Five Favorite Authors

Near impossible task here but a good question non the less.

I can do top five current "fun" authors to read. (in no particular order)

- Jim Butcher

- Tom Robbins

- Terry Pratchett

- Jasper Fforde

- Neil Gaiman

Oh, good. You can be my secondary list except I have never heard of Tom Robbins. But the other four are huge for me and I cannot believe I left off Jim Butcher!!

No shame really in not having heard of Robbins. Though he is pretty big he is also a bit dated compared to the rest of our list. I think you might like his stuff.

Tom Robbins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My top three Tom Robbins books:
Still Life with Woodpecker, Jitterbug Perfume and Skinny Legs and All
Hmmmm. Someone recently suggested Jitterbug Perfume to me. That makes this the second time I've seen someone recommend that one.

*note to self

Oh, good. You can be my secondary list except I have never heard of Tom Robbins. But the other four are huge for me and I cannot believe I left off Jim Butcher!!

No shame really in not having heard of Robbins. Though he is pretty big he is also a bit dated compared to the rest of our list. I think you might like his stuff.

Tom Robbins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My top three Tom Robbins books:
Still Life with Woodpecker, Jitterbug Perfume and Skinny Legs and All
Hmmmm. Someone recently suggested Jitterbug Perfume to me. That makes this the second time I've seen someone recommend that one.

*note to self

Good one. You can read any Robbins book in any order you choose fwiw.

Barnes and Noble always have a small number of his books on the shelves as does almost any decent used book store (at a better price).

starting my list:

fiction:
John Irving
Robert Heinlein

non-fiction:
P.J. O'Rourke

poetry:
Robert Browning

I'll fill in the rest as they come to me as I come out of the fog...

Last edited:
My top 5, in no particular order:

William Shakespeare
Neal Stephenson
John Steinbeck
Alexis de Tocqueville
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

G, is this the kind of reading you've done your whole life, or do you read anything more current?

Five isn't enough!

Flannery O'Connor
William Faulkner
Harper Lee
Eugene O'Neill
Gabriel Garcia Marquez-Tillie Olson, TIE for 5th.

More:
Gunter Grass
Toni Morrison
Anne Sexton
Thornton Wilder
Arthur Miller

Eleanor Burns - Quilt in a Day. I like all her books because she has made attractive quilting easy and fast enough for people who work to make quilts in a short amount of time with her attention to time-saving techniques and traditional quilts. I took several classes from Eleanor on her quick Trip Around the World and other quilts, and have enjoyed numerous of her videos. She's great for working women who just want their family to have a few heirlooms, who wouldn't be able to provide them if it weren't for Eleanor Burns and her great company, Quilt In A Day.

Jinny Beyer--Her Encyclopedia of Quilting is one of the best out there, and she has done more for teaching math to quilters in two and three dimensions than anyone. She makes fabulous hand-done quilts, too, and says she can make one by hand in the time it takes most people to make one by machine. She's also a great lecturer. I attended her lectures twice at different Quilting in the Teton festivals held every fall in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

Barbara Brackman is my favorite quilt historian. Her books and fabric lines (when she does them) focus on the width of quilting, quilt patterns, and history, history, history of the American woman whose bond with others historically was over a quilter's frame with other community or church women, making a quilt for someone they loved and honored. She's written several tomes on fabric history, too, from which one can actually tell the date of a quilt if it's over 100 years old, all the way back to Colonial times in America. She has also designed lines of fabric that become quite valuable once the yardage hits the stores. There just isn't any more if someone likes a certain piece after about six weeks, of that you can be sure of. Barbara Brackman's Quilt encyclopedia on pieced as well as one on applique are wonderful if you're trying to name someone's family's quilt pattern.

Elly Sienkiewitz and her book Baltimore Beauties and Beyond takes the Maryland antebellum applique craze and has made headlines for quilters by sharing her exquisite hand techniques, embroidery, embellishment, and tricks. If you wait one day past the first day trying to get into one of her classes, good luck to ya, because it ain't gonna happen. I bought her first book, "Spoken Without A Word," of which I have a very rare copy (somewhere), and she shares her handed-down knowledge of meanings stitched into quilts that women of Colonial until the invention of the automobile knew.

Theta Happ, "Charted Needle Design" - Another woman who dedicated her life to teaching women how to do things quickly on their sewing machines--things you'd never dream you could do on a sewing machine. Her Charted needle Design book was for using standard embroidery threads over Swiss fine sock-knitting needles that had a hand made look. She was a master of using that sewing machine to its fullest extend. God rest her dear soul and inspiration to ordinary American women who were lucky enough to learn from her books or at her international school of sewing held annually in her home town of Oklahoma City. She knew everything and shared it with whoever just happened to be looking over her shoulder.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.....

Shakespeare
Stephen King
Edgar Allen Poe
Jane Austen
Georgette Heyer
Victoria Holt

But those are just fiction writers. I can't narrow it down.

I also have favorite non-fiction writers....

And I'm not sure how to classify the authors of the Bible, or even really how to name them.

Eleanor Burns - Quilt in a Day. I like all her books because she has made attractive quilting easy and fast enough for people who work to make quilts in a short amount of time with her attention to time-saving techniques and traditional quilts. I took several classes from Eleanor on her quick Trip Around the World and other quilts, and have enjoyed numerous of her videos. She's great for working women who just want their family to have a few heirlooms, who wouldn't be able to provide them if it weren't for Eleanor Burns and her great company, Quilt In A Day.

Jinny Beyer--Her Encyclopedia of Quilting is one of the best out there, and she has done more for teaching math to quilters in two and three dimensions than anyone. She makes fabulous hand-done quilts, too, and says she can make one by hand in the time it takes most people to make one by machine. She's also a great lecturer. I attended her lectures twice at different Quilting in the Teton festivals held every fall in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

Barbara Brackman is my favorite quilt historian. Her books and fabric lines (when she does them) focus on the width of quilting, quilt patterns, and history, history, history of the American woman whose bond with others historically was over a quilter's frame with other community or church women, making a quilt for someone they loved and honored. She's written several tomes on fabric history, too, from which one can actually tell the date of a quilt if it's over 100 years old, all the way back to Colonial times in America. She has also designed lines of fabric that become quite valuable once the yardage hits the stores. There just isn't any more if someone likes a certain piece after about six weeks, of that you can be sure of. Barbara Brackman's Quilt encyclopedia on pieced as well as one on applique are wonderful if you're trying to name someone's family's quilt pattern.

Elly Sienkiewitz and her book Baltimore Beauties and Beyond takes the Maryland antebellum applique craze and has made headlines for quilters by sharing her exquisite hand techniques, embroidery, embellishment, and tricks. If you wait one day past the first day trying to get into one of her classes, good luck to ya, because it ain't gonna happen. I bought her first book, "Spoken Without A Word," of which I have a very rare copy (somewhere), and she shares her handed-down knowledge of meanings stitched into quilts that women of Colonial until the invention of the automobile knew.

Theta Happ, "Charted Needle Design" - Another woman who dedicated her life to teaching women how to do things quickly on their sewing machines--things you'd never dream you could do on a sewing machine. Her Charted needle Design book was for using standard embroidery threads over Swiss fine sock-knitting needles that had a hand made look. She was a master of using that sewing machine to its fullest extend. God rest her dear soul and inspiration to ordinary American women who were lucky enough to learn from her books or at her international school of sewing held annually in her home town of Oklahoma City. She knew everything and shared it with whoever just happened to be looking over her shoulder.

What an awesome post, ma'am! Thank you. :) :thup:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back