Flu shot? Never!

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by PredFan, Oct 18, 2011.

1. PredFan

PredFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,623
    I'm 55 years old and I've never ever gotten a flu shot. I may never get one either. Everyone I know gets them so I'm pretty much protected.

2. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,403
    Until you get it.

3. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,824
    I got a flu shot once. My mother was breaking my balls about it so I got one. This is probably 40 some odd years ago when I was in my twenties.

The very next day, I came down with the flu.

Never again.

4. techieny

techieny Conservative Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +586
    I get em now. The last time I had the flu I felt like...

[​IMG]

5. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,726
    I had a flu shot in the Service and it made me sick. They should list the side effects of flu shots like they do for prescription drugs advertised on TV. Fatal episodes have occured. Personally I'd rather take my chances. Watch the feds hype up a non-existant epidemic and then claim to cure it. It happens every year.

6. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,897
    if you dont take the flu shot...at least take the pneumonia shot.....it works

7. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    I do the flu shots every year and I did the pneumonia shot about 5 years ago. I love feeling protected.

How Many People Die From Flu Each Year? Depends How You Slice The Data : Shots - Health Blog : NPR

August, 2010

CDC It helps to know how many people would have died from flu in an average year if you want to put the swine flu pandemic in perspective.

For as long as I can remember now, we've been saying 36,000 people die each year from the flu. When we've asked the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for updated figures, they told us 36K was the best they had.

Didn't seem quite right that it never changed year after year.

Now it turns out the 36K was calculated way back in 1999, when flu deaths hit a peak.

A new analysis of the past 31 flu seasons, put out by the CDC this afternoon, shows that 36K might have been a third too high. It's more like 23,607 per year, on average. But it all depends on how you slice the data.

The new average is an average of the past 31 seasons. It goes all the way back to 1976. But if you were to look at just the past 10 seasons, the average per year is higher — 32,743.

8. freedombecki

freedombecki Let's go swimmin'! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,933
    lol. Good one.

I got a shot a little over a week ago, and had a 102F fever the same night, felt like what you described for a couple of days. That wasn't near as bad as the last time I got the flu. I had it 3 solid months, and it. was. ugly. yuk.

I'd rather have 2 days of symptoms than 3 months of much worse symptoms than that.

I heard this year's flu will be exceptionally bad, so my husband got one the same day as me. He had zero symptoms, and now we don't have to worry about him all winter long, at least, I hope not.

9. Kooshdakhaa

Kooshdakhaa Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +598
    I'm with you. I'm almost 59 and I've never had a flu shot. Never had the flu that I know of. I'm more afraid of the flu shots than the flu.

I also hate the scare tactics and all the pressure to get the shots. It's kind of creepy.

Just like the post right above mine....no offense... this year's flu is going to be really bad. I hear that over and over and over. The swine flu was going to kill us all. The bird flu, too. They're going to mutate and wipe us out.

The stress of thinking about it probably does more damage than the flu itself.

Our Safeway grocery stores are offering 10% off groceries if you get a flu shot there. I'm going to ask them tonight what their big interest in me getting a flu shot is. I mean, really. I want the fucking 10% off without the flu shot, or I'll start shopping at the new super Wal-Mart down the street sooner than planned. Just one more reason to shop somewhere else.

10. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,079
    I got one back in college and came down deathly ill...my doctor said if I've had a bad reaction in the past, then don't worry about getting one. The same thing had happened to my Grandfather.