Finally! . . . .

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
. . . . canned pumpkin is back on the store shelves. It's been almost a year since I've seen any; bad weather ruined the crops.

. . . . canned pumpkin is back on the store shelves. It's been almost a year since I've seen any; bad weather ruined the crops.

First thing i did last year when i heard that news was to go out and buy two cases.

Im glad its back though!

fresh cooked pumpkin freezes very well. we bought about 20 pumpkins last year, cooked em and froze em.

edit:we scooped them before freezing :redface:

First thing i did last year when i heard that news was to go out and buy two cases.

Im glad its back though!

I wasn't paying attention and didn't know there would be such a shortage. I had found a fantastic pumpkin cake recipe and searched high and low for the right sized pan (9" square). Finally found it, made the cake twice and . . . . boom, no more pumpkin.

Guess what I'm baking today? :eusa_drool:

Im glad its back though!

I wasn't paying attention and didn't know there would be such a shortage. I had found a fantastic pumpkin cake recipe and searched high and low for the right sized pan (9" square). Finally found it, made the cake twice and . . . . boom, no more pumpkin.

OOOHH...both of you....care to share the recipes?

fresh cooked pumpkin freezes very well. we bought about 20 pumpkins last year, cooked em and froze em.

Ya know del, ive never liked fresh pumpkin. Ive tried using the "sugar pie" pumpkins too and they just don't taste right to me.

The pumpkin crops were horrible last year...we have to blame Bush for that.

But, the pumpkins are plentiful this year! Thank you Obama!

:lol:

Our freezer isn't big enough to hold 20 pumpkins. Do you have one of those walk-in freezers or something?:confused:

Im glad its back though!

OOOHH...both of you....care to share the recipes?

I guess I should have started this thread in the food forum. :redface:

I got this out of a Good Housekeeping magazine quite some time ago. They are very yummy. I like the cake without the icing too . . . they would make great muffins.

Frosted Pumpkin Cake Squares

1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use Hollywood Safflower oil)
1 cup flour
1 tspn. cinnamon
1 tspn. baking soda
1/2 tspn. baking powder
1/2 tspn. salt

Prehead over to 350; grease 9" square pan.

At medium speed, beat sugar and eggs 2 minutes. Beat in pumpkin and oil. At low speed add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt; beat 1 minute.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool pumpkin cake in pan on wire rack.

Icing

3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup cream cheese
2 tblspn butter, softened
1/2 tspn. vanilla

Combine all ingredients and beat at low speed until smooth.

Makes 9 servings. Each serving: 350 cals; 4 g protein; 45 g carbs; 18 g fat; 1 g fiber; 54 mg cholesterol; 360 mg sodium.

I tried this cake in an 8" x 8" pan, both a metal and glass one, and it would not cook in the center. I even extended the baking time by 10 minutes and it still wouldn't cook. I found a 9" x 9" Nordic Ware aluminum pan and it came out perfect.

Our freezer isn't big enough to hold 20 pumpkins. Do you have one of those walk-in freezers or something?:confused:

you bake them, scoop out the insides, drain the pulp and put that in freezer bags.

but you knew that, didn't you? ;)

pumpkin up here's crop is doing great this year...lots of them, thank goodness!

i use the mix on Libbey's pumpkin for the pie....it always comes out perfect!

Forum List

Back