Financial Times Expert: Piketty Book = Garbage

Edgetho

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2012
Anybody else as shocked as I am? Gosh-Golly Mr Green Jeans, I sure yam. :eek:

But ti doesn't matter. The lie is out there and we all know how that works.

A lie gets into the American LSM consciousness and, once there, no amount of logic and reason can ever dislodge it.

libturds will write articles defending it, then they'll use them as references and citations to defend the next writings to defend, then they'll use those to defend the previous writings, then they'll use the last ones to defend the next ones, and the next ones to defend th alst ones and.....

You get the picture.

Financial Times: Expert Review Finds That Thomas Piketty's "Capital in the 21st Century" Used Erroneous Numbers in Making Its Predictions; When Correct Numbers Are Used, His Central Thesis Fails to Eventuate
—Ace

It gets better.

His defense gets better, I mean.

Some issues concern sourcing and definitional problems. Some numbers appear simply to be constructed out of thin air.

But, according to a Financial Times investigation, the rock-star French economist appears to have got his sums wrong.

Piketty's main "contribution," and I use that term advisedly, was attempting to prove that as the rate of return on investment in a country exceeded the growth in GDP, it tended towards a positive feedback loop (similar to that postulated in Global Warming) and caused even further gains in passive investment wealth growth while general wealth stagnating.

Basically, it's The Rich Get Richer proved (supposedly) by rigorous statistical analysis. And this then supports Piketty's conclusion that Something Must Be Done.

But when the correct numbers are used, his formulas demonstrate no rise in income inequality in, for example, Europe -- with the right numbers, Europe shows no tendency towards growing inequality since 1970.

Okay, here's where it gets very Global Warming-esque indeed:

Contacted by the FT, Prof Piketty, said he had used “a very diverse and heterogeneous set of data sources ... [on which] one needs to make a number of adjustments to the raw data sources."

The whole article is worth reading, but FT keeps putting up warnings about cutting and pasting, so I don't want to include more than that.

FT is pretty serious with its firewalls, so a lot of their previous articles on this can't be viewed, but you can watch the author of the article cited here discussing the problems with Piketty's math in this video.

Skip to 0:52-1:30 to see Giles discussing Piketty just adding a "2" to a formula for no apparent reason, because, Giles speculates, the formula "didn't seem high enough" without adding a little somethin'-somethin'.

Now maybe there is some justifiable reason for adding the two, but apparently Piketty does not alert people to the addition, nor explain his rationale for adding it; his claims are, therefore, not transparently arrived at, and of dubious value.

You have to be able to replicate a scientific experiment or, in this case, an ostensibly scientific analysis. An outside observer needs to be able to evaluate each estimation, assumption, and "adjustment to the numbers."

Beyond just that, though, the whole video is pretty devastating. Giles shows that, contra Piketty, there is no rising income inequality in the UK, and there simply isn't enough data to say anything much about the US.

Piketty's predictions -- or, I guess, his scenarios for helping you think about the future -- seem, at the moment, to be based on cherry-picked numbers and assumptions pulled from a dreamjournal.

A Very Heterogenous and Diverse Set of Data Sources

...proves that I cannot be blamed for what eventuated in Your Mouth.

Edge:

dimocraps are...... What they are.

Wise up, people.

We have steadily growing inequality, does your article somehow make it all go away or less prone to political and regulatory corruption? I know you like to kiss rich man ass like the other conservatives but you seem to reject the very existence of wealth piling up at the top and somehow not translating to jobs or rising wages.

There appear to be many people who are so consumed by their partisan ideology that they convince themselves that everyone else will just automatically believe their bullshit without checking it out.

It's beginning to look as if Piketty started from his conclusion and did his best to work backwards from there. Standard operating procedure of partisans, and an example of why they cannot be believed.

We have steadily growing inequality, does your article somehow make it all go away or less prone to political and regulatory corruption? I know you like to kiss rich man ass like the other conservatives but you seem to reject the very existence of wealth piling up at the top and somehow not translating to jobs or rising wages.

The poor are getting poorer for one simple reason -- You'r getting more and more stupid by the day.

I'm talking mouth-breathing, drool-cup stupid.

Best jobs for people like you (you are a prime example of 'stupid') are unskilled jobs in manufacturing, industry, etc. I worked there myself until liberal scum not only shut down the industry I worked in (300,000 Steel Jobs lost in Cleveland ALONE) but you destroyed a whole City. And not just one. Dozens of Cities have been utterly destroyed by dimocrap scum. Dozens

And what do you stupid motherfuckers do? You make it GODDAMNED near impossible for those jobs to exist in this Country.

