Flight Simulator Games Have Gone Wild

Make sure to get a proper controller.

IMG_0273.thumb.JPG.6a5fd3114e9b95ff3afd60f91231aabd.JPG

When I was stationed with VFA-131 (FA-18 outfit), we had a competition in my shop, and the winner would get a trip to the dome simulator, chaperoned by a pilot.

I won, and lemmie tell ya, that is probably the best video game I've ever played. There was an FA-18 cockpit inside what looked like a huge basketball. When the simulation started, it looked extremely realistic. I flew a couple of dogfights with the pilot that brought me, and managed to flame out the engines by doing a maneuver that the jet wasn't designed to do.

Well, the plane started into a spinning dive, and I couldn't get the engines restarted, and was thinking this is gonna hurt when I crash. The plane crashed, went through the ground, and the pilot came over the headset and told me to just pull back on the stick and I'd be in the air again.

Strangest shock sensation went through my body, both when I crashed, and again when I flew up through the ground to get back in the air.

Afterwards, the pilot told me that he was going to drive me home because I shouldn't be riding a bicycle for the next 30 to 45 min. I asked why, and he said it was because the first couple of times, you end up with vertigo for about 15 to 20 min. Shortly after he said that, the world rotated 90 degrees and I almost threw up.

And, while the after effects may not be the most pleasant, if you ever get the chance to fly in a military simulator, TAKE IT. Probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Forum List

Back