secret that Senator Joe Lieberman (I-CT) isn't the most popular guy in the Senate, or that his rather conservative positions on national security have left many people suspicious of his motives when it comes to national security legislation. So it should have come as no surprise when CNET chief political correspondent Declan McCullagh wrote that Lieberman intended to give the President the power of an "Internet kill switch" in the event of a national emergency -- and sparked an uproar.

But, surprising it was -- especially to Lieberman and his staff on the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs. They argued that, in fact, the bill limited the powers already invested in the President to shut down telecommunications providers. Leslie Phillips, the communications director for the committee, said, "The very purpose of this legislation is to replace the sledgehammer of the 1934 Communications Act with a scalpel." So, who is right?

A review of the 1934 Telecommunications Act (as amended in 1996) does indicate that the President has broad powers to simply shut off any and all regulated telecommunications if he deems it necessary for national security. Section 706 of the Act, entitled "War Emergency -- Powers of the President" says:

It was a bad idea under Roosevelt, it's a bad idea now.

FDR was a closet dictator, and he controlled the media. Once WWII started he pretty much a tyrant as far as internal security goes. He authorized wiretaps after the Supreme Court said they were illegal. Good thing his name wasn't Nixon.:rolleyes:

He got the military to declare military assets "surplus" (we had military assets leading into the days of WWII?), sold them to US Steel who then turned around and sold them to Churchill as a private industry. Shades of Iran-Contra.:cuckoo:

But you can do that if you're a leftwinger.

There are a lot of stupid laws on the books, let's just hope no one is stupid enough to pull the plug on the Internet!!!

If you had read the article I linked to, you would see that this new legislation is meant to restrict the 1934 Telecom Act. I would think that a conservative such as yourself would support a reining in of Fed power; not calling it stupid

And the law only applies in time of war. I guess you want the enemy to continue to be able to communicate using the Internet.

(d) Upon proclamation by the President that there exists a state or threat of war involving the United States, the President, if he deems it necessary in the interest of the national security and defense, may, during a period ending not later than six months after the termination of such state or threat of war and not later than such earlier date as the Congress by concurrent resolution may designate, (1) suspend or amend the rules and regulations applicable to any or all facilities or stations for wire communication within the jurisdiction of the United States as prescribed by the Commission, (2) cause the closing of any facility or station for wire communication and the removal therefrom of its apparatus and equipment, or (3) authorize the use or control of any such facility or station and its apparatus and equipment by any department of the Government under such regulations as he may prescribe, upon just compensation to the owners.
Why does the president need to go beyond what is already in the Patriot Act, and what is his need at the present moment to spell out that part in this section about "any facility or station for wire communication" needs to be expanded on, unless it is not sufficiently broad enough, or unless it wasn't, prior to now, sufficiently ambiguous to reliably include the internet?

Last edited:
If you werent such a partisan hack, you'd realize this was "dished out" by bush

I repeat: So? Do you expect me to say, "Oh, if Bush wanted it, it must be cool!"?

This may surprise you, but I spend ZERO time thinking about what you might say.:lol:

This may surprise you too, but this isn't about *YOU*

I don't recall him asking how much time you spent thinking about what he might say :cuckoo: and secondly you addressed him and he answered you, what part of that makes it about him doyathink? :cuckoo:

Internet Kill Switch Approved by Senate Committee - cbs4.com

quote:

"Initially, the bill would have given the president unlimited authority on how long he could control the Internet, but an amendment passed Friday says he would have to get the approval of Congress to shut down the Internet for more than 120 days."

Please contact your congressman today and voice your opinion on this. We simply can not allow DC to take the internet. Think China, Iran, Venezuela.......

you conservatives had better be careful about this.

if you defeat it today you'll only have to re-institute it when you have a republican president in 3 years

what you need is a bill that denies a democrat the right to do this while giving a republican the right to do it

At that point we will count on you to aid us in defeating it. I wish we could count on your aid today.

Wait... are you indicating that President Obama is going to be defeated by a conservative in 2012?

Immie

I repeat: So? Do you expect me to say, "Oh, if Bush wanted it, it must be cool!"?

This may surprise you, but I spend ZERO time thinking about what you might say.:lol:

This may surprise you too, but this isn't about *YOU*

I don't recall him asking how much time you spent thinking about what he might say :cuckoo: and secondly you addressed him and he answered you, what part of that makes it about him doyathink? :cuckoo:

You're still "pissed off" at me for negrepping you after you lied and said you wouldn't care is someone negged you :lol:

That won't preclude some from blaming Bush.

Immie

I actually don't mind the patriot act.
I don't really mind this one, either. It's just business as usual, and I have faith in techies to figure it out and figure out workarounds.

Obama will not kill the internet. It's bigger than he is.

The government is there to protect us. Not from ourselves, either. The one thing you'll find most right wingers support is a strong military and strong defense measures.

Internet Kill Switch Approved by Senate Committee - cbs4.com

quote:

"Initially, the bill would have given the president unlimited authority on how long he could control the Internet, but an amendment passed Friday says he would have to get the approval of Congress to shut down the Internet for more than 120 days."

Please contact your congressman today and voice your opinion on this. We simply can not allow DC to take the internet. Think China, Iran, Venezuela.......

If DC takes the internet, a lot more people would be forced into sucking in oxygen, and perhaps getting jobs, and turning into productive members of society...

I actually don't mind the patriot act.
I don't really mind this one, either. It's just business as usual, and I have faith in techies to figure it out and figure out workarounds.

Obama will not kill the internet. It's bigger than he is.

Most conservatives supported it.

I on the other hand saw... Hillary Clinton in the Oval Office with the power of the Patriot Act under her control and whatever interpretations she came up with and thought... "Oh Shit!!!"

And another thing, If Al Gore had won the Presidency and 9/11 had happened and Al Gore had proposed the Patriot Act, I would not have been the only conservative thinking... "Oh Shit!!!"

Immie

Forum List

Back