You are so incredibly stupid that you vote for thieves who are so corrupt that they take sides in Union v. Company disputes to the point that the Companies just say 'Fuck You' and leave. Either for China, India, Malaysia, Korea, Pakistan or they just disappear into the thin air.

You are so incredibly stupid that you vote for people that make, enforce and create, out of thin air, regulations that make it GODDAMNED IMPOSSIBLE for Companies to open new Factories so again, the Companies either leave or disappear.

You live in a City, stupid? Sounds like you do. Only Urban Centers seem to produce humans as stupid as you obviously are.

Test my theory and drive around your disgusting, filthy, dirty shit-hole of a City.

Look at all the boarded-up Factories, all the closed-down businesses, all the condemned, run down, dilapidated old buildings that used to house people making decent, if not spectacular, wages. But good enough to raise kids, support a wife and live a good lifestyle.

But you won't. Know why?

The problem isn't anybody else, the problem isn't the 'Rich'. The problem is you.

You're stupid.

And oh, the BULLSHIT about "The rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer"?

It's garbage

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/356217-financial-times-expert-piketty-book-garbage.html

Look in the mirror. That is where you will find your problem.

Stop letting dimocrap scum do your thinking for you. Try it for yourself once n a while

We dont have growing inequality. Not to the degree proposed The numbers proposed fail to take into account gov't benefits. Count them and it is hardly the crisis the Dems want to claim.
Picketty's book is shit. Another Marxist piece of euro-trash that of course the elites here go wild over.

The poor are getting poorer for one simple reason -- You'r getting more and more stupid by the day.

I'm talking mouth-breathing, drool-cup stupid.

Best jobs for people like you (you are a prime example of 'stupid') are unskilled jobs in manufacturing, industry, etc. I worked there myself until liberal scum not only shut down the industry I worked in (300,000 Steel Jobs lost in Cleveland ALONE) but you destroyed a whole City. And not just one. Dozens of Cities have been utterly destroyed by dimocrap scum. Dozens

And what do you stupid motherfuckers do? You make it GODDAMNED near impossible for those jobs to exist in this Country.

You are so incredibly stupid that you vote for thieves who are so corrupt that they take sides in Union v. Company disputes to the point that the Companies just say 'Fuck You' and leave. Either for China, India, Malaysia, Korea, Pakistan or they just disappear into the thin air.

You are so incredibly stupid that you vote for people that make, enforce and create, out of thin air, regulations that make it GODDAMNED IMPOSSIBLE for Companies to open new Factories so again, the Companies either leave or disappear.

You live in a City, stupid? Sounds like you do. Only Urban Centers seem to produce humans as stupid as you obviously are.

Test my theory and drive around your disgusting, filthy, dirty shit-hole of a City.

Look at all the boarded-up Factories, all the closed-down businesses, all the condemned, run down, dilapidated old buildings that used to house people making decent, if not spectacular, wages. But good enough to raise kids, support a wife and live a good lifestyle.

But you won't. Know why?

The problem isn't anybody else, the problem isn't the 'Rich'. The problem is you.

You're stupid.

And oh, the BULLSHIT about "The rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer"?

It's garbage

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/356217-financial-times-expert-piketty-book-garbage.html

Look in the mirror. That is where you will find your problem.

Stop letting dimocrap scum do your thinking for you. Try it for yourself once n a while

Wait just a minute. Did you edgy, just admit that you are drool cup, mouth breathing stupid. And the proof you offered for this admission was that you used to work in a factory?

Hey, just to let you know, your factory job is gone. But you are still drool cup, mouth breathing stupid.

Who you gonna blame that on?

We dont have growing inequality. Not to the degree proposed The numbers proposed fail to take into account gov't benefits. Count them and it is hardly the crisis the Dems want to claim.
Picketty's book is shit. Another Marxist piece of euro-trash that of course the elites here go wild over.

Hey the rabid rabbit strikes again.

Rabbit, who is it that is "proposing" growing inequality? Besides the Rethugs.

Hey the rabid rabbit strikes again.

Rabbit, who is it that is "proposing" growing inequality? Besides the Rethugs.

It's Zeke, idiot stumpbroke of USMB, weighing in from the Lazy Boy.
Zeke, man. You have to be able to read to participate here.

Forum List

Back